Are you ever truly satisfied with your fishing?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

When you're struggling to catch then if you're like me you'll be chopping and changing, bait, shotting pattern, depth you're fishing at even hook length and hook size.

But when you're having one of the red letter days (not ever often with me) then I'll feed a couple of swims and fish the same bait, same set up if I'm catching, it's only afterwards that I wish I'd tried something different would I have caught more and /or bigger fish.
So when you're having one of those days where everything is going great do you stick with it or change to see what happens

sam vimes

Reaction score
I never change a winning formula. I may try tweaking things to improve success rates, but no wholesale changes unless things aren't working. Sometimes patience and faith in a bait is rewarded more than chopping and changing.

Reaction score
Gary Knowles once said to me - "if you think it then DO IT"

How often have you sat there, had an idea, but didn't put into action.

I must confess I am guilty of sticking with the none winning formula sometimes.

B

binka

If i'm catching and think it's reasonable for the conditions or for whatever i've set out to catch then i'll usually try and exhaust what i'm doing rather than change anything.

More often than not when I try something new it's premeditatedly and i'll set off with the intention... not always the best idea as it might not be suitable once you arrive for what you're experimenting with.

john step

Reaction score
"are you ever satisfied with your fishing". On a particular day when things go right yes, but maybe it is the feeling that something could have improved the catch rate is one of the elements that keep us coming back to strive more?
I once had a work colleague who carp fished. He had a 40lb. carp when they were very very rare. He gave up fishing, telling me that every carp smaller than that seemed to leave him flat. The big carp seemed satisfy him. I could not personally understand it and feel he was missing some form of basic love/feeling for the sport to begin with? Anyone else come across this sort of thing?

richiekelly

Reaction score
On a syndicate water my son used to fish while talking to another angler he noticed some very large (8 to 10 lbs) Tench feeding a rod length out, they were feeding on some bait that had dropped there while spodding, when asked if he was going to try to catch one his reply no they are not Carp. I really don't understand that attitude.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I once had a work colleague who carp fished. He had a 40lb. carp when they were very very rare. He gave up fishing, telling me that every carp smaller than that seemed to leave him flat. The big carp seemed satisfy him. I could not personally understand it and feel he was missing some form of basic love/feeling for the sport to begin with? Anyone else come across this sort of thing?

Got a friend who travelled virtually to the Franco Spanish border in September, had a 34 and a 38lb Carp plus a 60lb+ Sturgeon, he was disappointed as he only fishes for large Carp! He'll be at Rainbow Lake in the spring.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The first 40lb+ carp (42lb Common) I ever saw was at Billing in the late 60’s, although quite a few big 20s and few small 30s had been taken from there since the late 50’s it was really a sight to behold at the time.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Gary Knowles once said to me - "if you think it then DO IT"

How often have you sat there, had an idea, but didn't put into action.

I must confess I am guilty of sticking with the none winning formula sometimes.

Three times this summer I have decided to move swims, even though I was catching steadily.

I caught significantly more when I have moved. One occasion resulted in 290lb+, another with a catch of 130lb+.....both catches included huge tench and bream.

On the flip side - I stuck in a swim in early spring, even when caught up in an horrendous blizzard - 140 miles from home. I ended up catching a massive chub, just as it was getting dark.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I think I'm satisfied with my fishing but that doesn't necessarily mean I've caught the fish I set out to catch. I usually go with a plan and stick to it within the boundaries of the method I've chosen.
If I'm going on the lead then that's it for the day but I will ring the changes with end rigs, baits etc if things are slow. Similarly with the float in that I might change to a slider or the lift and experiment with different floats (I like top do this as I make my own!) but I stay with the float for the day....

What I always want from my fishing trip is leaving the water knowing I've given my all for the day. I don't like 'I should've done this or that' but didn't do it because I was lazy or couldn't be bothered. I hate that in me, or anyone else!!
Personally I think I work hard at my sport and I like to think I'm reasonably successful because of it. I despair when I see people sit for hours for no result, but far worse that they didn't make any effort to help themselves........how many times have I seen that...

Today I caught two medium carp, nothing big but I was well pleased after sitting in the cold from 7am.....I was 'well' satisfied!!

Nice one shaunfox!!!!!

Last edited: