Angling Books

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yesterday, I held in my hand an extremely rare book. It was "The Angler's Instructor" by William Bailey, a first edition - 1857.

2nd and 3rd editions can be obtainedfor figures between£100 and £200, depending on the quality. But a good condition 1st edition is obviously worth much much more.

All this got me thinking. Have I got anything rare and valuable. To the shock of my life I discovered that a couple of my Tony Miles books are worth hundreds of pounds.

But pride of place must go to my leather spined, signed, limited edition copy of Richard Walker - Biography of an Angling LegendbyBarrie Rickards. These books are now all sold out, only 99 copies were printed. Watch the value of this book climb in the next year or two. Even the first edition clothback with dust cover has escalated in price.

But are angling books a good investment? In my opinion some are, whilst others are not.

But strangely enough some of the best angling books are available quite cheaply, maybe because they were so popular they ran to several editions. One of the most succesful angling books in recent years is "African Fly-Fishing Handbook" by Bill Hansford-Steele. This tome, published by Struik in Capetownhas run to many many editions in the past 12 years.

I feel pround to have beeninvolved with the production of this book.

Keith M

Reaction score
I was introduced to this site by another angling book collector; Books its a great site for collectors or anyone who wants to find out how much their books may be worth; plus some of them have been signed by the authors.

I have approximately 150 angling books which is a very small collection compared to some, ranging from around 1905 onwards plus a few moderneditions of Waltons 'The Compleat Angler'.mine are worthfrom approx £5 to £130 each of course they usually need to have their dust covers and be in really good condition to be of any worth.

This site has a big list of Angling booksthat the site owner is either looking for or that he and others are selling, I hope it is of some use to any collecters on here; or anyone wanting to know how much their books may be worth.

J K

Reaction score
Keith,

I'm getting a page load error, address not found.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
River Reads in Devon has supplied me with some very collectable books, and items of tackle. Website dosen't seem to be avalible at the moment....... hope thats not bad news?

Peter Jacobs may know more?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I may be the odd one out here, I have many rare angling books, some even more difficult to find than the one you held yesterday Ron. But I have never bought a book whatever the price as a source of investment, many do that I know, but that has never been a consideration for me.

All the books in my library have been aquired over many years with one criteria- ''does the author move me'' or does he write in a manner/style that finds in me a kindred spirit. Even the one you refer to ''W. Bailey's Anglers Instructor. Bailey has been described as pompous and choleric, by none other than John Norman, yet I find his writing quaint and full of conviction, supremely confident in his tackle and methods of the day.

As regards booksellers having dealt with many over the last thirty odd years, I have mixed feelings, so I will discreetly withdraw at this point!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"hope thats not bad news?"

On the contrary Mark, it is good news as there is a new website complete with soundclips that should be on-line within the next 48 hours.

Also, look out on the new site for a signed copy of CY's new book.

PS I am just a customer of RiverReads and have no commercial interest whatsoever - but a very satisfied customer at that.

Keith Armishaw

Reaction score
Hi

I do have a vested interest in River Reads as my wife is the owner (whereas I know my place and am the lackey) Sorry the website is down, it is being upgraded which can take 48 hours apparently. The new site should be more interesting for customers with the book stock, bibliographies of my favourite anglers with short biographies and sounclips on those of Fred Buller and the late Fred J Taylor talking about their books. Special offers (the current one is for SIGNED copies of "Out of the Blue" - Chris yates new title) plus a diary of travels etc. It should offer something for everyone to read and a quantum jump improvement from the last one.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Good news then.

If anyone is around the area I suggest popping in. It's an 'aladdin's cave', full of angling history.

Look forward to the new website.

keora

Reaction score
Depends what you call rare.

Last month I bought Gone Fishing by William Nathan. A lovely book, written at the end of the fifties, the author talks about all sorts of angling - bass, sea trout in south Wales, bream and tench from lakes in London. I got it from Coch y Bondhu books, and was surprised to see that some of the Fred J Taylor books which I own are now valued at about £100 to £150.

Over the years I've acquired about fifty angling books - I didn't buy them with the hope they'd increase in value, I just bought them because they were good to read.

PerhapsFJT's books are still popular because they evoke memories of good days fishing, and don't dwell too much on tackle and baits and rigs.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I have a signed copy of "Fishing Days" by Geoffrey Bucknall published in 1966

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I have some ~nice books~ but nothing that rare...

8 year old daughter comes first financially

Noel80

Reaction score
I have a signed copy of Advanced Coarse Fishing by someone called Graham Marsden. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Would it be worth more if it was un-signed?/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif