Sunday looking OK. weatherise. Anyone....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Son of Meldrew and I fished Lakeside fishery in Bucks. A nice quiet lake run by a very nice couple who's sole intention is you enjoy your visit.
To cut a long story short he battered me. Fishing short on the pole he had skimmers, roach and perch on maggot over groundbait and chop.
I left my pole in the bag and opted for wagg and mag at distance in open water.
My paltry 2lbish was no match for his 8lbish.

ravey

Reaction score
Had a day after chub on the middle Trent; not a single bite. I had hoped that despite the high water conditions (but gradually dropping), I might have had one or two. The day was nice and mild, and I had expected that after being a raging torrent for weeks on end, the chub might have been a bit hungrier. I still don't know what I would have done differently to improve my chances...ah well, there's always next time.

ronroach

Reaction score
Spent the afternoon Perchin. had a few, no size. Just going dark and look who scoffed my worm :eek:

I thought this is a perch and a half...then I saw culprit. Oh well, all welcome.

Ron.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Out on the river later in the week, a bit busy early on (even us retired folk get busy though it's doing things we want to do......;))

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Got to the river and surprised it was not too bad, a foot above level but, calm and very fish-able. Managed the float and chose a bridge swim just next to the brick stantion. Set up a quill, 14 hook and a lump of bread flake after throwing a handful of bread in. Sat down to set up my landing net and the rod wrapped round, a nice chub of about 2+lb. After that two small roach for the rest of the afternoon. I did change swim for the last hour but, still no more chub but, plent of small roach active.

Temps were 50f and 48f the water extremely good for the month. Nice day and nice to wet a line.

One surprise was seeing a load of tiny small fry attacking a bit of bread. 1 inch long, don't usually see that in January, more like August. Maybe the very cold spring and late spawning has something to do with it.

I just checked my records and 48f equals the highest water temp for January I have recorded since 1999. The previous one was January 7th last year. Before that it was 46f January 27th 2008.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went again today for a few hours, and for what it's worth I took the water temperature which turned out to be a constant 44F (6,7C). This on a south Bucks still water.......

Only small stuff though..

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nabbed a few hours this afternoon before it starts raining, again. The result was a grand total of 14 grayling. The downside was that no more than half of them were net fish. Great for the future, not such great sport. Bodes very well for the future though.

denzinho

Reaction score
I caught a minnow? thought they were a bit rare this time of year. I also caught 2 gudgeon and 1 brown trout weighing roughly 3lb. The ****** had me going good for around 4 minutes on a 2lb hook link. I did however hook something special previously which i did not land :(. I think it was a roach of around 1.5lb after having it on for around a minute. Atleast i saw what i hooked much better than not knowing I think.

P.S I don't weigh trout as I want to get them back in the water ASAP

Last edited: