Bulk Mono, which to buy ?

Windy

Reaction score
Quick question, buying some bulk spools backing mono.

All basically the same price and length,
6lb line,

choice between:

Berkley Abu Garcia XTS
Dinsmores Syndicate Carp XT or
Ultima Power Super ?

Which to buy ? Recommendations appreciated.

(or do I just get some fresh Daiwa Sensor bulk spools like I've done for the last two decades..... )

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Speak nicely to your local tackle shop. They may have some old stock stuff that is only suitable for backing and will let you have it for a song.

Windy

Reaction score
If you only want it for backing does it actually matter what brand it is ?:confused:

It may be intended for backing but I've ended up using my backing lines in times of (shall we say) "economic hardship" :wh in lieu of anything better often enough to want to be sure that whatever I buy its decent stuff.

All three of the lines listed are significantly thinner than Daiwa Sensor and supposedly limper, stronger, more likely to make women throw knickers at me etc. Or is it just bull. Appreciate feedback from people who've actually tried the stuff.

robtherake

Reaction score
This stuff's well worth a try; it's actually pretty good in the 8lb strength - supple and well-behaved. 8lb's the lightest they do, though. I haven't had it long, so no long-term info, but I'm impressed so far.

Camo Fishing Line Bulk Spool 8lb 10lb 12lb 15lb Carp Pike Coarse NGT Camou | eBay

Also have a look at the NGT Duracast, which is available in lower breaking strains in bulk. Haven't used it, but if it's as good as the camo you'll not go far wrong.

NGT Duracast Brown Carp Coarse Fishing Mono Line Spool 4lb 6lb 8lb 10lb and 12lb | eBay

Last edited:

symonh2000

Reaction score
Another vote here for the NGT Camou.

I am currently running the 15lb version for my pike fishing, and it is actually thinner than the 12lb Shakespeare beta mono I was using previously.

If you are going to use it as backing however the relative lack of diameter would likely be a disadvantage.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use sensor or ultima for all my mainlines. I was told by the fat bloke down the pub that ultima make sensor and side by side the spools are very lookee likee.

robtherake

Reaction score
Another vote here for the NGT Camou.

I am currently running the 15lb version for my pike fishing, and it is actually thinner than the 12lb Shakespeare beta mono I was using previously.

If you are going to use it as backing however the relative lack of diameter would likely be a disadvantage.

Not necessarily; you may use more of the thinner mono as backing but it lies flatter, and so does the line wound atop it.

nicepix

Reaction score
For backing, i.e. building spool diameters up before the main line goes on, I use cheap and cheerful Dyneema braid. At 19 quid for a thousand yards of 80lb it works out a lot cheaper than the fly-line backing I used to buy.

You'll struggle to find Ultima these days as the company has gone bust. I managed to get a few bulk spools back in October, but even then I had to amend my order as stocks were getting very low.