Fish records Breaking

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am sure they would even if the fishery doesn't contain the "advertised fish" it can attract custom.

I was in a syndicate many years ago and the syndicate owner showed us photos of fish in there, we found out 2 months after we joined and had caught nothing bigger than 18lbs that the big fish had been sold off, fortunately my mate who has "a way with words" and our money was returned.

I know a better one than that .A fella advertised two irrigation reservoirs in Essex with this and that in. The punters flocked in opening night everyone blanked there were no fish in there at all and the fella had done a runner never to be seen again. I know of several waters that had major fish kills that were kept quiet so the money kept rolling in. It is a wicked world.

terry m

Reaction score
National records seem to matter much less than they used to in yesteryear. What's more, club records matter even less. I know several club records that have been caught and the captors simply can't be bothered to weigh them in.

As Yates said, "it is simply giving a fish a number".

As for recalling records. The 64lb salmon from the Tay by some bird in the 1920's has stuck. Very few others.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I believe in keeping the size of fish caught in perspective to the water being fished, not all fish need to be big to be a specimen.

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
"Don't get me wrong, the experience of holding a big tench is a privilege, and it's no bad thing to have a goal to aim for; but I cannot correlate the size of tench to purely angling skill. However, big tench will always remain beautiful. Anglers will always derive great satisfaction involving a feel-good factor in landing a personal best - but that is all it is, personal. Even if it were a record, the only thing it proves is that it exists"

Keith Sanders, from his brilliant chapter in the Bob Church book, Big Tench.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I was a boy in the fifties and my dad would send myself and my brother over to the Off Licence my brother would lift me up to see the cased fish that were kept in the private bar four twenty pound carp one of them 25 pound + some big roach and a twenty six pound pike all from the lake at the back of my dads house . They were something to see. These days I walk into my local tackle shop and I am surrounded by fish of double those weights from the UK and abroad and I do not even give them a second glance.