Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Fish records Breaking

Do they really matter that much these days to most Anglers?

Default Re: Fish records Breaking

They don't matter much to me. I guess if i was all consumed with a specific species of fish it may be different but i'm happy with any old fish.

What does annoy me is the pursuit of spawn carrying Tench.
    Last edited by daji; 25-01-2014 at 13:17.

I quite like to see the records broken once in a while, but I don't place too much importance in them. I couldn't care less who it is that actually catches the records.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by daji View Post
    What does annoy me is the pursuit of spawn carrying Tench.
    It does puzzle me how this seems to be acceptable practice, for certain species but not others. Pike are similar, many actively targeting them in February/March, knowing that a big female will be full of spawn and at maximum weight.

Doesn't bother me, as long as I'm catching fish I'm happy.

Blog Entries

Yes, i guess that certain long standing Records would perhaps get more interest than usual, or something that is just out of the ordinary.

It does seem that these days certain fish records are not only broken regularly and by the odd 1lb or even ounces, but, they are often expected to be broken again not long afterwards.

For me, this does take the edge off of the excitement of it all for me.

Spawn carrying fish, certainly shouldn't count IMO.

Never bothered me, particularly when often its the same fish breaking national or river records, its nice to see a new fish do it but then the circus descends on it until its caught again at an ounce or two over what it was caught at before.( seems to happen with suspicious regularity)

No fish should be entertained as a record if it is carrying spawn, it's illegal to fish for gravid fish so why should a gravid fish be accepted as a record?

All of us have probably caught fish that are carrying spawn at some time or other by accident but to target fish knowing they are likely to be carrying spawn is wrong. just goes to show what a cock up the closed season is. (not trying to start a discussion on the CS.)
    i think thats what they called me.

I've often thought about this - on a personal level - would I report the fish (assuming that piece of good fortune was mine.) Hmm...it would only invite the attentions of the very people being (rightly) denigrated here, and probably ruin that piece of water for the many, at the expense of the fish as well as the fishing.

I'd like to think I'd be able to keep it under my hat, but who knows, should that situation arise? That kind of attention isn't my bag, though, and I already have more gear than I can comfortably carry so the prizes on offer in the weeklies are no real incentive.

Assuming it was the kind of water where records do tumble, I reckon it's the right thing to do. We anglers thrive on such dreams: it fires our imagination - that next bite could be the one....

It's the ultimate goal, but one that hardly anyone will achieve. I like to break personal records, always very happy when I do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please visit my blog at www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by the blanker View Post
    Never bothered me, particularly when often its the same fish breaking national or river records, its nice to see a new fish do it but then the circus descends on it until its caught again at an ounce or two over what it was caught at before.( seems to happen with suspicious regularity)

No fish should be entertained as a record if it is carrying spawn, it's illegal to fish for gravid fish so why should a gravid fish be accepted as a record?

All of us have probably caught fish that are carrying spawn at some time or other by accident but to target fish knowing they are likely to be carrying spawn is wrong. just goes to show what a cock up the closed season is. (not trying to start a discussion on the CS.)
    You do not have to fish for coarse fish in what was the close season on stillwaters this reduces the chance and was the reason for the close season in the first place.

I know of 2 river records that have been kept very quiet, on the other hand I have seen the same fish claimed as a river record 3/4 times.
    i think thats what they called me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast