Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up The home bait chef...

Are supermarket baits the way forward?

They are certainly cheaper and by making your own you know exactly what's in them but do you rely on your or the knowledge of others to advise you of the ingredients or just take your chances with branded items?

Blog Entries

Default Re: The home bait chef...

The only supermarket baits that I buy are; Bread, Sweet Corn or The pink indispensible, (Luncheon Meat)

For many years I have caught very well on those plus, maggot, worms and casters while using pinkie and/or squatts in my groundbaits.

As far as groundbaits are concerned I far prefer the Continental mixes, either Sensas or Van den Eynde as they have been formulated over many years, tried and tested and contain less feed than most "home mades" To those I almost always add something in the way of an attractant or colouring as well.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 30-01-2014 at 09:47.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I always check out the home baking section sometimes they have small bags of exceptionally large hemp just the job for hookers. I picked up four 2 kilo bags of chick peas TRS brand three pounds reduced from one pound fifty to seventy five pence a bag. The funny thing about them is it says on the bag Discover Asia's Finest and in the bottom corner it says Produce of Argentina.

I've used supermarkets, health food stores and pet food suppliers for years as sources of baits.

Food flavourings such as strawberry or pineapple from the bakery section can be glugged into sweetcorn or boilies, a sachet of vanilla sugar goes well with tinned sweetcorn to add attractant favoured by roach. In the past I've added a touch of blue food dye to sweetcorn to turn it green so that it isn't too obvious in shallow clear water. Frozen pastry together with the dregs of blue cheese can be made into paste. Fennel and tumeric from health food stores can be added to hemp and maggots respectively. Cocoa powder is a useful groundbait additive and in the last couple of years I've found that chicken pellets are a superb groundbait additive.

Other than maize flour, breadcrumbs and crushed hemp seed I get everything from non angling suppliers.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

A bit of both, really. If you read any of the mags and weeklies, they often trot out a "baits on the cheap" article giving hints and tips and I see nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation.

Among the stuff I use are:

Hemp oil
    Horlicks (supermarket own brand) as "sticky pellet"
    Various tinned fish products - Tesco's for baby clams, a great bait.
    Polony
    Strawberry shake (powdered) for maggots/groundbait flavour.
    Honey
    Preserved meat products - Peperami and similar.
    Frankfurters
    Prawns
    Various pulses, dried and tinned
    Yeast extract
    Malt extract

I'm sure there's more, but these are reasonably regular buys.

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
    I've used supermarkets, health food stores and pet food suppliers for years as sources of baits.

I've found that chicken pellets are a superb groundbait additive.
    Feed pellets?
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

I was toying with the idea of going au naturelle in 2014 and only fishing maggots, casters and worms, particularly in the old fogeys' matches I fish as a lot of our club waters are full of silvers and not carp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
    I was toying with the idea of going au naturelle in 2014 and only fishing maggots, casters and worms, particularly in the old fogeys' matches I fish as a lot of our club waters are full of silvers and not carp.
    Maggot is not only a "silvers" bait, I thnk it was Chris Yates who more or less emptied Redmire some years ago on floating maggot . . . . . . .

I have caught a lot of Carp on the same method as well as on a "Medusa" rig with dead maggot as groundbait.

Not to mention that balls of Sticky-Mag maggots are almost deadly when there are Chub around on the river, and the same goes for the Barbel too.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

While I was following the wife around doing the weekly shop yesterday I picked a bottle of fish sauce up, I have no idea yet what to do with it but I will think of something.
    i think thats what they called me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Maggot is not only a "silvers" bait, I thnk it was Chris Yates who more or less emptied Redmire some years ago on floating maggot . . . . . . .

I have caught a lot of Carp on the same method as well as on a "Medusa" rig with dead maggot as groundbait.

Not to mention that balls of Sticky-Mag maggots are almost deadly when there are Chub around on the river, and the same goes for the Barbel too.
    I know all that Peter, but I was just thinking of breaking the pellet/paste cycle. Maggots will catch almost anything that swims but pellets may not be as productive for silvers, perch, tench, etc. in mixed fisheries.

Now wait for the landslide of replies about a ton of perch on expanders!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
    I know all that Peter, but I was just thinking of breaking the pellet/paste cycle. Maggots will catch almost anything that swims but pellets may not be as productive for silvers, perch, tench, etc. in mixed fisheries.

Now wait for the landslide of replies about a ton of perch on expanders!
    It is not a cycle that I ever got into to be honest.

I think I have used pellet on myabe a handful of occasions and paste a couple of times.

On some venues using pellet or paste makes the fishing simply too easy and therefore less enjoyable for me - it is a personal thing I suppose.

When fly fishing most of my time is spent on the dry fly rather than wets or nymphs as well, and I've never used, nor will I ever use, a sight bob.

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast