May be of use to anglers who make their own bait

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a sausage making company for some of my bait ingredients and mixes they have a very extensive range of ingredients and dry ready mixes that can be used for bait. They have several branches in the UK and have a reliable delivery service. They are called Weschenfelder you can shop on line at Sausage Making Supplies From Weschenfelder's | Weschenfelder Sausage Making have a look at their web site I think it may be of interest to you.

lambert1

Reaction score
Are you prepared to say which ones you use Tinker? I love sausages and had to come out quick as it was making me hungry:D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you prepared to say which ones you use Tinker? I love sausages and had to come out quick as it was making me hungry:D

I use a fair amount of the dried Dutch pigs blood in my feed and ground bait they do a very good Scotch black pudding mix that I also use They do rusk and crumb and many flavourings. lots of things there to try just something a bit different. I have found dried blood difficult to get hold of for some time and I was told it is because of the risk of blood borne diseases like hepatitis the EU put the block on a lot of it. I have used it since a boy for my Tench fishing.

sagalout

Reaction score
Is this the same sort of thing, it says dried blood and it's loads cheaper than the sausage site.

DRIED BLOOD 3kg ORGANIC FERTILISER (MIX & MATCH MULTI-BUYS) | eBay

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Just started reading wikipedia on blood meal, seems to be ok for fish feed, in fact looks good because of the lysine content.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_meal"]Blood meal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this the same sort of thing, it says dried blood and it's loads cheaper than the sausage site.

DRIED BLOOD 3kg ORGANIC FERTILISER (MIX & MATCH MULTI-BUYS) | eBay

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Just started reading wikipedia on blood meal, seems to be ok for fish feed, in fact looks good because of the lysine content.

Blood meal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is not food quality it is great for the garden and it usually carries a warning to use gloves and was your hands. I use it myself in the garden but I would not put it in my bait . I have heard of people using it and blood fish and bone but it is not a food stuff.

sagalout

Reaction score
it is not a food stuff
Do you think that matters? The fish eat a lot of stuff I wouldn't. Pigeon sh1t is an ingredient that seems to have found favour with some as it offers lots of seed bits and predigested proteins, but being totally honest I wouldn't eat it. On another thread about ground bait compost was discussed as an ingredient, I ain't eating that neither. Worms, I ain't eating them neither. Maggots, I ain't eating them neither. I could go on but.....

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

I would be interested in hearing from some of the more qualified posters if food quality is required in ground bait.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think that matters? The fish eat a lot of stuff I wouldn't. Pigeon sh1t is an ingredient that seems to have found favour with some as it offers lots of seed bits and predigested proteins, but being totally honest I wouldn't eat it. On another thread about ground bait compost was discussed as an ingredient, I ain't eating that neither. Worms, I ain't eating them neither. Maggots, I ain't eating them neither. I could go on but.....

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

I would be interested in hearing from some of the more qualified posters if food quality is required in ground bait.

If I am preparing bait I would rather use the best quality ingredients I can get than something that could come from anywhere ESPECIALLY where blood is concerned and as I have said gardening quality does carry a handling warning.

sagalout

Reaction score
In the past I have followed the same guidelines as you are saying Tiinker but I have started to wonder if it is really necessary.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the past I have followed the same guidelines as you are saying Tiinker but I have started to wonder if it is really necessary.

I have been doing it since a boy always collected my own bait and prepared it even maggots get the improvement treatment Good bait no matter what bait it be, is the best place to start as far as I am concerned. That is what I was taught by the old boys and it has stood me in good stead over the 60 years I have fished with a rod and line.

sagalout

Reaction score
Good bait no matter what bait it be, is the best place to start
I can see the sense in that but is "fit for humans" necessarily a requirement. In the case of the dried blood has it been treated an therefore altered to make it pass some EU bureaucratic quango nonsense?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can see the sense in that but is "fit for humans" necessarily a requirement. In the case of the dried blood has it been treated an therefore altered to make it pass some EU bureaucratic quango nonsense?

Is it nonsense Sensas used to do a blood meal and it was that particular nonsense that stopped them producing the product. For the sake of a few bob I would rather be safe than sorry.