ebay; good or bad for fishing tackle shops and anglers?

nicepix

Reaction score
The only thing I buy off Ebay are enamel badges (I collect fox hunting/shooting/fishing/rock music badges) as I usually know what I am getting, anything else is a no no as there are more crooks plying their trade on that site than anywhere else on the net! I found a badge only the other day where the seller Added the word ''vintage'' to the description and a starting price of £24.99 and p+p of £3.99! the badge is actually a new issue and I have bought the same straight from the hunt for £5.00! Sad thing is, people will actually fall for this clap trap and willingly part with their money!
I have friends that have bought things like fishing and shooting accessories via Ebay and later found the products to be dud, rubbish Quality of worse still, counterfeit!

last week the factory floor Defibrillator was stolen and guess what it turned up on Ebay! turns out that it was our very own security man that stole it, apparently his wife, whom works in the NHS had a nice little stash of Medical goods found at their home when the police paid them a visit! :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Oh, one more thing I dont get,
Why do people think PayPal is the safest way to pay for good on the net? Today, most online businesses use encryption software for card payments, so no one at the ''other end'' sees the cards details anyway! Yes I do pay for a few things through PP but I will not open an account, I have heard some really bad things happening to folks who leave their bank details with them!

Makes you wonder just how bad or crooked you have to be to get banned from ebay and PayPal doesn't it? :wh

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got a good deal on Amazon books yesterday. The new J. cox and L. Pearce books that come out on the 14TH Feb both hard back editions delivered for £16 all in. book shop price £35 keep the misses happy and quiet for a bit.:)

I love Amazon, their prices and customer service are top notch, you just have to be carefull of some of the third party sellers, recently they have had a problem with fake Tissot (and other brands) watches! Even a big company like Amazon are not infallible to wheelers and dealers! :eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love Amazon, their prices and customer service are top notch, you just have to be carefull of some of the third party sellers, recently they have had a problem with fake Tissot (and other brands) watches! Even a big company like Amazon are not infallible to wheelers and dealers! :eek:mg:

I buy most of my books from Amazon and white goods. I bought a bread maker last November and we have not bought a loaf of bread since, it is one of the best things we have ever bought. Bread and rolls just like it used to be and no waste because it all gets eaten. I have been thinking about making a hemp loaf.

flightliner

Reaction score
Mb , for sale, one Hull and district badge, circular in brass with blue enamelling, logo of a bent rod around the margin along with association name. Decidedly vintage -- I aquired it back in 1964 and have looked after it. Lovely bit of angling memorabilia.
Reasonable offer accepted.
pm
flight,

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Makes you wonder just how bad or crooked you have to be to get banned from ebay and PayPal doesn't it? :wh

People who win items on eBay and then refuse to pay should be shot....

....with a beretta!:D :D :D :D :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mb , for sale, one Hull and district badge, circular in brass with blue enamelling, logo of a bent rod around the margin along with association name. Decidedly vintage -- I aquired it back in 1964 and have looked after it. Lovely bit of angling memorabilia.
pm
flight,

I just bought an Angling times awards badge that was issued in the early seventies and its mint (dont think it was ever worn) I don't think the guy (Ebay, apparently i'm supposed to be banned, but there you go :)) got it for £3.00!

Give me a price mate if you want to sell, but why? surely you want to keep it?

nicepix

Reaction score
pm
flight,

Make sure that you get the money up front Flight. There are some badge collectors who make a commitment to buy then refuse to pay ;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark, the badge will only end up being chucked out in years to come when my gear has to be sorted out by a stranger who maybe knows nowt about fishing stuff so it would be better that it go to a collector like yourself who will appreciate it, it will look nice amongst others of its kind.
Its done , I estimate about three hundred thousand miles in the intervening years, first on my lapel then in my float box.
I, ve one or two Angling times big fish awards badges also but they, re sown on to my winter monkey suit, when I come to throw it out I'll try to remember they can follow on with the badge.
Thats about it cos I think I, ll keep my collection of Drennan awards for the foreseeable future (ooooo! Get him, lol-- only joking guys ).
Pm to follow Mark.

NP-- Fear not, all will be well, the only thing thats bent in Chesterfield is the church spire !

ps. I' m using a new samsung tablet and just cant get to use qoutes on here, whats the gen? I, m plain puzzled.
Another site I use I just click on "quotes" and its up with my post?

terry m

Reaction score
I have been using ebay and paypal for some years and have never had a problem...maybe I'm lucky.
OK had a couple of late deliveries over the years, but nothing that didn't get sorted.
I have no hesitation in buying stuff off the bay.

I too have had no problems with PayPal - so far....

Keeping my fingers crossed !!

theartist

Reaction score
I have bought line on Ebay that was cheap blue stuff spooled onto the branded spool i thought i was getting - i didn't nor will ever, use that seller again.

I have also bought hooks on a whim and found them to be no good for me which was no fault of the seller. My friend has forgotten to pay once aswell so it happens and on the selling front i quite often get non payers too, luckily Ebay do refund the selling fee and you can offer it to the next highest bidder if its an auction.

Although i agree about the postage issues, Ebay did say if you offered free next day delivery you would get more exposure - well my drawings take ages to scroll down to now whereas they used to be at the very top so thanks Ebay for that one!

As for tackle shops some make a rod for their own back (no pun intended for a change) when they don't stock the gear you use or have substandard maggots of skimp on the size of the pint you get. I've been in a few shops where they say "we don't stock it because no one uses that anymore" or its been discontinued which isn't true. Whats worse is they have empty space on their walls - surely thats a no no for any shop. Went in one shop and the guy told me to top and bottom a waggler as he didn't have any stick floats!

Other shops are good - they'll order stuff in for you and have good bait etc but sadly these shops can be a bit of a drive away nowadays.

If any shop owners are reading this please get decent bait in, don't leave shelf space empty and listen to your customers. Its also worth getting a website and an ebay shop why compete against the internet when you can get a slice of the action on it. Most online buyers will trust a website that has a UK tackle shop over a website that could be based in the far east. Move with the times.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have bought line on Ebay that was cheap blue stuff spooled onto the branded spool i thought i was getting - i didn't nor will ever, use that seller again.

I have also bought hooks on a whim and found them to be no good for me which was no fault of the seller. My friend has forgotten to pay once aswell so it happens and on the selling front i quite often get non payers too, luckily Ebay do refund the selling fee and you can offer it to the next highest bidder if its an auction.

Although i agree about the postage issues, Ebay did say if you offered free next day delivery you would get more exposure - well my drawings take ages to scroll down to now whereas they used to be at the very top so thanks Ebay for that one!

As for tackle shops some make a rod for their own back (no pun intended for a change) when they don't stock the gear you use or have substandard maggots of skimp on the size of the pint you get. I've been in a few shops where they say "we don't stock it because no one uses that anymore" or its been discontinued which isn't true. Whats worse is they have empty space on their walls - surely thats a no no for any shop. Went in one shop and the guy told me to top and bottom a waggler as he didn't have any stick floats!

Other shops are good - they'll order stuff in for you and have good bait etc but sadly these shops can be a bit of a drive away nowadays.

If any shop owners are reading this please get decent bait in, don't leave shelf space empty and listen to your customers. Its also worth getting a website and an ebay shop why compete against the internet when you can get a slice of the action on it. Most online buyers will trust a website that has a UK tackle shop over a website that could be based in the far east. Move with the times.

There was a time not that long ago when maggot and caster ect. were the top baits that shops made a real effort to have top quality bait. This was essential to getting a good customer base it was the shops main pull.