Be AWARE OF WEILS DISEASE

Craig Hunt

Reaction score
I know a young lad who suffered from Weils disease, and he was lucky. The hospital didn't pick it up at first as it is, to them, uncommon.
It is well worth mentioning it if you are unfortunate to suffer the symptoms to bring it to their attention.

mick b

Reaction score
I carry a tube of antiseptic hand gel in the car, its the same stuff that is everywhere in Hospitals and is clear, non greasy, odourless with a texture similar to liquid soap.
That said Ive never used it while actually fishing....:rolleyes:

I've also heard the '6ft" comment which I have never believed!
If youve owned a bunch of working terriers you soon learn where Rats are......:eek:mg:

However I do like the idea of bait stations around a private water, something I intend to raise with our committee.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I carry a tube of antiseptic hand gel in the car, its the same stuff that is everywhere in Hospitals and is clear, non greasy, odourless with a texture similar to liquid soap.
That said Ive never used it while actually fishing....:rolleyes:

I've also heard the '6ft" comment which I have never believed!
If youve owned a bunch of working terriers you soon learn where Rats are......:eek:mg:

However I do like the idea of bait stations around a private water, something I intend to raise with our committee.

Just one thing about bait stations fix them to the ground or a stump of some kind and keep them away from the waters edge you do not want the contents going in your water the hoppities will find the bait with no trouble. Dispose of the deads in a pit you may find quite a few laying around until they are thinned out .

john step

Reaction score
Have you ever knocked your vacuum flask over on the grass and then drank from the cup without cleaning it ??

terry m

Reaction score
I know a young lad who suffered from Weils disease, and he was lucky. The hospital didn't pick it up at first as it is, to them, uncommon.
It is well worth mentioning it if you are unfortunate to suffer the symptoms to bring it to their attention.

I once fell ill and displayed the flu like symptoms that early stages of Weils generates. Thankfully I had not contracted Weils, but when I mentioned exposure to rivers, the GP took it very seriously.

fishface1

Reaction score
it's not just in rivers... I know of a freshwater biologist who regularly had his hands wet. he contracted leptospirosis, not from the river, but from cleaning the gutters on his garage.

mick b

Reaction score
Have you ever knocked your vacuum flask over on the grass and then drank from the cup without cleaning it ??

Since Ive been sorting myself a replacement flask Ive been using a tip given on here carrying only boiling water in my (loaned) flask, and using a separate mug carried in a plastic bag.
Such an obvious idea and far more hygienic than drinking from the 'open to the elements' mug on the flask.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It is a very good idea, but I wonder how many folk will take it up? As with all such Threads, as soon as they move out of the running list they are probably forgotten by most. I have just asked my wife to order me the product from Barbelboi 's Thread otherwise I will forget to do so (I do carry another brand but it has scent...)

Hence the need IMHO to have this subject almost as a permanent fixture on the website, such is the importance of continually making new (and old) anglers aware........

It's probably the biggest threat anglers face every time they go fishing......unfortunately not everyone sees it that way.....

fishface1

Reaction score
fortunately leptospirosis is actually very rare. the biggest threat is drowning....

and how many people wear a life-jacket?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that it’s not only rats, although they are the main culprit. You can catch leptospirosis by touching soil or water contaminated with the urine of a number of animals infected with the leptospira bacteria.

Also, although very rare in this country (I believe there’s a million to one chance of being affected by it as the official figures state that 50/60 cases are reported each year) we as anglers, together with other participants of water sports are obviously at greater risk of contact with affected areas therefore bringing down that risk chance considerably.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
fortunately leptospirosis is actually very rare. the biggest threat is drowning....

and how many people wear a life-jacket?

Not enough. Nobody is allowed to use the boats on our fishery for any reason without wearing one of the life jackets provided. Waistcoat buoyancy jackets are available to anglers and although not life jackets give you a far better chance of dealing with a ducking and they make very good body warmers . The proper life jackets that are auto or tug inflated are easy to wear and are not bulky I wear one especially for winter river fishing a very good registered make can be bought for less than £80.

laguna

Reaction score
I think I know where the biggest risk is of catching weils in this country... its a family holiday seaside caravan park lake at Cleethorpes, lincs. It is running wick with rats and will walk right past you and some of them even beg on hind legs for your bait!
I have fished the lake a few times for the resident cat fish there, pasties and numerous roach and rudd but boy those rats (whole families of them) wander around in broad daylight like they own the place.

I have reported it to the owners many times, but they obviously don't take it too seriously, its being a recurring problem for years.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think I know where the biggest risk is of catching weils in this country... its a family holiday seaside caravan park lake at Cleethorpes, lincs. It is running wick with rats and will walk right past you and some of them even beg on hind legs for your bait!
I have fished the lake a few times for the resident cat fish there, pasties and numerous roach and rudd but boy those rats (whole families of them) wander around in broad daylight like they own the place.

I have reported it to the owners many times, but they obviously don't take it too seriously, its being a recurring problem for years.

You should report it to the local public health officer.