A extract from Coarse Angler August 85

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although tench readily inhale large baits intended for carp, smaller baits that mimic their natural food can often yield more bites. Crunchy little casters are unbeatable tench tucker, as is hemp. They're also complete suckers for sweet corn, worm and maple peas but massive 25mm boilies?

I can understand why Martin didn't hair rig his bait, it was originally designed in the 70's purely for carp as it was believed years ago but so was the boilie so why he used them to catch tench instead of sticking to his usual sweet corn I do not know, unless of course it was the ingredients used in the HNV bait that singled them out?

So how would you present to a tinker tiinker, would you ever consider a large boilie?

You seem to have forgot PASTE HNV paste was used before boilies came into being and even when they were one hell of a lot of people did not know how they were produced.

laguna

Reaction score
You seem to have forgot PASTE HNV paste was used before boilies came into being and even when they were one hell of a lot of people did not know how they were produced.
What makes you think I forgot that paste was used before boilies came into being?
I fail to see your logic in that statement, its the size of the bait he used that intrigues me.

cg74

Reaction score
Disagree. MG was one of the best anglers of his, or any, day. Rather than force his methods on others, he was refusing to have fashion dictate to him which methods to use. He enjoyed the ambience and ethos of traditional angling and thought the modern camping methods and self-hooking rigs detracted from the enjoyment of angling. At the time I disagreed with him, me being a full-on carper at the time. Today I think he had it right. Mind you he had an advantage over most of us, being someone who could catch a fish in a bucket of dirty water...

Geoff, the angling ability of the writer has no bearing on the content of his comments. You say he had it about right, but evidence says otherwise; tench, even on waters that are fished nigh on exclusively with self hooking rigs etc, the tench are still perfectly catchable on hook mounted baits such as corn, worm, maggots.....
So that leaves this line incorrect: "causing headaches for those that steered clear of many of the tactical, so called advances"

Regards the enjoyment factor, going on the number of anglers choosing to fish 'new' methods - I'd suggest more enjoyment is gained using modern(ish) techniques. Because as I've explained, traditional rigs are just as successful, if not more successful than modern ones (in terms of catching fish).

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What makes you think I forgot that paste was used before boilies came into being?
I fail to see your logic in that statement, its the size of the bait he used that intrigues me.

Did you never use large paste baits then I often used baits the size of a tangerine and that was about the norm on a water where bream were present. The baits were often mounted on crust pads to stop them coming off during casting.

laguna

Reaction score
Large (ish) Yes made of risen bread dough but maybe no larger than 25mm (1inch pieces) for big bream and up to 75mm for chub but certainly not for tench and certainly not tangerine size. I'm questioning the reason behind why someone like Martin used similar sized baits for tench, the same sized boilies used by Fred for carp. I am not questioning your own practices only your opinion?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Large (ish) Yes made of risen bread dough but maybe no larger than 25mm (1inch pieces) for big bream and up to 75mm for chub but certainly not for tench and certainly not tangerine size. I'm questioning the reason behind why someone like Martin used similar sized baits for tench, the same sized boilies used by Fred for carp. I am not questioning your own practices only your opinion?

What people use for bait and how they use it is up to them. As far as Martin Gay is concerned I can only wish I had half the fish he put in the his net, Tench, Carp, not to mention the amount of thirty pound pike. His results speak for themselves he had it right more than most.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you don't like the methods, you don't use them. As for them causing problem for more traditional anglers, well that's nonsense. A good angler is a good angler.

We have moved on from fishbone hooks, horsehair and gut lines, greenheart rods and wicker baskets. It's called progress and those that don't like it don't have to go with it.

The jewel in the crown of my club waters is an ex sand quarry full of prime tench. Plenty of anglers fish rods on pods with alarms and bolt-rigs but equally as many fish waggler in the margins and some do well on the pole.

Pontification, regardless of your past achievements, is always likely to lead to dissent and division.

richiekelly

Reaction score
This is from the same article. When in 1976 I went back to Tench fishing with a more serious intent. The sweetcorn thing was starting to emerge as carp anglers became a little more open with their findings. So it was that I started what turned out to be seven years of frantic tench fishing on a series of three pits. Sweetcorning initially, but latter developing the HNV approach with Fred Wilton and several other mates.

That reads that you helped develop the HNV approach with Wilton, is that correct?

I know an angler that I met through the Barbel Catchers that was, next time I speak to him I will ask him if he knows you.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That reads that you helped develop the HNV approach with Wilton, is that correct?

I know an angler that I met through the Barbel Catchers that was, next time I speak to him I will ask him if he knows you.

Jumping the gun yet again look before you leap and read the post from the very start. It says this is from the same article. Meaning the article by Martin Gay. So you can put your knife away for another day.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was that HNV bait, Blanks, or just some smelly old stuff from the bottom of the bag? :D ;)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think some old mouldy things can be quite nutritious. ;)

I got in a fair bit of trouble on here a few years ago when I was (gently) taking the Pee out of anglers who were insisting on using 'human grade' peanuts. The vitriol came down from a great height and from a great many bait-barons. Nevertheless, the best peanuts for bait in my experience are those which have gone slimy and started to sprout after being left in a warm tupperware box. The carp love them. I imagine other pulses etc would also benefit from similar treatment.
(Awaits incoming!) :wh

laguna

Reaction score
here's incoming :D
Germinated, sprouted, malted, predigested... all have beneficial properties. You know of course, correct preparation by soaking and/or boiling legumes are essential for fish welfare - they help remove and nutrilise phytates and other anti-nutrients and make them more digestible.
A peanut left to sweat and mould in the bottom of your bag is hardly the recommended way, in fact peanuts should be banned altogether imo.

Off my soap box now ;) but hemp.... actually doesnt need any preparation at all, it has no anti-nutrients whatsoever it just improves with soaking and splits releasing oil.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Jumping the gun yet again look before you leap and read the post from the very start. It says this is from the same article. Meaning the article by Martin Gay. So you can put your knife away for another day.

I wasn't jumping the gun, when you quote something it makes sense to put it in quotes, no way it can be misinterpreted then is there!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't jumping the gun, when you quote something it makes sense to put it in quotes, no way it can be misinterpreted then is there!

Just read what is written in the post then you will not make a mistake it is very simple just read what is there in plain English.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Just read what is written in the post then you will not make a mistake it is very simple just read what is there in plain English.

Please do what you said the other day and "not bother" I already have a dog that follows me around.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
You know of course, correct preparation by soaking and/or boiling legumes are essential for fish welfare - they help remove and nutrilise phytates and other anti-nutrients and make them more digestible.

Of course soak them for a day or two first - but they sure don't need to be 'human grade' imo.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Please do what you said the other day and "not bother" I already have a dog that follows me around.

Are you two both Essex boys? ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's contaminated stuff that gets into the food chain that causes problems. At the harvest stage where contamination starts and if the crop isn't moved on quickly enough and gets damp then the toxins go to work and immediately the crop is deemed unfit for human consumption. That same crop then finds its way into the animal food chain rather than be destroyed and it has been proved that animals and birds may die in a very short space of time when fed contaminated nuts and cereal. What effect it has on fish I wouldn't know.................

richiekelly

Reaction score
Of course soak them for a day or two first - but they sure don't need to be 'human grade' imo.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Are you two both Essex boys? ;)

How very dare you, I need to lie down in a darkened room for a while.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It's contaminated stuff that gets into the food chain that causes problems. At the harvest stage where contamination starts and if the crop isn't moved on quickly enough and gets damp then the toxins go to work and immediately the crop is deemed unfit for human consumption. That same crop then finds its way into the animal food chain rather than be destroyed and it has been proved that animals and birds may die in a very short space of time when fed contaminated nuts and cereal. What effect it has on fish I wouldn't know.................

Understand that Jerry. What got me though was the guys who thought nothing of using balls of goundbait themselves - 85% birdsh1t - plus maggots, worms and bloodworm on the hook and then had the termerity to criticise me for not using 'human grade" peanuts!
I said I would when they used human grade birdsh1t! :)