Well done Tink.

'The bait doth lie upon the water but the fish will not be fooled"

Perhaps because it is 'off'..:D

richiekelly

Reaction score
Well done Tink.

'The bait doth lie upon the water but the fish will not be fooled"

Perhaps because it is 'off'..:D

No baiting from me Mick, just asking someone to justify their totally selfish attitude towards rare or endangered species as I find it incredible that an angler would have this attitude. Its noticeable that the angler in question does not have the good manners to respond but is always willing to give advice to others that do not need it. If I am asked why I have certain views and anyone wants to know why I hold those views I will respond, I was raised that way.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a link to a blog about an environmental project that our club is carrying out at a water that is totally owned by us. The water is an old mill pool and, left as it is, it is a perfectly pleasant place to fish with a good head of silvers, bream, tench, ide and some carp. When the work has been done the environment will be improved and will hopefully provide a richer ecology for birds, small mammals and invertebrates. Anglers can, and do, make a difference.

Grimsditch 2nd Feb 2014 (The Plan) | Grimsditch Project

If something extra special turns up on the fishery that you have cared for and guarded to protect this environment, whether you own it or not the powers that be can stop all angling. For the period that this special what ever it is is present. If it is there it is because it suits what ever it is . All reporting it possibly does is cost the club and its members their fishing. If you are prepared to let this happen good luck to you. I am not so I keep quiet about odd visitors.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If something extra special turns up on the fishery that you have cared for and guarded to protect this environment, whether you own it or not the powers that be can stop all angling. For the period that this special what ever it is is present. If it is there it is because it suits what ever it is . All reporting it possibly does is cost the club and its members their fishing. If you are prepared to let this happen good luck to you. I am not so I keep quiet about odd visitors.

All of which can be summed up in one small word - selfish!

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Good Morning,

One or two comments have been rather harsh in my opinion, my comments on this subject and softening of what was a hard line approach have come about because of a concern for financial survival rather than commercial gain or heaven forbid, maintaining or promoting a perceived profile.

After responding on Facebook when this topic was raised I invited discussion on my own page and this was picked up, hence the story in the Angling press.

I will be expanding my views in the next FM Diary and will be happy to discuss them, I'm not saying I'm right, I know many will not agree, but I also know that many do agree and they too have altered their stance for similar reasons.

The bottom line really is that this is nothing to do with people of my generation, its aimed at the future and ensuring that we don't keep something in place that may, and I stress that word, impact negatively towards river fishing and its survival as a whole.

And so that there is no confusion, I argued, lobbied, attended meetings to ensure the close season was kept intact when it came under real threat, my view then is as it is now, a close season shows that we, anglers, actually care. I'm not interested in what other river users do, its our mission statement.

The fact that anglers do fish on stillwaters through the spring months does rather diminish that statement but no one said its a perfect world.

Thats all from me at this point but I will return!

All the best and good luck for what remains of the season!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All of which can be summed up in one small word - selfish!

Where the Bec is concerned totally 100% right it is a fishery first that is what the members pay there money for and without them it would be another dumping ground for joe public like many other open waters in the area. As it is it is a haven for wildlife so everyone is happy. Except you and your friend but that is of no concern of mine. Off for some retail therapy at the tackle shops now have a good day.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

One or two comments have been rather harsh in my opinion, my comments on this subject and softening of what was a hard line approach have come about because of a concern for financial survival rather than commercial gain or heaven forbid, maintaining or promoting a perceived profile.

After responding on Facebook when this topic was raised I invited discussion on my own page and this was picked up, hence the story in the Angling press.

I will be expanding my views in the next FM Diary and will be happy to discuss them, I'm not saying I'm right, I know many will not agree, but I also know that many do agree and they too have altered their stance for similar reasons.

The bottom line really is that this is nothing to do with people of my generation, its aimed at the future and ensuring that we don't keep something in place that may, and I stress that word, impact negatively towards river fishing and its survival as a whole.

And so that there is no confusion, I argued, lobbied, attended meetings to ensure the close season was kept intact when it came under real threat, my view then is as it is now, a close season shows that we, anglers, actually care. I'm not interested in what other river users do, its our mission statement.

The fact that anglers do fish on stillwaters through the spring months does rather diminish that statement but no one said its a perfect world.

Thats all from me at this point but I will return!

All the best and good luck for what remains of the season!

I, for one, am prepared to wait to read the full story in your Diary and will therefore withold comment until such time.

Thanks for the clarification Steve.

richiekelly

Reaction score

I am glad that all anglers do not have that same selfish me first attitude, surely if you and others have looked after a place that has wildlife and something special was found there it wouldn't hurt to inform someone about that something special.

Wrong not to in my opinion. angling does not transcend everything else in the wild.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am glad that all anglers do not have that same selfish me first attitude, surely if you and others have looked after a place that has wildlife and something special was found there it wouldn't hurt to inform someone about that something special.

Wrong not to in my opinion. angling does not transcend everything else in the wild.

This is not as easy as it looks Blanker, Lots of different lines to take. How rare is the bird? If it was a pair of Ospreys that nested right bang on the club water, it would entail closing it down for much of the summer probably. Do you tell everyone that they cannot fish for the summer?, do you return their club fees? Can the club afford the loss? Then there is what is a priority; I know many anglers who have no interest in bird life, wouldn't know a wood pecker from a sparrow, would they care?. I like birds and a rare bird is always a pleasure, I wouldn't mind but, because I have many waters to fish as a pleasure angler however, a club water would be a different thing, others would see it differently . If the area in question meant fencing off a 200 yd stretch of a river, if the club had half a mile of the river, it wouldn't matter much to anyone. A club lake would be different. if it meant only fencing of a small part of the lake, then OK, but how much of the water would be acceptable to all concerned. The RSPB would go over the top and insist it was all closed down. Then there is the rarity of the bird in question, some birds are not rare just rare in a certain part of the country, what consideration should be given, the angler over the bird or the other way round. Where do you draw the line. The rspb would draw a very different line to a club manager who's main interest is in the fishing and the members who have paid fees. Its not as easy a thing to conclude as it looks. A very difficult decision to make in my opinion with lots of things to consider. A lot of varying circumstances would have to come into the equation.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If you find something rare and beautiful on one of your waters, cherish it, nutrure it, watch it grow and fulrish - then shoot it and eat it :D

only joking before anyone gets up tight:D

cg74

Reaction score
Their opinions should be ignored!

It will be interesting to read Steve Pope's views when he posts on this subject.

Rather contradictory, wouldn't you say??:confused:

Only slightly better than the excuse tried by the INfamous name when he got caught AND prosecuted..(a good job well done by the EA).

I'll give them that but it's a small success in the midst of a massive catalogue of failures!

My understanding is that fish spawning is governed by light levels, the same as birds, if so water levels, weather or anything other than a change in the position of moon would have little effect.

From everything I've read on the subject; fish spawnings are influenced by a myriad of factors, all of the ones you've rubbished and water temperature is also a major influencing factor.

What do you mean when you refer to "light levels"?

jack sprat

Reaction score
Dace spawning is affected by light levels ie length of daylight; most other coarse fish are governed by temperature.

benny samways

Reaction score
Time has come for anglers to govern themselves.

The closed season and its arbitrary dates are a joke. It is not selfish to want valid reasons for something; just plain common sense. Those who like the status quo and are unable to change their position on something are probably those who should be listened to least; its good because it’s the way it is and that’s the way its is because that’s the way it is. :eek:mg:

People who want to poach rivers and fish them in the close season do just that now, the close season doesn’t stop them; ignorance and no conscience does!

The ethics of targeting gravid fish is another debate but the current close season does not prevent this.

Let anglers fish rivers all year round and let clubs and anglers police their own closed season.

jack sprat

Reaction score
And also how do they know? Does this mean that Dace on a certain river would breed at almost exactly the same date each year?

It's not that exact; the amount of light reaching them varies according to the amount of colour in the water, how cloudy it is etc. It's a subconscious trigger, presumably similar to that affecting birds that start to pair up and sing this time of year.

richiekelly

Reaction score
This is not as easy as it looks Blanker, Lots of different lines to take. How rare is the bird? If it was a pair of Ospreys that nested right bang on the club water, it would entail closing it down for much of the summer probably. Do you tell everyone that they cannot fish for the summer?, do you return their club fees? Can the club afford the loss? Then there is what is a priority; I know many anglers who have no interest in bird life, wouldn't know a wood pecker from a sparrow, would they care?. I like birds and a rare bird is always a pleasure, I wouldn't mind but, because I have many waters to fish as a pleasure angler however, a club water would be a different thing, others would see it differently . If the area in question meant fencing off a 200 yd stretch of a river, if the club had half a mile of the river, it wouldn't matter much to anyone. A club lake would be different. if it meant only fencing of a small part of the lake, then OK, but how much of the water would be acceptable to all concerned. The RSPB would go over the top and insist it was all closed down. Then there is the rarity of the bird in question, some birds are not rare just rare in a certain part of the country, what consideration should be given, the angler over the bird or the other way round. Where do you draw the line. The rspb would draw a very different line to a club manager who's main interest is in the fishing and the members who have paid fees. Its not as easy a thing to conclude as it looks. A very difficult decision to make in my opinion with lots of things to consider. A lot of varying circumstances would have to come into the equation.

In this instance what concerns me most is the advice that has been given about keeping the finding of a rare species to yourself in case your fishing is affected.
Anglers are always crowing about being guardians of the environment, is that just the watery environment? the environment for me is all of nature not bits of it, one cannot in one breath complain that to abandon the closed season is wrong and in the next advise something that could be damaging to an endangered species.

I understand your point about birds and what the RSPB may try to do but if a pair of ospreys decided to nest on a water its not the kind of thing that could be kept quiet, other things are however a different matter, as far as I am concerned if anglers want to be seen as people that care about the environment that means all of it and not just the bits that may suit because of selfish reasons.