Drinking straw night float.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got hold of some nice ZAK! Designs drinking straws in semi opaque white they are about ten inches long with a two inch flexible section two inches from the top end. For a plugging material Nash 5mm balancing foam is just right . The glue I use is Evo- Stik Serious Glue it is both waterproof and transparent. The straw float can be loaded or unloaded if you are going to load it you will need two 5mm plugs for the base of the float so as to trap the load between. I fit a size 12 mini swivel to the base plug. This I do by using a scalpel to put a slot in the foam then push the swivel into the slot taking note where the ring sits. I then take about a inch of medium copper wire and pierce the foam so the wire goes though the ring of the swivel and wind both the wire ends around the foam in opposite directions and trim off any waste wire. This gives a good fixing. Apply glue to the plug and fit into the straw. To make sure of a good seal apply a small amount of glue to the base of the float and leave to set. Trim the top two inches off the straw down to the flexi part. Get a 10mm plug and push it down inside the straw so that 5mm sits below the flexi part and 5mm remains in the flexi part. This will stay put on its own. All that is left to do is put in your light source either a starlight or one of the battery lit LED and top it with a 5mm plug either glued or just push fitted. The amount of light when using the LED can be adjusted by extending the corrugations . This can be a advantage as if you are fishing close in you do not need a big target to watch but if you are fishing at distance a larger light is easier to watch. I will put up some photos on my photos later when it is dark to show what I mean. I have not worked out how to put them up with a post yet.

john step

Reaction score
Yes it is fast approaching that time to fish into darkness and night floats are great. To all you other tight wads out there, keep an eye on Lidl supermarket
"bargains". Every now and again they have a box of fishing night lights for sale.
I think their brand name is CRVIT or similar. I cannot remember the exact price but you get a box of something like 30 for a ridiculously cheap price. They are very bright and last the night. They even have a little clear tube to fix them to your float top or bobbin indicator.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes it is fast approaching that time to fish into darkness and night floats are great. To all you other tight wads out there, keep an eye on Lidl supermarket
"bargains". Every now and again they have a box of fishing night lights for sale.
I think their brand name is CRVIT or similar. I cannot remember the exact price but you get a box of something like 30 for a ridiculously cheap price. They are very bright and last the night. They even have a little clear tube to fix them to your float top or bobbin indicator.

I have had some of those and yes they are very cheap and and I have found them to be longer lasting by far than the Drennan ones. I think they were something like £4 for 30. But I do prefer the LEDs it is a much sharper light they cost around £250 each and last for 60 hours at least you just turn them on and off. They are 35mm long and 4mm dia. The photos are on Gregs photos.

daji

Reaction score
Sounds good. Like the idea of the corrugated tip allowing varying levels of exposed light. :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good. Like the idea of the corrugated tip allowing varying levels of exposed light. :)

Yes that was a unexpected bonus works a bit like a Phoenician blind.

daji

Reaction score
i'm stumped as to what a phoenician blind is if i'm honest. Even google wasn't much help :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i'm stumped as to what a phoenician blind is if i'm honest. Even google wasn't much help :D

It is the same as a vertical blind except it is horizontal I think they just call them blinds these days.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I converted some chubbier type floats for live baiting for perch. I use the lidl lights, I drilled the top of the tip and araldited a light in the top of the float to act as a spigot for the joining tube. They worked very well.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I converted some chubbier type floats for live baiting for perch. I use the lidl lights, I drilled the top of the tip and araldited a light in the top of the float to act as a spigot for the joining tube. They worked very well.

I usually find if you know what you are doing and you make something for a specific job it is nearly always just the ticket.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree 100% with that!
It's one of the most interesting part of fishing, whether it's making floats or some other knick-knack to solve a problem. Every angler that ever lived has probably found himself on the bank wishing the float was a little longer, took just that little bit more weight or was even a slightly different colour. It's a world of 'if only' that can be resolved in your own sitting room, sitting quietly, doing a bit of lateral thinking and trying to come up with an idea in sketch form......
Doesn't always work of course, but the thrill, and that is what it comes down to, of doing the final clean before painting and varnishing, trotting off to the river or lake and casting out is palpable......
I know having the time or even the desire to 'make your own ' is not everyone's cup of tea, and popping to the tackle shop solves most problems these days, but I wouldn't, like tinker, miss the opportunity to make a float for the job, even a single float for a single swim as I've done in the past.....
I'm past my night fishing days now (more or less) but none the less I shall have another read of tinkers post and in my mind understand the logic behind the design, but even from first glance it looks to be 'on the money'!!

Good thread.......

tinker....Just how do YOU intend using them, and what pushed you to the point where you had to come up with this particular animal??

ps I can recall a very early failure when making a float from the ends of two bird feathers with a section of peacock between to use as casting weight for fishing off the top. I loaded them for additional casting weight and made different lengths. Trouble was I overdid the weight element on two floats and when cast out they stood up and settled but then continues down below the surface!!
Yes, I forgot to test them at home in water before painting..............................................we live and learn!

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Tink, I've had some of those straws put aside for something like this, they seemed to good to pass by, so just grabbed a few but didn't know how I would use them......until now :D

When the float is cocked do you have any idea how much shot it would take to sink it.

FYI
Im after a minimal resistance nightfloat but haven't solved the problem yet.

Thanks, good thread.

PS post 3, second line, you require a point between the 2 and the 5 I think? (Late night, senior moment or more water ???) ((-:

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Tink, I've had some of those straws put aside for something like this, they seemed to good to pass by, so just grabbed a few but didn't know how I would use them......until now :D

When the float is cocked do you have any idea how much shot it would take to sink it.

FYI
Im after a minimal resistance nightfloat but haven't solved the problem yet.

Thanks, good thread.

PS post 3, second line, you require a point between the 2 and the 5 I think? (Late night, senior moment or more water ???) ((-:

Laziness:) one swan leaves two and a quarter inches above the water on a unloaded float with the LED You could either load it with shot or use lead wire wrapped around the base to suit that is what I normally do. Have you ever seen what I call slotted tops on hollow floats where the water goes though the float . Just a thought . Of course the floats can be cut to what size you like. I load mine so that they just do not cock so they make good floats for fishing lift.

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 ----------

I agree 100% with that!
It's one of the most interesting part of fishing, whether it's making floats or some other knick-knack to solve a problem. Every angler that ever lived has probably found himself on the bank wishing the float was a little longer, took just that little bit more weight or was even a slightly different colour. It's a world of 'if only' that can be resolved in your own sitting room, sitting quietly, doing a bit of lateral thinking and trying to come up with an idea in sketch form......
Doesn't always work of course, but the thrill, and that is what it comes down to, of doing the final clean before painting and varnishing, trotting off to the river or lake and casting out is palpable......
I know having the time or even the desire to 'make your own ' is not everyone's cup of tea, and popping to the tackle shop solves most problems these days, but I wouldn't, like tinker, miss the opportunity to make a float for the job, even a single float for a single swim as I've done in the past.....
I'm past my night fishing days now (more or less) but none the less I shall have another read of tinkers post and in my mind understand the logic behind the design, but even from first glance it looks to be 'on the money'!!

Good thread.......

tinker....Just how do YOU intend using them, and what pushed you to the point where you had to come up with this particular animal??

ps I can recall a very early failure when making a float from the ends of two bird feathers with a section of peacock between to use as casting weight for fishing off the top. I loaded them for additional casting weight and made different lengths. Trouble was I overdid the weight element on two floats and when cast out they stood up and settled but then continues down below the surface!!
Yes, I forgot to test them at home in water before painting..............................................we live and learn!

I do a lot of Tench fishing. My club water is just ten minutes bike ride from my house so I often fish late 10-30 pm till 9 am in the morning and find that fishing the float keeps me on my toes. I have problems watching star lights as they take on a life of their own. So I obtained the self contained LED/Battery it give a very sharp light and does not play tricks with my eyes. Once I got the lights it was just a case of making a suitable float. I though something in light weight plastic durable no need for sealing other than the stoppers. I was in a shop called Home Sense with the misses and I see these Zak! white straws just like nice lengths of peacock I thought they will do nicely. I was going to use elder pith for plugs or balsa but the Nash 5mm foam is just right for the job. As you say modifying and making floats is all part of angling for some of us. The other advantage of the LED is it can be seen in poor or half light more so than star lights. They come in three colours Red / Yellow / Green.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Gawd 'elp us Daji, at least ask for a photo AND autograph.....this boy's going to the top!!

In time you might be saying " I used to know Tinker before he was famous and opened a drinking straw float factory "...............................

Add a smilie or two here!

ps I'd like to see a photo as well, with close up's, mind!!

daji

Reaction score
Gawd 'elp us Daji, at least ask for a photo AND autograph.....this boy's going to the top!!

In time you might be saying " I used to know Tinker before he was famous and opened a drinking straw float factory "...............................

Add a smilie or two here!

ps I'd like to see a photo as well, with close up's, mind!!

Hahaha didnt realise you were a straw float groupie Tee-Cee :D:D:D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Tiinker, any chance of a photo?

I do not know how to put a photo up with the post but you go to my name and have a look at Gregs pictures I have put some on there with titles.

daji

Reaction score
Thanks Tiinker. looks like a nice light. btw is that you dressed as Santa? :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
tinker....have you any idea about what your drinking straws are made of??

I have some old straws which are plastic so providing the ends are sealed properly they will work. I imagine yours must be some sort of plastic ??
How thick is the wall of the straw, in other words I assume they will not bend if treated carefully??

I did see some once where the maker had sealed the ends with a cut down piece of peacock quill glued into the ends. One took the swivel (or shot loading and swivel) and the other a short length of cane to act as an insert which could be painted orange, or whatever...
Never saw them in use but they looked pretty good!