Unecessary risks

theartist

Reaction score
Yesterday I fished the Bourne at Chertsey and whilst this semi urban stream is your average small river I still found myself crossing a disused footbridge that was bowed with the weight of flotsam on it (the water was still pushing up against it), tugging at my snagged float whilst under a power line and standing on slippery undercut banks during the day.

Only when I got home did I realize how many risks I take when fishing, do you err on the side of caution or do you just go for it?

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Yesterday I fished the Bourne at Chertsey and whilst this semi urban stream is your average small river I still found myself crossing a disused footbridge that was bowed with the weight of flotsam on it (the water was still pushing up against it), tugging at my snagged float whilst under a power line and standing on slippery undercut banks during the day.

Only when I got home did I realize how many risks I take when fishing, do you err on the side of caution or do you just go for it?

Caution every time, been in the river a few times no fish is worth your life.

Kind regards:)
Ray

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always think twice and wear a life jacket especially after the water we have had running and undercutting the banks for the last two months. I started wearing a jacket after a few ducking's but I had a very near to losing it on a small river in the winter and have worn a jacket ever since. It happens so quick you do not often get a second chance. A few weeks ago my eldest son was going to fish a back stream on a local river that I have fished but it was new ground to him I went with him and made sure he did not take any chances. Think safety every time you know it makes good sense.

Windy

Reaction score
Only when I got home did I realize how many risks I take when fishing....

Yes yes yes....

But how's it fishing* ?

(Mind you, must confess, I've always kept a wary eye on those pylons)

* genuine enquiry, 'tis one of the venues I have been considering for my last weekend river bash before the close season....

terry m

Reaction score

I actually think that this is a very good post that should cause some self examination.

The problem is that many people don't acknowledge the risk until it is too late.

Falling into flooded rivers, freezing cold water with heavy clothes on is simply a recipe for disaster.

The Sogster

Reaction score
If I stopped to think about it I've taken too many risks too many times. Not through carelessness as much as excitement.

We all have regular haunts and 'banker' swims and will often notice if things are awry. Although having said that surprises can occur.

For me the lack of caution occurs in new swims or on new waters where my predisposition to gawp at the water with scant regard for the bank edge has its perils.

The bad one

Reaction score
If I take risks, and I sometimes do, they are calculated and thought out ones. With the first question being what IF?

theartist

Reaction score
Yes yes yes....

But how's it fishing* ?

(Mind you, must confess, I've always kept a wary eye on those pylons)

* genuine enquiry, 'tis one of the venues I have been considering for my last weekend river bash before the close season....

Thats the irony, is that I worked my nuts off for two roach and a dace, it was still just a bit too high and coloured where the Addle joins but should be ok next week

Re the safety issue I forgot to add that I can't swim, had waders on and have a fishing jacket with all my gear in - shot, weights, scales, camera etc. Thats why I can't see myself wearing a life jacket aswell. Is there a life jacket with lots of pockets out there or is that an idea that defies newtonion physics? I'm not sure but I think I'll still keep taking risks even though the rewards are not always worth it.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats the irony, is that I worked my nuts off for two roach and a dace, it was still just a bit too high and coloured where the Addle joins but should be ok next week

Re the safety issue I forgot to add that I can't swim, had waders on and have a fishing jacket with all my gear in - shot, weights, scales, camera etc. Thats why I can't see myself wearing a life jacket aswell. Is there a life jacket with lots of pockets out there or is that an idea that defies newtonion physics? I'm not sure but I think I'll still keep taking risks even though the rewards are not always worth it.

If you wear a flat pack auto of at least 150 newtons you will hardly know you have it on and believe me it will keep you up I use a CSR 1091 Auto AND I can swim but it does not make a lot of difference whether you can swim or not with the gear and clothes you describe but this jacket will make all the difference between you fishing again or not if something befalls you. If you looked at the salmon fishing that was on here the other day although the men were bank fishing they had their flat packs on. A friend of mine lost two close friend at Savay because they did not wear jackets only a few feet from the bank. As I said I came close and I will not be going there again.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Good post Tink. I wear an auto-inflating fly-vest when wading, which has lots of pockets. Its standard kit in the salmon world. Not the cheapest item but what price life?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good post Tink. I wear an auto-inflating fly-vest when wading, which has lots of pockets. Its standard kit in the salmon world. Not the cheapest item but what price life?

I did have one a Hardy that my brother bought me but I put on weight and my youngest son has it now and my grandson has my Shakespear manual fly west for the same reason so now I use a flat pack.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've done a bit of deep wading while fly-fishing and spinning in rivers and the sea. When I wade I use a standard type life jacket, one with a few pockets similar to a fly fishing waistcoat. However, when I had a fishing kayak and went offshore in groups and also on my own I preferred to use a self-inflating type purely because it was less bulky when sat in a small cockpit.

I can't remember taking an unnecessary risk while fishing. I saved that sort of thing for when I was at work :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've done a bit of deep wading while fly-fishing and spinning in rivers and the sea. When I wade I use a standard type life jacket, one with a few pockets similar to a fly fishing waistcoat. However, when I had a fishing kayak and went offshore in groups and also on my own I preferred to use a self-inflating type purely because it was less bulky when sat in a small cockpit.

I can't remember taking an unnecessary risk while fishing. I saved that sort of thing for when I was at work :D

Not a good idea to use a auto in any craft where you are seated that can capsize or turn over especially float tubes . If you turn over under the water the vest inflates and forces you into the seat not good when you are under water. If you have a auto take the primer of it and use it on the toggle for float tubing or kayak work.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Caution every time - like wading but won't go short changed.............also like waking up the next day...

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing I never do is go fishing in urban city Areas like the Don in Sheffield... you never know what sort of idiots you are going to meet!

Just not worth the risk.

nicepix

Reaction score
Not a good idea to use a auto in any craft where you are seated that can capsize or turn over especially float tubes . If you turn over under the water the vest inflates and forces you into the seat not good when you are under water. If you have a auto take the primer of it and use it on the toggle for float tubing or kayak work.

Well, thank you for your advice. :rolleyes:

Two points;

Do you honestly think that a kayak paddler would use a water triggered inflatable vest when there is every chance of a wave washing over the craft triggering it unnecessarily? We use toggle triggered vests.

Secondly, is that you cannot get trapped under a sit on top fishing kayak. :eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, thank you for your advice. :rolleyes:

Two points;

Do you honestly think that a kayak paddler would use a water triggered inflatable vest when there is every chance of a wave washing over the craft triggering it unnecessarily? We use toggle triggered vests.

Secondly, is that you cannot get trapped under a sit on top fishing kayak. :eek:mg:[/QUOTE

No need to be bad mannered about Mr. ex policeman god forbid you could be wrong.