lead weights

flightliner

Reaction score
I was in my tackle shop the other day and couldnt help noticing how the choice of leads as grown enormously over the last few years, shape, size, colour, texture etx etx.
Personally I, ve always painted my leads to suit whatever resembles the river or lake bed.
I also have a partnership with an old angling friend whereby I have provided both ladles, lead and a few favours and in return he makes the weights from moulds he purchesd some years ago.
The shop leads seem to me to be outrageously priced these days which makes our investment really worthwhile, having lost three leads yesterday it wasnt to hard a loss but buying from a dealer it could have been a little short of a fiver.
Any thoughts from members on some of the above, :eek:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a cast iron lead pot wit a built in dross gutter with lead ladle it has saved me a mint over the years and you con modify shop moulds or if you go to a small engineers they will make moulds for you. I have a mould for every lead I could ever need. The main things are always work in a well ventilated area wear safety goggles and good gloves. If you are using old lead pipe always cut it into three inch lengths to make sure it has no water trapped in it. Water is a big big danger when melting lead always make sure your scrap is moisture free. Some years ago a friend of mine was moulding leads in his garage as luck would have it, it was in the winter and he was wearing a ex army parka with the hood up he put a length of lead pipe in the pot and as he turned away it exploded coating not only his back and the hood but the ceiling and walls of his garage with molten lead the pipe had water trapped in it. It does not need very much for this to happen so be extra careful.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any thoughts on camaflaging leads tinker, does it really make any differance ?

I did used to paint then and coat them with different finishes but I do not think it makes a lot of difference. But saying that I do not like bright new leads for fresh water work I put them in a jar or pot with vinegar an old tip someone gave me as a kid. I have painted sea flat fish leads white and covered them with clear epoxy to help attract flat fish similar to a flounder spoon when slow retrieving or drifting the sands but whether it caught me more fish I do not know it did not stop me catching them though. It does no harm to disguise your leads and if you have the time to do it why not it may just make a difference we do not really know one way or other it can do no harm. I did try filling small swan mussels with lead to make disguised leads but whether that made any difference I do not know it all adds interest who really knows.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on camaflaging leads tinker, does it really make any differance ?

Well, to me the biggest difference is in confidence.

I keep a pretty good selection of leads of different weights and colours depending on where I'll be fishing and try to use something that doesn't stand out like a sore thumb on the bottom.

terry m

Reaction score
The main things are always work in a well ventilated area wear safety goggles and good gloves. .

Sound advice, especially the part about the well ventilated area preferably outside if possible. Lead is at its most poisonous to humans when inhaled in fume form.

ravey

Reaction score
I make my own, using a mixture of commercial moulds, and some I had a local engineer make up from aluminium billet (dead cow leads). I use a Coleman stove to melt the lead (and cook hemp/tares), and use a commercial ladle and pot, both made out of cast iron which helps to keep the molten lead hot enough.

Better than watching telly, and gives me a bit of peace and quiet in my 'man cave'.