How did you get on?

oyster

Reaction score
Nice day on the Severn - was after Roach on the stick, some decent Perch showed up as well, struggling with the weights of fish but I would say they were my best this season. Sion Farm tomorrow, it will be hard to beat today even on a commercial.

Attachments

• WP_20140311_005.jpg
    WP_20140311_005.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
  • WP_20140311_002.jpg
    WP_20140311_002.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 56
  • WP_20140311_004.jpg
    WP_20140311_004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 29

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One chub of about 3lb+. Lost three others-all hooked on brown bread. I put this down to new type of hooks I was using, some cheap ones and a bit thin in the wire. Back to my Drennan specimen barb less I think.The river was up a bit but, a nice brown color which I prefer. The roach were not there at all. Just shows the conditions can suit one fish and not another. My last river fish of the season. A bit of lake and beach fishing for me until the 16th.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Went today on the Swale. Caught 8 big chub (best two 5lb 11oz and 5lb 10oz) and a big trout. All caught on float.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A quick afternoon session on the upper river, expecting grayling and trout. After a bright start which resulted in a most unexpected, but very welcome little chub.
408979863.jpg

I was damned if I could find any of its siblings, let alone its parents. I did manage a grayling before giving up on the float and resorted to the tip rod and feeder. Whilst it's not the way I really want to fish, it proved almost instantly to be a good move. Six good grayling came along fairly rapidly with several missed bites along the way before it went very quiet. I hoped the chub had scared the grayling off. I should have known better, three decent trout put on their shows before a single grayling rounded the day off as the sun dipped below the horizon. Nine grayling, three trout and the only chub I've seen since I started my winter on the river in November made for a pretty good day.

jimlad

Reaction score
Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sam Vimes....Like reading an extract from a good book.....a very nice, simple account of a day's fishing....most enjoyable.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I fished yesterday
I had one feeder rod out with a boilie and another float fishing maggot
I had one carp of about 2lb on the boilie rig and a string of nice roach on maggot
The sun was out and it made a pleasant days fishing

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
3 of us had a knockup at Berkhamstead station on the wides today. Sunny and breezy causing a slight ripple. Friend next to me fished wagg and magg right across and was catching some nice roach. Me and other friend both struggling on the pole.
As the sun dropped about 3:30 I started catching a fish a chuck down the track on red maggot over groundbait ( Sensas roach black ) laced with chopped worm and caster.
Both others were getting a few but I won the day with perch, roach and a big gudgeon last chuck...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Eight carp, up in the water on a local pit, to 22lb 4oz this afternoon (only a couple of snotties on the deck in the morning) - bumped into Sampras for a chin wag.....

neil1970

Reaction score
I've been out for a few hours for the last two days; no bites.

The most action occurred when I was hurrying home a couple of days ago.

I emerged from a hole in the bushes, rod quiver and bag on back, slightly startling a female dog walker.

I then decided to climb and jump off a 2ft log that was in my way; my foot caught, and I landed virtually face first in the thankfully soft mud, right in front of her.

"Are you ok?"

"Only my pride is hurt"

:eek:mg:

sampras43

Reaction score
Eight carp, up in the water on a local pit, to 22lb 4oz this afternoon (only a couple of snotties on the deck in the morning) - bumped into Sampras for a chin wag.....

Indeed..and was nice meeting you.

I had 5 on the feeder including a 3lb tench, 1lb Crucian and 3 mirror, plus around 35 roach on caster. Mostly small but a handful around a pound.

...and the sun was out too.

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
8 hour blank for me on the river.:doh:

It was still a nice day as my wife brought a picnic down for lunch & it was good to see the last day out.

My meagre fish count from the start of the year, after going out for 15+ hours a week, on 3 rivers, reads like this:

2lb Chub,
3 surprise Minnows
Small Dace
Small Roach
Small Bream
Small Perch
2.11 Rainbow
6lb Bream (x2!)

I've still a lot to learn!

Back to the canal for a couple of months for me.

I'm looking forward to watching a float.:)

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Last days deadbaiting for me this winter, I think that they will spawn very shortly so I'll leave them alone.

Beautiful day, great company with a couple of mates on my syndicate lake.

I finished with a 15-12 and a couple of jacks, approx 7 & 3! Wonderful.:)

The other two had their carp heads on and had four, all doubles up to 15.

In summary a lot of laughter and a few fish.

Stu

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
neil1970......yes, maybe a meagre fish count (my own doesn't read too much better!) BUT the effort you've put in is 100%. Some would say a great deal of time wasted on very little but personally I don't see it that way. You made a plan, as did I, and it hasn't worked out the way you expected, but then angling books are full of stories of folk who set out to achieve certain fishing goals, meet failure at every turn until things turn around and success arrives in spades!!
I hope this is the case for us both!!!

Still, the wife arriving with a picnic wasn't too shabby eh?

Onward and upward as they say and looking forward to Spring full of good fish (that's yet another 'plan') !!

ps If it's any consolation I have fished a lot longer than 15 hours /week for my poor catches, but then what else would I have been doing.......

neil1970

Reaction score
Thanks Tee-Cee, I appreciate your reply & encouragement:thumbs:

From your posts I think you've had plenty more success than me:p

I'm quite pleased the rivers are shut now, as I was getting a bit obsessed!

I'm going to concentrate on some float fishing on the canal, and might try and hit a couple of ponds for a Tench (something I've never caught).

Cheers