How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Saturday I fished at Slough house fishery in Essex. A silvers only match.
Couldn't help catching bloody carps... 8 silvers pole rigs mullered.
Ended up with 5lb 5. of skimmers and roach. :eek:mg:
Winner had 54 lb. Some good back up weights too.
23 fished.

Slighty less frustrating today at Milton pools near Oxford. Waggler and maggot shallow (3 ft ) in 5ft of water. Small Carps, roach, skimbobs, tench and crucians for 12lb 8. 65lb won.
19 fished..
The weather was nice but the wind made things tricky.

How did you get on?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
True to form the roach failed to show but one carp landed and, unfortunately, one lost!

Fished a still slightly high still water sitting well back with nothing of the rod over the water. Maggots should have worked but didn't although a change to bread flake on a 14 worked immediately.
The same bait worked again after an hour but because I use it slow falling with a bigger piece of bread I think I probably masked the hook point and the much heavier carp made off after a 5 minute fight..............very annoying!!

Lovely peaceful day made all the more enjoyable by the company of an 83 year old club member who also managed a 5lb fish....

Out again Tues/Wed/Fri for another go..................I agree with Peter about the wind though as it was pretty chilly coming across the lake. A mug or two of Keemun tea soon solved the chill factor!

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Saturday I fished at Slough house fishery in Essex. A silvers only match.
Couldn't help catching bloody carps... 8 silvers pole rigs mullered.
Ended up with 5lb 5. of skimmers and roach. :eek:mg:
Winner had 54 lb. Some good back up weights too.
23 fished.

Slighty less frustrating today at Milton pools near Oxford. Waggler and maggot shallow (3 ft ) in 5ft of water. Small Carps, roach, skimbobs, tench and crucians for 12lb 8. 65lb won.
19 fished..
The weather was nice but the wind made things tricky.

How did you get on?

What did you think of Slough house.

neil1970

Reaction score
I had a word with one of the Rovers balliffs last week who put me on to the 'Barbel swim' where barbel and carp have been coming out lately.

I went there this morning, due to the roads to my airgun club being shut, and caught the same Bream twice in 20 minutes:eek:mg:

The second time it seemed to have woken up a bit and took a whole 20 seconds to land:eek:

I will be there tomorrow and I'm going to fish til an hour after dark.

6lb

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well fished the Bull Fisheries water just outside Halesowen today .

Very slow start up but it woke up and produced some nice Bream 3 at around 3 lbs 2 perch one pesky one a tad over 2 lbs and a nice coillection of roach from how the hell did he even get the hook in there to about 1.5lbs so not a bad day on white and yellow maggots nothing else ..

Pete Shears

Reaction score
On Saturday , a 7lb pike on the local reservoir & Sunday again on the upper Soar near Narborough, Leics 2 chub over 4lb & a 3lb brownie - all on bread.

The Runner

Reaction score
Won club match on the Colne at Uxbridge with 8-5.
Match was originally scheduled for our lake near Wraysbury but with two banks still inaccessible and most of the platforms on the other bank still well underwater we switched it to the river. River had only dropped three or four inches since we were last here a fortnight ago and still hammering through.
Only a dozen of us today (think the last result here brought about some hurriedly arranged prior engagements ) so we decided to fish it as a rover. I drew third away and a few eyebrows raised when I went for the same peg as last time as the swim is still boiling up massively, and horribly snaggy. Fancied it for a couple of big fish though . Had one chub around 3-4 on big stick and maggot right down the peg, lost another one, and added a bream about 4-12 and a few little roach on the flat float with bits of worm. (Flow has eased a bit, only needed 7 gm today) The bream performed a cracking pair of 5 yard triple jumps- have often had them do that on commercials but never seen it on a river before.
Think I weighed more than the rest of the match put together. 3-6 of little roach was second. Looks like the longer the river stays high, the harder it gets for some reason.

Whatever the snag is that the floods have dumped in the chub flier at the top end seems to be a particularly evil one. Its now 5-0 to the chub there in the last two matches with a 3-0 home win for them today.

Won myself the clubs points championship today as well;was level on points before today; other contender drew second away and went for the usual "extra water on" banker on the backstream behind the nursery school. And caught a bleak....

aebitim

Reaction score
Fished the Wye as planned, walked miles exploring unfished water, 2 chub 2 barbel, lost a load of tackle as normal, river 2 feet over and coloured, would probably have caught a lot more if I hadnt been exploring.

nicepix

Reaction score
Woke up to a clear blue sky and frost so expectations were not high. Went up to the big lake and scouted around looking for signs of fish and also a way into a place I'd located on Google Earth. Couldn't find either. The place I wanted to fish was surrounded by dense brambles that don't show up on the 2006 satellite image. So, back to the car for the dog and tackle.

Settled on a swim I hadn't fished before and tried some light carp fishing with a rod either side set out for catfish. After a couple of hours with nothing doing I packed up and moved to a different big lake and another new swim. It was then that I discovered that I'd left a bite alarm a a couple of bank sticks at the first swim. That was 5 km away and another 600 metre each way hike. :mad:

I stayed at the second swim until nearly dark and then made my way back to recover the missing items. Sadly shan't be fishing this week as I'm inundated with mole trapping work and decorating. :(

sam vimes

Reaction score
A quick dabble on the river for no better reason than it was a lovely day. Wasn't overly hopeful due to the bright sunshine and the strange fact that it's been tough since the river levels have dropped right down. I managed one grayling of 1lb 3oz and a small brownie before I gave it up as a bad job to go fish spotting elsewhere.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Neil1970 and I had an afternoon dabble on the Colne today.
The level had dropped since last week and typically the colour had too.
The chilly NE wind didn't help either. Nice being down there trying though.
Saw a kingfisher too, which is always a bonus innit....

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
Yes good to get out yesterday, although a stinking cold, and the wind did make it a slightly less enjoyable than usual. No proper bites either.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Jerry (barbelboi) and I fished Lizard1 West Drayton today for 5 hours. Both on the waggler with caster. Had well over 100 quality roach between us.
I also managed to land a 5lb+ common on my 1:12 bottom and size 24 hook...
Nice day too...

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Went on a local lake and got into the tench. Caught 9, with the top 4 going 6lb; 6lb 2oz; 6lb 10oz and 7lb 10oz.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Went much lower down the river than my usual haunts in an attempt to catch something other than trout and grayling. I caught a trout and a grayling.:rolleyes::eek:mg:

jimlad

Reaction score
Think you need an end of season chub mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk