Genitically modified fish !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wonder how far away we are from this. A genetically modified roach of 5lb or a carp of 100lb and placed into a commercial lake. Would be a big draw. It could not be classed as foreign or could it? If it contained the standard features of a recognized roach (scale count etc) , would it be accepted as a "roach". same applies to any species. I hate the idea but, could it happen. Money is the biggest motivator of all after-all.

I believe there are fish that are modified to glow in the dark. Why not a fish where the growth hormone is genetically modified so the fish does not ever stop growing ? But, retains all its normal features. Frankenstein Fish.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Without modifying genes we already have genetically modified fish through selective breeding. It takes time and thought but simply selecting those fish with the sought after characteristics soon yields results whether it is ones with golden colouration (goldfish) or faster growing (carp, rainbow trout) or mirror scaling. If someone was breeding roach for decades it would be easy to select only the fastest growing ones each spawning to get bigger roach.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's already out there...

BBC News - GM salmon can breed with wild fish and pass on genes

Scientists can modify fish eggs and breed faster growing fish.
However US shoppers are wary and big supermarket chains have indicated they have no interest ( yet ) due to consumer mistrust.

Re. Roach for instance, if GM roach were introduced into our native waters (UK) would they survive?

The bad one

Reaction score
We need to be clear here between selective breeding and genetically modified before this thread runs away with itself.

mick b

Reaction score
These carp in commercial fisheries are not wild strains of fish, but fast growing crossbreds specifically designed for eating.

They are probably the nearest fish we have in our waters to GM modified that there is, but I have never read a single word against them being stocked for angling purposes, anglers hauling them out by the hundredweight or fishery owners removing them for another purpose.

Its everyones choice where they fish, but remembering the rush of 'names' to ramp up the Rainbow record when the megga fish first came on scene, I have little doubt the same would happen if a 5lb Roach became 'available'.:eek:mg:

Me, I wouldn't be seen for dust!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It was a bit of a flight of fancy that was prompted by an article I read on the country's tallest man. He had a growth hormone problem which was rectified by surgery. but, not until he reached 7ft 10in or something like that. This led me to think a fish's growth hormone could be engineered as well. Then I just went with it. Imagine a commercial lake filled with such fish of all different species. How much would anglers pay to fish it, £30, £50 or a £100. Imagine the publicity it would get. And what could the British Record Committee do with it. It would not stay contained in one lake. The temptation would be too great for a lot of anglers. And if they could pass it on to wild fish in the system, who would know the difference. Today's science fiction often becomes tomorrow's reality or nightmare. !

I must admit though, it would make fishing very very interesting. 8lb roach, 40lb barbel, 2lb gudgeon. Its possible I would imagine with today's scientific knowledge. And given the commercial aspect of such fish, might happen one day.