The Bigger the Better?

daji

Reaction score
I generally fish for bits and pieces so catching a few bonus fish of a few pounds, rather than just ounces, makes the day a little more rewarding for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Everything depends on the point of view of whoever is doing the fishing.

Sometimes bigger can be better, but not always. Sometimes more does make for a better day, sometimes it doesn't.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I haven't fished much the last year or so , I did become a real fanatic a while back but my fishing trip March 31st will be my first time in about 6 months.
i've never caught a non foul hooked carp over 10 lb , I have seen one about 25 it looked impossibly big , I'd LOVE to catch one that big.
Also there is a pool I have sat and caught numerous half pound roach on a whip - fantastic.

So I think size stops being an issue once you have caught a few big ones.

sagalout

Reaction score
I like them all, but I always fish light rods and tackle so even the small fish are enjoyable. I love the red letter days when I catch loads, but I need the more normal days to make the red letter days. I think if every day was a red letter day I would give up.

So in answer to the questions no and no.

beerweasel

Reaction score
The venue and pedigree of the fish also affects what weight I prefer.
For example; a 1 lb wild chalkstream brownie is in my opinion better than a 10 lber from a day ticket lake.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, no, it is not a case of bigger is better.

I get as much, if not more, enjoyment from a day on the river catching lots of roach and dace as I do from a weekend on a lake where large carp are caught.

Aside from Pike I will fish for anything that swims in our rivers and lakes and am happy to just see a bend in the rod no matter how small . . . . . .

mick b

Reaction score
On some days, quite peaceful day beside a gentle river catching nothing but the suns rays is my idea of heaven.
On those days I don't have to catch anything, the quality of the day and my surroundings surpass anything I could, or would wish, to catch.

On some days, now becoming far fewer, I fish VERY hard indeed, and yes the fish I am after IS a big fish or better still, a number of big fish.

Like Peter I will fish for anything that swims in my rivers, all except Barbel, Carp......and those damned hooligan Rainbows. :eek:mg:

What about you Steph???

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Whatever my 'stall' is set out for, if i'm seeking bigger fish i'll fish accordingly, one or two will do. If i'm on a small fish venue, fishing lighter tackle, then just a few will suffice.

Like mick b above, I too am one of those 'strange' people that can still derive pleasure even if I blank.

Peter...If I never saw another Pike it would be too soon, I have a phobia about them.

cg74

Reaction score
On the whole big best to me. Ordinarily I'd rather catch one 7lb chub than ten 5lbers or a 30lb+ carp over a hundred 10lbers.

Though there occasions when I go for numbers, like fishing for chub and/or barbel on the Severn, or carp at Clattercote etc

It's remembering, often waters that hold truly big fish have low numbers.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've always been a little suspicious of anglers who seem too eager to tell you that bigger/better quality fish, hold no interest for them.

For me personally, on each outing there has to be the ever present ''chance'' of a good fish. It goes without saying that such is not always the case. But I do my damndest to make it so. Perhaps this is a consequence of my years as a ''Specimen Hunter''.

So I guess it's a case of, old habits die hard, but since at my age the buzz is still there, I'm a happy old angler. :)

laguna

Reaction score
Bigger is a bonus but my target is/has always been quantity.
A blank is not disastrous either - its inspiring, motivating...

3 things stand out; my early 1970's 3lb roach (bonus) and 500 bag of silvers (target)

and...

7 consecutive blanks! :D

thecrow

Reaction score
On the whole big best to me. Ordinarily I'd rather catch one 7lb chub than ten 5lbers or a 30lb+ carp over a hundred 10lbers.

Though there occasions when I go for numbers, like fishing for chub and/or barbel on the Severn, or carp at Clattercote etc

It's remembering, often waters that hold truly big fish have low numbers.

My thoughts exactly, (my first post by the way)

mick b

Reaction score

Ah, but would you rather fish through 100 blanks knowing that your 30lber is waiting at the end......or would you rather catch innumerable 10lbers in the expectation of a 30 the next time you have a bite???

I prefer to fish in hope rather than expectation, but whatever comes along I will enjoy each and every fish and I certainly never stop enjoying my surroundings, thus I couldn't and wouldn't, fish a featureless concrete basin even if it was full of 4lb Roach.

Each to their own....

Keith M

Reaction score
Ah, but would you rather fish through 100 blanks knowing that your 30lber is waiting at the end......or would you rather catch innumerable 10lbers in the expectation of a 30 the next time you have a bite???

I prefer to fish in hope rather than expectation, but whatever comes along I will enjoy each and every fish and I certainly never stop enjoying my surroundings, thus I couldn't and wouldn't, fish a featureless concrete basin even if it was full of 4lb Roach.

Each to their own....

Although I hate catching hoards of small fish, and much prefer catching a few large fish than a netful of tiddlers; I am not the sort of angler who's willing to sit through hundreds of blanks in the search of that magic 30lb or 40lb specimen.

Having said that I also have a strong dislike of crowded commercials and featureless holes on the ground no matter what specimens are in them.

Give me a quality out of the way river or stream where I can catch large Dace, Roach, Chub and Barbel, or a peaceful estate lake or other peacefull lake where I can chase large Rudd, Crucians, Roach, Tench or Carp then I am in heaven.

I don't mind the very occasional blank and I occasionally leave my rods in the car and spend a few hours fish watching and soaking up the atmosphere; but as I get older catching loads of tiddlers no longer floats my boat.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited: