Suggestions needed--

flightliner

Reaction score
On a couple of occasions this year I, ve noticed that my line used together with an old quivertip rod and a fixed spool reel has become increasingly chaffed as the day wore on forcing me to re-spool each time. Yesterday I decided to investigate and starting with each runner threaded fine nylon line thro each , doubled it bak and holding the two ends gently swung the line around the inside linings feeling for a crack, chip, whatever, but all to know avail.
Checking the reels bail arm roller for any deformities also drew a blank.
So, I, m stuck as to what to try next short of re ringing the whole rod which I wont do.
Anyone had a similar problem, and , was it resolved????

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Dam fine suggestion by Lord Paul. Binary fault finding, keep halving the possible causes until only one is left, but always check the simplest thing first!

flightliner

Reaction score
It had crossed my mind to do as LP suggests but the opportunity wont present itself for a bit now as involved in dIY .
I just cant find anything obvious. Its been the same combo each time on both still and moving water.
I will try the reel spool tho, that hadnt crossed my mind.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Had it once with a grooved eye, best found with a pointed model knife blade.

flightliner

Reaction score
JS, the eyes at the top end are very small, would such a knife be ok ??.
Ok, ignore that JS, just occurred to me the knifes shape,

nicepix

Reaction score
If the eyes are too small for knife you could run some fly-tying floss through them under load just as you would expect your line to run.

Going back to what has said about diagnostics; if the area frayed is above the bottom ring when the tackle has been retrieved then its not the reel at fault as that bit of line doesn't got over the bail roller. Check how far back from the float or weight the fraying starts while the line is in your usual casting position and that should give you a clue as to where the problem is.

ravey

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a similar problem. It turned out that the liner of the tip ring had come out. Might be worth having a quick look here first?

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

A friend of mine had a similar problem. It turned out that the liner of the tip ring had come out. Might be worth having a quick look here first?

mick b

Reaction score
To diagnose a cracked ring liner its best to use a cotton ear bud, the ultra-fine material catches in the cracks easier.

When or if you have a cracked liner check it carefully with a 10X magnifying glass or jewellers loop in good light having first rubbed the crack with the tip of a soft graphite pencil (the graphite sticks in the crack making to easier to see).

Another trick is to remove the line roller and spin it in a power drill while holding a fine piece of wet&dry on the working surface. Even a tiny bit of rust can be the cause.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have a powerful magnifying glass which, when used with a very bright light, tends to show flaws in the top ring.....The rod needs to be still of course and this, along with slight moving of the light source, usually shows any' grooving' which causes a slight shadow.

The graphite pencil suggested by mickb sounds good as well..............

redfin123

Reaction score
do you think the old rods had its day flight, retire it and buy a new one, simples.:eek:mg::D

jack sprat

Reaction score
Must admit the last time I had this problem it was a tiny groove in the roller in the bale on a Mitchell Match; soon fixed with a new roller. I must have a good check of my rods and reels soon!

flightliner

Reaction score
Redfin, no need now, think I, ve sorted it.

JS, bingo! Did the cotten bud trick advised by mick b but drew a blank,( good tactic tho)so went over to the old match and using the craft knife found it was "clicking" when drawn across the bail arm roller, on closer inspection it looke like the chrome finnish has finally worn somewhat at the point where the line has pressure exerted on it prior to spooling giving rise to the chaffing problem.
Now found I can sort it.
Thanks to all for the tips.:)

redfin123

Reaction score
Redfin, no need now, think I, ve sorted it.

JS, bingo! Did the cotten bud trick advised by mick b but drew a blank,( good tactic tho)so went over to the old match and using the craft knife found it was "clicking" when drawn across the bail arm roller, on closer inspection it looke like the chrome finnish has finally worn somewhat at the point where the line has pressure exerted on it prior to spooling giving rise to the chaffing problem.
Now found I can sort it.
Thanks to all for the tips.:)
Well you will use those old clapped out reels flight, get your hand down and buy a descent reel.:eek:mg::rolleyes::D