Monofilament - then and now.

robtherake

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to data for the lines we were using in the 80s and 90s? I'm interested in a comparison of the diameter of my go-to lines of the time - Maxima and Bayer Perlon - against the latest alternatives.

It's rare that I feel the need to go below a 4lb mainline, and feel sure that these compare well with a 2lb line of yesteryear.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
From a hook length perspective I totally agree with you. Saying that, my main line I still use Maxima - I cannot fault it so have maintained its use for 35 yrs.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

As an addendum to the last post, over the last few years, I have actually increased my line diameter, I believe fish are not as put off/ spooked with thicker line than what I thought 20 or so years ago. Also, I tend to target species of specimen proportions and therefore do not want to risk loosing any fish I hook.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Bayer 0.10mm was always 1.1lb.

The problem is that lines were/are often understated in breaking strain so Maxima 2lb breaks at 2lb 13oz (in my tests). Similarly lines are often thicker than stated so finding a level playing field not always easy. The first high-tech hooklink line I actually had faith in was Ignesti Special which was reliable and substantially stronger than normal lines. Never had much trust in double-strength or a DAM line of the early 90s.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes how much of the supposed development/refinement is real and how much is just marketing hype/branding. It wouldnt surprise me if many lines today are identical to those of 25 years ago, but maybe just re-packaged by a different supplier.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
How often does diameter figure in performance? In waggler fishing we'd often go to Maxima but it is pretty thick - Perlon is markedly so. To touch, stuff like Sensor seems quite limp, Maxima wiry. But unless you're controlling a trotted float, does it matter much? If so, something like Preston Reflo on the pin. Durability these days seems standard for stuff like feeder fishing, I like to re-spool often so use VFM like Sensor. We've never had it so good...

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have been using NGT camou recently with good results. It is very thin for it's rated breaking strain.

However I tend to choose on diameter and enjoy the extra strength rather than go for the same strength so I can have thinner...

terry m

Reaction score
I subscribe to the theory that the thickness of line is not the critical factor, however the suppleness is.

Good quality line that has low memory and is supple works for me.

If I think back to the 70's I used to use - for example - 10lb Maxima for all my carp fishing. These days I use 15lb Shimano Technium, I catch a hell of a lot more than I did back in the 70's.

chav professor

Reaction score
From a hook length perspective I totally agree with you. Saying that, my main line I still use Maxima - I cannot fault it so have maintained its use for 35 yrs.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

As an addendum to the last post, over the last few years, I have actually increased my line diameter, I believe fish are not as put off/ spooked with thicker line than what I thought 20 or so years ago. Also, I tend to target species of specimen proportions and therefore do not want to risk loosing any fish I hook.

Now thats interesting..... same! I will happily use 12lb line for Chub and judging from the numbers I catch.... they are not bothered.....

My theory is that a bait has be behave as naturaly as possible, hence 12lb line can be appropriate in place of the standard 6lb (helpful if a carp turns up - don't like loosing fish)... I use biggish baits. If I am using light insect baits, I opt for the supplest and thinnest line. The bait acts and behaves better. If fining down to get bites, its not the sight of the line (within sensible parameters) that puts them off IMO.

I guess its like matching the hook to the size of bait.. Only you can consider the line in the same way.

For a subtle surface presentation of a beetle or locust modern lines out perform - 'the only line you'll ever need is sensor'..... for example. That lines like Sensor and Maxima have a loyal following is that they were superb lines in their time.

Drennan supplex is great, but not without line management issues. Supple is very desirable at times, but you have to be on the ball casting and keep an eye on your reel/spool casting and retrieving.

Last edited:

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Ah yes Physics, flippin science teachers : ) ... it is the case that if the mainline does the task, it's the correct choice? If it floats, sinks, is limp, is stiff, is abrasion resistant, etc. and so many lines nowadays can do most if not all of those things. Regarding what fish may or may not be put off by, a less exact science, line that resembles things in water that are filamentous, like weed etc. would to me seem most effective but everyone has experiences to the contrary. Tenching next week with Sensor and Big Game, hooklengths reflo or braid...