Spooks

R

Ron Clay

I spent the weekend in London with my son. On Sunday morning we decided to visit the Tower of London. We got there early and were virtually first in the ticket queue.

As a result we entered the Bloody Tower way ahead of all the other tourists. As I did so I experienced something dreadful. The noise of London stopped and a icy cold bast of air hit me as I stood in the main room opposite a reconstruction of Raleigh's bedchamber. I became terrified and stood stock still for a few seconds until Sean, my son caught up with me.

I went outside and sat down. Sean told me I had turned white.

Can't say much more but there was something in that dread place without a doubt. Sean told me I had turned white!!

Although we have discussed this subject before, we now have lot's of new members to this website. Any of you had strange spooky experiences, especially whilst fishing?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, I was in the Tower of London on Sunday around lunchtime, and I'm not kidding.

I thought the smell of something ancient was Raleigh, but I know better now.

R

Ron Clay

Now I know who that little guy with the very heavy rucksack was, I saw on Tower green later in the day.

Did London lighten your wallet somewhat Graham?

And I did take a shower Sunday morning you know.... ;o[

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It lightened my missus's purse Ron. I forgot my wallet when we were packing.

J

john conway

Something very frightening but not spooky. Some years ago while night fishing for sea trout in the Yorkshire Dales, I was climbing over a stile in the pitch dark and I stepped down onto the back of a sleeping cow. For the split second when it launched to it’s feet I thought it was some huge beast about to devour me. The only spooky thing I can remember is when I was a young lad I’d been left at home for a few days on my own. One of the mornings I was awakened by someone shaking my feet and telling me to get up. It’s wasn’t until I was up and dressed and realised that there was no one else in the house, it was then that I got really frighten. I never told anyone because I didn’t want to be seen as a sissy and believe me the remaining nights were spent with the lights on.

A

Andrew Miller

Many years ago when i used to have a motor bike I went fishing somewhere in Norfork/ cambridgeshire (forgotten where). This road run the lenght of a large drain. It was early morning nad it was very sunny but the drain was still covered by a thick veil of mist. As i started to ride along this road, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a huge black horse with a huge man riding it carrying a sword raised above his head. I paniced and roared down the road but they easily kept up with me.I was terrified! I thought there was no way I was going to advoid this so stopped the bike. I could still see this black horse out of the corner of my eye and the man stood up and started to swing his sword. I closed my eye... nothing happen!!! I open my eyes and turn to look at them as they were still there only to realised it was the sun casting my bike myself and my rod holdall shadow on the mist and my bloody imagination doing the rest!! Sorry not the real thing but it surprizing how much imagination can do to innocent situation!

K

Kevan Farmer

Ok, serious stuff now for once. I've fished at a few places where there has supposedly been a phantom of some sorts. The old miner with the Davy Lamp wandering around or some other strange person moving up and down the swims. I've never ever seen anything though when fishing. On the other hand I have seen strange things when I have been working at various places. Bank's brewery in W'ton. No I had not had a drink before I start. I saw a workman go around a corner that was a dead end. He disappeared. Gone. Honestly nowhere to go. My wife and I have seen what we think was a ghost in Conway - an old woman who was just totally out of place. I could go on as there are many things like this that have happened to me but there is not the room here. Try this site:

http://freespace.virgin.net/kevan.farmer/Strange_Planet/

Kevan

P

Paul Williams

Windy,
That was just Nev Fickling trying to warn you off one of his hotspots!!
Graham and Ron,
You both ought to be locked up in the tower! ;)

P

Paul Williams

Kevan,
I have been in a great many situations at all the "witching" hours during my life and seen nothing that couldn't be explained......why are some people more suseptible at "seeing" than others?........only once have i had to leave a water because i felt i may need a change of underpants, that was Kier pool Nr Tenbury and to this day i don't really know why.....other than i knew the tales related to the water and when alone in that situation the mind can go wild!

A

Andrew Miller

Paul
I agreed with your comment. I am not saying these spooky thing never happens but I am sure most of it is due to an over imaginative mind. I know i am one of them! If I didnt have a proper look at my "spook" I would have been convince it was a real experence!

K

Kevan Farmer

Paul. I agree most things can be explained - i have my own scientific theory as to the ghost phenomenon. But, it's possibly one of those things that some people see 'something' when others don't. Years ago my family and I were in Wales in Conwy. We all visited the Plas Mawr. Al the family including my father - highly sceptical - felt something, a presence. I could feel absolutely nothing.

Kevan

R

Ron Clay

We will obviously never get to the bottom of such phenomena. I have read many accounts in my life of the paranormal. One thing that seems common to a lot of experiences is the sensation of extreme cold. Tony Miles describes how some of his friends had kettles full of water freeze solid whilst bivvied up in the Evening Pitch at Redmire in summer.

Personally I hope we never do discover a logical reason for the presence or otherwise of ghosts etc. Such entities add spice to life and provide some of the most exciting stories ever told. Such places as the Tower of London would be very boring without their spooks

Long may that continue.

J

john conway

Here here Ron, it doesn’t matter if in the end it’s all in the mind, it just makes life a bit more interesting. One things for sure, if you do have such an experience you certainly forget any work problems!!!!

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
I reckon that lot from Coventry should buy their mushrooms from the supermarket and stop picking those "field" varieties!

R

Ron Clay

Personally Paul I too prefer the organic kind - not from supermarkets.

I'll mention this to Westy next week. He's coming up to Sheffield to tell us all how to catch barbel.

K

Kevan Busby

I have spent many years night fishing the canals and meres of North Shropshire and can honestly say that up to now I have not had a "spooky" encounter. However, one of the weirdest things I did see was on a beautiful summers morning at around 4am, a circle of rabbits with an old large grey rabbit in the centre having what looked very much like a debate of some sorts.

R

Ron Clay

That might have been a reincarnation of the Carp Catchers Club. The old grey rabbit was Walker of course.