Surf fishing with spinning rod?

lightdragoon

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I'm currently in the south of Spain on vacation, and since we've rescued a dog we're going to be here for a little while now. Have an 8 foot 10-40gr spin rod, though I've had no luck spinning from the shore and I keep loosing lures to snags.
Tried rock fishing but a wave nearly took me off so I've stopped that, so the question is can I surf fish with my rod? I haven't got room to go out and buy a real surf rod, so I'm thinking of using a 40gram weight and fish finder rig. I know 40gram is super light, but could it work at all? I'd be happy catching any fish right now.
Thanks.

aebitim

Reaction score
Try floatfishing bread in quieter sheltered areas such as harbours, mullet and several species of bream are the most likely catch.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
The harbour is really far from where I am, otherwise I'd give it a go. The beach is my only option.

sumtime

Reaction score
I've never had a problem fishing from rocks when abroad, if it's really choppy, stick to the beaches. I'll be in Majorca temorra for ten days so it's bread on the float. Mash loads of bread, sizes 16, 14's and 12's do me.

greenie62

Reaction score
I've never had a problem fishing from rocks when abroad, if it's really choppy, stick to the beaches. I'll be in Majorca temorra for ten days so it's bread on the float. Mash loads of bread, sizes 16, 14's and 12's do me.

Have a good'n sumtime - go gerrem la'!
Hope family doing OK,
Best wishes & Tight Lines :thumbs:

lightdragoon

Reaction score

What type of fish can be caught close in? Can float fishing from the beach work as I understand you need to cast out at least 100 yards to where the fish are?

sumtime

Reaction score
Don't know where yer got that info, I've been fishing all over the Med for donkey's years, caught fish right under my feet, mainly bream and mullet and some fish I don't know the names of. I've caught on limpets, shrimps from village shops on Greek islands but bread is the easiest of all in my book.

I'll be taking my trusty four piece travel rod with a 1000 Shimano reel.
Thanks Greenie, much appreciated. ;)

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Thassosdanfishin.jpg
[/URL][/URL]
This was on Thassos, fish were caught close in and the next pic was a bass on shrimp in a harbour.

I'm using my phone so bear with me. :)

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

bassy.jpg
[/URL][/URL]

lightdragoon

Reaction score
I read in on a sea fishing forum. So just a float and some bread? I a travel spin rod too, but a huge 4000 reel with 15lb line lol. I can just add a hook length though. The beach is the only place I can fish right now, but I'll have a look at some floats when I'm in the tackle shop.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:

terry m

Reaction score
I have had a lot of success surf fishing with light/medium carp rods and a standard reel casting feathers into the surf. On that tackle mackerel give a great account of themselves, especially when you get a double or treble hookup.

greenie62

Reaction score
Calm water, float, bread flake = Mullet!

Choppy water, rocks, lures = Bass!

Addendum to above:

Deep water, Rocks with holes, frilly lure = Octapus! :eek:

lightdragoon

Reaction score
I have had a lot of success surf fishing with light/medium carp rods and a standard reel casting feathers into the surf. On that tackle mackerel give a great account of themselves, especially when you get a double or treble hookup.

Hi Terry, that's actually a really good idea btw. What kind of rig do you use for this?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have no idea about fishing the Med however, float fishing from the beach can be difficult if there is a current (does the Med have one?). The float just does not stay long enough before it is washed in. You can try casting out as far as possible with just a weight on the end. Then clip a float link over your line and let it bungy down the line until it settles in the water. This does hold it in place. This works better fishing from a jetty, the higher up you are the more momentum for the float rig to slide down. From the beach you can clip the float rig on and hold the rod up. Bear in mind if you cast the weight out 100 yds the float rig will only settle 30 yds out but, the higher up you are the further the float rig will go . The other problem is you have no "strike" as the line just pulls through the clip which is attached to the line. However, fish do hook themselves especially hard hitting fish like mackerel and bass. But, you do have to reel the line in until it hits the weight. A live sand-eel on the hook works well, failing that a dead one but, a prawn or shrimp etc could work.

I have used this on English beaches and caught fish on it. Mackerel - but any bass, bream about may go for it. Mullet would be hard to strike the hook in but, you can get some traction with a side swipe.

Not the greatest method to fish and to be honest it was mainly for me when fishing a jetty with lots of anglers on it. Me being a float nut and not wanting my float to drift into other anglers lines and being lazy, it does allow you to float fish without the tide washing the float in every five minutes. Just thought I would put this in to give you something to think about on the chance it may appeal.

Another thing I used to do was set up a beach caster with a weight and a paternoster hook link. But, attach a float two thirds along the length of the paternoster. This is not float fishing as such because the float is under the water, but it keeps the bait off the bottom away from crabs and it allows the dead sand-eel or prawn to waft about in the current just off the bottom and look "alive", which is far more attractive than a dead static bait lying on the bottom. However, it would tangle on the cast so I used to use some of that dissolving string to tie the float etc to the main line. After a few minutes the string would dissolve and allow the float and bait to separate and present nicely as described. A bit of a palaver setting it up for each cast but, again ,just some food for thought. You may think of a way of having the float on the surface if the water is shallow with this method-All the best.

PS-using a red float for the above method-fish are attracted to red and if they don't see the bait first they might see the red float wafting about and investigate and then see your bait wafting about behind it.. Works better in a clear sea, murky sea not so good.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Hi Terry, that's actually a really good idea btw. What kind of rig do you use for this?

Normal carp gear and a set of 'off the shelf feathers, with a lead as heavy as the gear can comfortably cast. Typically 2.5 oz.

Heave it out as far as possible and wind it back in - simple!

derwentbob

Reaction score
Are there any structures at all where you are? Anywhere there is a bit of a breakwater or a jetty will mean the fish are closer than on open beach. If you are losing tackle on the rocks then try a biggish float (I use old piking gear) and floatfish seafood baits (mussels, limpets, prawns etc.)