Your very first allnighter.

flightliner

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

[/COLOR]
Not guilty!

I covered South Yorks including Royston, but not into the bad lands of West Yorks :eek:

Although I was involved in a few pursuits that went over the county line. And spookily the first ever incident I attended was a car crash at the neighbouring Cold Hiendley Reservoir where both South and West Yorks officers attended due it being near to the border and neither force not knowing exactly who's it was. The West Yorks crew included my mate who I'd shared a car with on the fourteen week training course in Durham. It was a stolen car and I tracked the driver down by following a trail through the fields before the dog handler turned up.

My own dog handing beat was round your area;- Wath right through to Dinnington.

When I fished Ryhill as a teenager there was a fluid system of day tickets rigorously enforced by Dennis the bailiff who patrolled the lake on his Honda 50. If you wanted a day ticket it was two quid. If you just wanted to fish and not have the paper evidence you gave Dennis a quid. There was no night fishing allowed so that cost a fiver for both days and the night with no tickets issued. :wh
NP, that bailiff must have been there for decades, it was the same in the nineties.
I did enjoy the place for a short while but things turned for the worse between some anglers so I left for calmer waters.
All a bit sad really.

Last edited:

Steve2020

Reaction score
I Was 17 years old when I did first did a night session at Edgbaston reservoir Birmingham in the mid 80's, completely unprepared without a Bivvy or brolly or appropriate clothing I went with a friend touch ledgering it was very cold and absolutely hammered it down with rain, I remember we raided a local skip and built a shelter out of the doors we salvaged. Terrible night from a comfort point of view but enjoyable in a weird way. I caught 1 bream of around 3lb

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

flightliner

Reaction score
I was sixteen, me and three mates caught the old anglers express train down to the river WItham. We had an old tent and we were going to fish till dark then sleep the night then fish again until it was time to get the train back home.
we were pitched tween the river and the now non existant railway line and we were out of food and drink by late afternoon so one of the lads legged it to the nearest village to get fresh supplies-- oh dear-- no shop!!!.The only food we had was four sausage rolls, things looked grim for sure.
That night in the tent was the most uncomfortable in my life, no groundsheet so we were on dampish grass and lots of creepy crawlies.
Worse still, in the early light of dawn one of the lads woke up to find a swan had its neck in the tent and had scoffed the sausage rolls!
We fished the following sunday but good god, it was a sorry bunch of teenagers that arrived back home later that evening, tired, hungry, dishevelled, we had cuaght lots of fish tho and we still laugh about it all these years later.

markhib

Reaction score
Late 70's, was persuaded by my mate to take the train up to Castle Loch to bag up on the huge bream there.
Assumed we'd be hauling them in all night long so just took seat box, rods and whatever I was wearing.
It was a clear night, we didn't catch a thing, I was so cold I curled up on the floor and waited to die.
Got a nice photograph of a swan in the morning mist, didn't go fishing again for 35 years.
Mark.

bezzer

Reaction score
So you were all revved up to go on your very first all night fishing session, how did it go, did it exceed all expectations or were you put off by it all?.:)

Have to go a long way back for that!

It was in 1982 at Napton reservoir. It used to be on a Coventry District Anglers Association book and they allowed night fishing.

My mate and I had fished it many times before during the day and decided rather than get there at 4am to get a decent peg (it was very popular back then) we'd go straight from work on a Friday and do a weekend.

Arrived at 6pm and the place was empty. Chose 2 pegs on the small lake next to each other, set the rods up and then drove into Stockton for a bite to eat and a pint. I can't imagine leaving all my kit unattended for an hour these days! Got back and there were 8 or 10 other blokes there ready for the night.

Both of us fished 2 rods and used 'Optonic' bite alarms. No sleeping bags, no bivvys, no cooking facilities just a box, brolly and a blanket. Simple set up, open ended feeder, size 14 hook with 2 pieces of corn.

Over the weekend we had over 40 Tench between us. It was one of the best fishing memories I have.

But the abiding memory I have was just how cold a June night gets!!

nicepix

Reaction score

[/COLOR]
NP, that bailiff must have been there for decades, it was the same in the nineties.
I did enjoy the place for a short while but things turned for the worse between some anglers so I left for calmer waters.
All a bit sad really.

It is on the Leeds book now flight' The carp bivvy boys have taken over the Half Moon area but there are still loads of unfished pegs on the opposite bank if you are willing to paddle out into the reed beds.

flightliner

Reaction score

[/COLOR]

It is on the Leeds book now flight' The carp bivvy boys have taken over the Half Moon area but there are still loads of unfished pegs on the opposite bank if you are willing to paddle out into the reed beds.
Bit slow NP, the Nutrabait lads took it apart back in the mid nineties .
Nice venue tho but it got a bit " Happy valley" by the time I moved on.:eek:

guest61

Reaction score
My first allnighter had nothing to do with fishing, as a lot of folk in my age (ing) bracket will know !

redfin123

Reaction score
did quite afew alnighters on the witham in the late 50s, went down on the saturday morning train from sheffield came back on sunday evening train from boston , great stuff enjoyed every minute.:D:D

flightliner

Reaction score
Guy I once knew did the same, not by choice but he missed his train from Dogdyke. So, with no choice he hid his gear and slept in the gunnals of a moored up pleasure craft after having a few beers in the old "Packet inn" .lol

pidgergj

Reaction score
Mine was last year, took my 8 year old son with me, i was fortunate enough to win a bivvy on an ebay auction VERY cheaply but more than up to the task. I made sure that i was overly prepared, mainly because i had the boy with me, iv had many a cold wet night in my line of work and didnt want my little man to hate it. We both absolutely loved it, didnt catch what we were after but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless and something we will be doing again.