How did you get on?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Following last Monday's little chub fest I returned on Friday but this time I was greeted by a hard frost and -5c. Third trot down I had a reasonable chub which was very encouraging. But, other than a couple of roach, that was pretty much it for next several hours. Problems with the rod rings icing up despite frequent application of glycerine just added to my frustration.

Pig Shoot.jpg

Then as the temperature may have climbed to 0c and the "retired" Fishery Manager arrived for a chat, I had two superb chub just 30 minutes apart: 6lbs 04oz and 6lbs 07oz.

6lbs 04oz.jpg
6lbs 07oz.jpg

Excuse the silly hats, it was bitterly cold early on and then the sun came out for 10 minutes and I needed some form of peak to shade my eyes.

I then only managed two more much smaller chub later on to complete a chilly day on the Stour.

I actually had a third visit yesterday meeting up with a mate for his first ever look at Throop. The coldest night of the year so far, a very heavy frost and freezing temperatures greeted us... and then it snowed! Suffice to say we quickly decided to adjourn to a local pub for a pie and pint.

319033748_720732216310012_8143159290409515146_n.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Following last Monday's little chub fest I returned on Friday but this time I was greeted by a hard frost and -5c. Third trot down I had a reasonable chub which was very encouraging. But, other than a couple of roach, that was pretty much it for next several hours. Problems with the rod rings icing up despite frequent application of glycerine just added to my frustration.

View attachment 25269

Then as the temperature may have climbed to 0c and the "retired" Fishery Manager arrived for a chat, I had two superb chub just 30 minutes apart: 6lbs 04oz and 6lbs 07oz.

View attachment 25271 View attachment 25273

Excuse the silly hats, it was bitterly cold early on and then the sun came out for 10 minutes and I needed some form of peak to shade my eyes.

I then only managed two more much smaller chub later on to complete a chilly day on the Stour.

I actually had a third visit yesterday meeting up with a mate for his first ever look at Throop. The coldest night of the year so far, a very heavy frost and freezing temperatures greeted us... and then it snowed! Suffice to say we quickly decided to adjourn to a local pub for a pie and pint.

View attachment 25275

That last photo is a belter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry m

Reaction score
Grits in my opinion are unfit for human consumption.

My ex wife (who was from Alabama) loved them as do her kids but they are one thing I refuse to cook.

In the Southern States GRITS stands for Girls Raised In The South.
Agree 100%.

Our HQ was in North Carolina and the team persuaded me to order shrimp and grits in a restaurant once. I have rarely tasted such filth. Grits is only suitable to throw over an oil spill to contain it.

riverman

Reaction score

View attachment 25269

View attachment 25271 View attachment 25273

View attachment 25275
2 clonking chub there neil.after those two belters you derserved a pie and a pint.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Agree 100%.

Our HQ was in North Carolina and the team persuaded me to order shrimp and grits in a restaurant once. I have rarely tasted such filth. Grits is only suitable to throw over an oil spill to contain it.

I've never tried them but was curious after hearing them mentioned in the past. On finding out that grits is just a glorified porridge made of corn (maize) meal I'm fairly content that I never will try grits. I've had polenta a few times and disliked that, the prospect of runny polenta does not appeal regardless of what it's served or flavoured with.

@Clive

Reaction score
Grits, aka ground maize is best simmered until soft then served to barbel, carp or roach. Definitely not for human consumption.

John Aston

Reaction score
In North Carolina I tried grits , if only to say that I had . 'Underwhelming ' implies that they tasted of something. They didn't .

Biscuits and gravy too - the biscuits were rather twee little scone things (thangs ?) but the gravy was unspeakable gunk.

We went to a NASCAR race where the piece de resistance was a cheese and bacon sandwich weighing seven pounds . Here it is
P1000362.JPG

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Finally the weather high up in the Cantal (wettest region in France!) has generated enough rain to awaken the river, it must have been raining constantly this last week. The Truyer reservoirs must be topped up and the hydro-electric generators back in use, 400 m3/s of water being let out for about 10 hours last night.

That lump of water went through my local stretch this morning and the river level was dropping through the afternoon. I did not fancy fishing in the rain and decided to wait until it drops a little further. Almost any fish should feed in the next couple of days, just depends how the water temperature has held up.

So I had a little drive down the valley checking for swims that might fish soon. A few photos to share, no sunshine in these!

IMG_20221215_153440.jpg
IMG_20221215_143909.jpg
IMG_20221215_145756.jpg
IMG_20221215_145605.jpg

Even when the weather is miserable this is still a wonderful place to be!

Last edited:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
In “The Angler in India or The Mighty Mahseer” by “Skene Dhu” (1923) there is a communication from a Captain L. Fortescue dated 1922 about fishing the river Ravi. He mentions that it is much overlooked by anglers despite there being some reasonable fishing and gives excellent descriptions of pools and junctions, bags therein, time of day to fish and seasons, camping grounds, what game was available to supplement rations, routes to the pools etc. In short a thoroughly useful missive.

The Ravi is the smallest of the five rivers that make up the Punjab (Punj=five, Ab=water or river). The others are the Beas, the Chenab, the Jhelum, and the Sutlej. Things have changed since Fortescue’s day and the river has been dammed for hydroelectric power. The resulting lake, the Ranjeet Sagar, is some forty kilometres long and has long since drowned the pools and junctions under hundreds of feet of water.

But mahseer abound and a call from our guides and friends from the Trout Water Lodge in Kashmir advising a visit saw my schoolmate, Thakur Ghanshyam Singh of Kharwa, and myself tootling up the highway ( and I mean tootling, the klaxon was much in use) from Delhi to Pathankot. At Pathankot we turned into the hills and twisted and climbed our way to Dhari and the perhaps aptly named Hunky Dory Resort. There we met our guides and two other friends from Bangladesh.

The guides had been fishing and were full of tales of innumerable fish in the 1 to 4kg range in a bay they had named Area 51! On enquiry about secrets from the aliens they produced their magic weapon. It looked awfully like a Mepps No.3 spinner to me!

Armed with spinners and in my case my heavy rod, for there were rumours of leviathans, we set sail in large, stable, flat bottomed boats from under the bridge which spans the lake at Basholi.

745028F8-117A-4EB4-8736-D596772EBABD.jpeg

The bridge at Basholi. Fortescue described the views obtainable as “rather jolly”! The eternal snows of the high Himalayas can be seen peeking out from behind the foothills.

Area 51 lived up to its promise and we caught innumerable fish in the 1 to 3kg range.

3B96CF20-F3B8-4959-BA6D-DE1B280845C1.jpeg

Small mahseer on a Mepps spinner.

The method was trolling with occasional periods of casting towards the shore while letting the boat drift on a dead engine.

F1588CDB-E61D-4A5A-B620-433B850E98DB.jpeg

Ghanshyam with a nice fish from Area 51. I am holding his rod. Umar is holding the fish.

I caught my first fish with my rod in a holder and only knew I had one when the boatman yelled out that a fish was on. I reeled it in alright but it was egg without salt. I held my rod thereafter and the sudden tug of a fish as it hit the lure, and the anticipation of a hit made the experience more palatable.

It was Umar who stole the show on the first day. We fished with spinners but he fished with a two inch deep diver called a Hot N Tot Madflash in “shad” colours with a red flash on the belly. He outfished us 5 to 1 although nothing big. So the 2nd day saw us fishing similar lures. Again a lot of fish but nothing big. Until the evening that is. On a last sweep around Area 51 our host, Doc. Faisal, put on a larger 4 inch lure which dove a lot deeper. The result was a 7 kg fish that fought like a tiger.

I am no trolling expert having done my mahseer fishing along running Himalayan streams casting from the bank. It was only on the third day, having changed my heavy rod for a light trout spinning rod and a Shimano spinning reel in the 3000 size more suited to the size of fish we were catching that I had one of those absolutely Archimedean “eureka” moments. That too by sheer accident or courtesy of a fish.

To my eye, two days of brilliant sunshine and warmer than usual weather seemed to have triggered the beginnings of an algal bloom on the lake. The crystal waters seemed a little tainted with green on the third day. Adding Faisal’s bigger fish on a bigger lure to my thought process I decided I needed a big lure, with deeper diving characteristics, in very bright colours, to contact the larger fish which were apparently lying below the schoolies at approximately 15 to 20 feet of water.

A search through the lure boxes produced just one likely lure. Called the Samba 400F, it had a bright chartreuse, fat and deep body, slightly darker head and a bold red flash on the belly and was some 4 inches in body length. It was a floating deep diver. I had bought it in Singapore around the turn of the century and never used it. A test showed it diving straight down, holding depth until vertically below the rod tip, and even through the slight tinge of colour in the water, glowing like a green candle at a depth of 15 feet.

Whether it was the logic or just fortuitous chance, it worked. Umar had just hooked a small mahseer at the mouth of the bay (Area 51) and I was trying to reel in my line to avoid tangling his. The light rod and deep diving lure meant I had to pump it in even though the boat was just drifting. The result was a sink and draw motion as the lure floated up at the end of every pump. A hard strike saw a fish strip 50 yards of line from the reel. A savage fight of 15 minutes saw a 6 kg mahseer in the net. Finally a lightbulb went off in this pea brain. I had been trolling inertly, holding the rod still and letting the lure wiggle steadily along. It now occurred to me that I could impart a lot of action to the lure using my rod, and yes, I am dumb. My only excuse is that I have not trolled before!

Once the light bulb went on the lure caught fish after fish, all above the average. Towards the end of the day a savage take saw my rod bow over and then straighten. An inspection showed the forward treble had been wrenched off. Mahseer destroy lures.

It was too late to bother about putting on another treble and I lazily continued fishing with just the tail treble. Ghanshyam hooked a small mahseer and once again while pumping in my lure I had a massive strike, which with great good fortune saw the fish hooked on the tail treble. The usual screaming runs saw a 7 kg fish in the boat.

There was much heart burning in camp that night. I had the lure that caught the big ones and there was only the one!

F58B732B-C8C4-4A13-BFDC-C96555610DAA.jpeg

Ghanshyam and I were done with fishing Area 51. On the last day we told the boatman to point his prow northwards and we steamed off as hard as his tired old engine would go. Fortescue mentions a junction between the Chiril stream and the Ravi river and an hour and half of hard going saw us there. Enroute, we sipped tea and absorbed the magnificent views. Here the hills were higher, the stretches of jungle thicker and deeper, and the eroded faces of half submerged hills added many twisting shapes to please the eye.

Fortescue records two good fish caught at this junction despite the junction itself being a rapid on the Ravi. The rapid is now well submerged but we reckoned that the structure would make good holding places for large fish as would the undercuts in the half drowned cliffs along the banks.

The Doctor caught the first fish of about 3 kg. Not large, but it showed there were fish to be had here.

The boatman, an old hand at the game, swung the boat towards a cliff rearing out of the water, forcing my lure to swing out past the line of the boat to search the undercut that was surely there. By some instinct I began to pump the lure at the same time. Just as I commenced my third pump the rod went over like it had been sandbagged and, with the boat going one way and the fish the other, line absolutely smoked off the reel. The boatman killed the engine with alacrity and the unwieldy boat lost way immediately but the fish did not. I watched as the level of line sank so rapidly on the reel that I feared I would be spooled. A good 140 meters of line had gone when the fish finally slowed and held station. I could not move him or gain an inch. Were it not for the occasional savage jerk of his head I would have sworn I had hooked the bottom.

The fish suddenly decided he would head for the cliff. No doubt he knew every inch of its submerged surface and knew the hole he wanted to bolt into. Fortunately he did this at an angle towards the boat allowing me to retrieve line. I bent the rod into its maximum battle curve, clamped a hand on the spool, despite the reel already being near its maximum drag and held on for dear life. An eight and a half foot light trout spinning rod is hardly the weapon to slow a large mahseer hell bent on going somewhere and I was certain the fish would make the undercut and my line would be cut on the overhang. But the fish slowed, stopped, surged again, turned and headed into open water much to the relief of all.

Ten minutes I had already fought him on maximum drag but he wrenched another hundred metres of line out before he stopped. He let me bring him in towards the boat this time and we hoped his strength was petering out. If so there was any amount of peter left to run. Twenty yards from the boat he turned and surged off on another screaming run. The reel howled, the rod stayed fixed in its curve and we stared in wonder at the rooster tail where the line snaked away into the depths.

We had not set eyes on him yet for he stayed deep. Twenty minutes and three or four more searing runs later, he surfaced some eighty metres out. The line running from the rod tip to the fish confirmed it as the fish we had hooked, but not a sound left our lips as we stared at the long dark shape that lay on the surface of the water.

Another thirty minutes and many lunges and runs later he finally lay alongside the boat and we lifted him in.

F7F1999F-BE64-4EEC-B904-CB54D6D841D2.jpeg

Golden Mahseer (Tor putitora) 17 kgs. (37.47 lbs). The promised pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They grow much bigger.

The weight of the fish is not important. Its beauty will remain. But it is the magnificent views, the wonderful companionship, the delicious coolth of the evening after the days bright sun, the splash of whisky in a tin cup as you head home while the hills are coloured by the setting sun that will forever be remembered.

All The best

Lakhyaman

P.S. Apologies for taking up so much space but I had no other tale to tell.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Had a few hours out this morning. It was -2C when I left home and 10C when I got back. I have an airport run this afternoon or I would have gone later. Must have been over 100 cormorants grouped tightly with herons, egrets and even crows trying to join the party. The centre of activity was over 100 metres from either bank so out of range. If I could fish from the dam they were only 30 metres from the bank. Tried both banks with small feeder packed with a maize and Gros Gardons groundbait mix and a few maggots. Single red maggot on the hook. Nothing doing.

20221218_100542_crop_80.jpg.ae5737814a927b039187fc48d8ac98ba.jpg

20221218_102623_resize_33.jpg.083accc092325a7cd0df60350e5af18e.jpg

The Sogster

Reaction score
Fabulous report Lakhyaman took me right back to my times on the Beas, Sutlej and Pong dam (Maharanas Pratap Sagar).

Many thanks.

Edit to add: not fishing related but I once had a train fom Pathankot that was delayed for five weeks gave me a fantastic opportunity to explore the surrounding area.

Last edited:

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
It's always a pleasure to see a new beautifully written post from you Lakhyaman, but this one in particular was a real epic story which I thoroughly enjoyed!
Those Mahseer look absolute beasts, and the one which gave you such a run-around is just jaw dropping.
All the best.

mikench

Reaction score
A truly wonderfully written and incisive account of fishing we can only dream about and in surroundings very few of us will ever encounter. I enjoyed every word Lakhyaman and the photos. I look back on my travelling many years ago to Islamabad, Lahore and northern India , when I knew nothing about fishing and wonder what sport might have been available had I been interested. I shall never know and as my host wasn’t an angler, it would have been ungracious of me to have asked.
Very well done Lakhyaman and the compliments of the season to you.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
A truly wonderfully written and incisive account of fishing we can only dream about and in surroundings very few of us will ever encounter. I enjoyed every word Lakhyaman and the photos. I look back on my travelling many years ago to Islamabad, Lahore and northern India , when I knew nothing about fishing and wonder what sport might have been available had I been interested. I shall never know and as my host wasn’t an angler, it would have been ungracious of me to have asked.
Very well done Lakhyaman and the compliments of the season to you.
Many thanks and you are welcome to join at a time of your convenience. A happy Christmas and New Year to you.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks Lakhyaman for another brilliant story from your part of the world. What a fish. I bet you buy some bigger lures for your next trip.
Seasons greeting to you and your fishing mates.

Edit. Looking at your photos it would appear there is a large drop and fall in water levels ?

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Thanks Lakhyaman for another brilliant story from your part of the world. What a fish. I bet you buy some bigger lures for your next trip.
Seasons greeting to you and your fishing mates.

Edit. Looking at your photos it would appear there is a large drop and fall in water levels ?
Thank you, and yes the internet is being intensively searched. Unfortunately the lure appears no longer to be made. There are similar ones though.

There is a large drop in water levels by March. The lake is narrower and the water like gin. it is a good time for big fish.

Seasons greetings to you.

riverman

Reaction score
Well that session wasn't as good as I thought it would be.plus it didn't feel like the 10 degrees C that was forecast.finished with 9 roach on pole fished maggots.no takes on leger with luncheon meat.it was a bonus session after all as I thought I was done for the year.role on mid Feb now can't wait for my next outing😁