How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Not bad for a couple of hours.....
As I took this photo an Indian lady stopped and asked if they were mackerel? I pointed to each fish naming it for her, when I said bream she said "oh sea bream:eek:mg:"[/QUOTE]

Missed a trick there, "yes they are mackerel madam, 50p each to you, and the sea bream 75p each. they are a £1 each in the shop". I make that £8.50. If she asked your name "Derrick". Well, whose going to notice the difference in a number 58 !

Strewth, I have just come up with a new enterprise; this time next year I will be millionaire.

Last edited:
B

binka

Well that’s another very enjoyable day running sticks and Avons down the river, I’ve got to admit that after nine hours stood in it I’m glad to get my feet up.

Arrived fairly early around 7am and was fishing shortly after having set up a stick rig on the light float rod along with an Avon and bulked shot arrangement on the heavy float rod ready for when I suspected the barbel were sniffing around.

It was very overcast to begin with and even a light shower as I began sending it through and shortly after getting into a rythm with the feed the silvers began to show… Chublets in their masses along with skimmers, some decent netter perch, a few decent stamp roach with the odd bleak and gudgeon thrown in for good measure.

I had the same pike hit perch of around half a pound twice and think he got a bit of a fright the second time as he had trouble shaking the fish free and for a few moments I thought I had him, I never saw him again after that but in both cases I got the perch in albeit they were a bit worse for wear!

Eventually, after many silvers, I took a small barbel on the stick followed by a couple of biteless runs through and so I switched to the Avon on the heavier set up and second put in I hit into a nice barbel which was duly landed following the usual fracas…

I was pleased with the fish but even more so that I had read it right.

Another barbel followed shortly afterwards before then swapping a good barbel for a few strands of weed after it had run me downstream and straight into a weedbed.

A biteless half hour or so then followed and so I decided to go back to the stick and picked up silvers again immediately before a sneaky barbel thought he’d give me a run on the light gear…

And that was pretty much the pattern of things for the rest of the day with stacks of silvers and plenty of barbel falling to both set ups until, around four o’clock, my feet declared it was time to call it a day.

Fish of the day has to be, amongst all this talk of declining barbel populations, this little fella and the many others like him that put in an appearance throughout the day…

I must have been engrossed as I hadn’t noticed the point at which the heavily overcast morning had changed into the hot sunny afternnon and fearing dehydration I thought it would be wise to call in at the local riverside pub where I found the rarity of my favourite beer on ice cold draught…

It would have been rude not too...

Get In! :)

nicepix

Reaction score
After a hard night partying (Bastille Day) I faced an 85 minute journey to my first job this morning and that only took 15 minutes to complete. Two moles trapped and so I would be able to invoice. So, faced with another 85 minutes drive to my other job near home I opted to stop off at a new venue and have a look. The river is about 40 metres wide and a lot slower than the other stretch I'd fished a month or two back. There were some lilies along each bank and while I didn't see any fish other than small chub it looked good.

I had some tackle with me and so decided to have a go for a couple of hours. The priority was for shade given the 36C temp. I found a shady spot and it was a rod length deep a rod length out. The lilies extended to about a metre then it must have dropped almost vertical. So it was a large porcy quill, BB a foot from the hook and three AAA set just under depth a couple of feet from the BB. I've just got a small chest freezer for bait and I was using the bait left over from a previous session. I'd just dropped the bait bucket in the freezer, groundbait, salmon boilies and cooked maize all in one bucket. I tried maize and had a sail away bite that I missed de mainly to my being preoccupied with a Quiche Lorraine. Then nothing for an hour except for a Pomme Chauson that was delicious.

I switched to a feeder fished mid-river and put an alarm and bobbin on so I could nod off. The food and sunshine didn't sit well after a late night. What seemed like two seconds later, probably half an hour I woke to an annoying high pitched bleeping and managed to convert it into a carp of about 7lbs. Then bream spoiled the party so I swapped to a larger bait for no reward.

One river pig and two snotties.

Keith M

Reaction score
An evening on my local estate lake

I was hoping to have another evening on my local stream after Barbel with my son Stuart, but he is studying hard for an exam he's got on Friday in London, so he couldn't go, so I decided to leave him alone to study and have another short evening session on the estate lake after some Carp.

I got to the lake at about 6pm and settled for a swim close to where I fished in my last report and I decided to fish one rod in a gap in the Lillies out in the middle of the lake and have the other bait close to a bed of lillies on my right about 5 or 6 rod lengths out (see pic below).

The Swim.

There were two others on the lake who had been there overnight and they had both had disappointing results with only 3 Carp between them and there were hardly any Carp cruising on the top which is quite unusual for this time of year on this lake and I wasn't feeling very confident.
I noticed too that the water/air pumps that had been running on the previous visit had been turned off so this might be the reason, with less oxygen in the water.

I had to wait until around 8:30pm before I had my first run which turned out to be a nice Mirror of just over 13lb (see Pic below).

Around 45 mins later I had a second run which turned out to be another Mirror of a similar size to the first but I didn't bother photographing it.

It didn't turn out to be as bad as I expected after talking to the two other anglers who had spent the night there, and I had had two low doubles, and had enjoyed the evening, and at around 9:30 I packed up quickly so that I could have time to have a quick pint on the way home,

Keith

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
What's a Pomme Chauson to us Yorkshire lads?:confused:

I think it's what you would call an "Apple Turnover" - which the French call a "slipper" - 'cos they 'slip' down easily! ;):D - or because the puff pastry on the bottom has gone hard and acquired the texture of an old slipper! :eek::D

This classic dish is usually written as "pommes aux chaussons" - but even the french get confused when trying to decline a singular version of something whose name comprises plural forms of words! :eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
That's right Greenie. Literally a shoe with apple. I get about quite a bit on my mole patrol and usually buy lunch on my travels. Often it includes a chausse pomme or pain aux rasens although there are a few patisseries here and there that do a nice custard flan type of thing.

b.t.w Mick; I am also a Yorkshire lad. From Barnsley :eek:

mickrigney

Reaction score
Thanks lads always willing to learn!!
You took a few wrong turns at Stairfoot Roundabout to end up in France Nicepix. My favourite country.
Tight Lines:)

neil1970

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I went out after a chub or a barbel.

1" cubes of Spam flavoured with ocean pride on the hair.

I fished about 6 different swims and only had one bite after scaling down the bait to two 1/2" bits of meat.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Tried a canal for a few hours yesterday, not much to report, 3 roach was all I caught at first, then it went dead. Another difficult very shallow weedy water with very warm temperatures. I think these types of waters would be better fished at night with the conditions at the moment. Just stuck to sweetcorn to avoid the small fry, still; fairly nice roach but, was hoping for a bonus tench. Lovely spot and a nice day, lots of wildlife.
Then moved to a river nearby, disturbed 3 small chub right under my feet, water was very clear and not a bite. Gave up after an hour.

In need of some simple big fish therapy, think I might give a commercial a go next time. A man has to do .................

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had a couple of days fishing off Aberdovey on board Charlie Bartletts 'Mikatcha' [http://www.aberdoveyfishing.com/] on Tuesday and Wednesday with mixed success.

Tuesday saw us steaming out 60 + miles into St Georges channel to a wartime wreck which was solid with pollack up to 15 lb which were free biting and hard fighting. The fish were filleted on board and 8 anglers filled 6 boxes of fillets in 6 hours. I personally found the whole process of hauling the things up through 300 ft of water too much like a days work and although I believe you should try most things (with the exception of incest and prison sex) at least once I made a pact with myself not to bother with wreck fishing again.

Wednesday saw us steaming 8 miles out into Cardigan bay where we fished in 70 ft of water with stepped up carp gear (6 oz leads) for anything which swims.
I landed 9 different species including black bream over 3lb and bull huss to 12lb. We then went over to the tope grounds which was a bit less productive with only one tope landed. This is most unusual for Charlie as he usually gets straight on them but by the time we worked out where they were we could not get on that mark, something to do with wind over tide which I didn't understand but nodded along with my version of a wise look on my face pretending I did.

This was supposed to be a three-day trip for me but due to other commitments I had to cut it short, but I have spoken to one of the other lads who went out again yesterday and they got straight on the tope and landed 20 odd (3 or 4 each) before the anglers decided to call it a day and head back to the bream marks.

If anyone fancies a day out I can not recommend this skipper highly enough and if you can go at short notice he has a list of people he can call to make up numbers which he will happily add you to. I will warn you though, he does come across as a bit abrasive so if you have a thin skin you might want to find someone else to go with.

nicepix

Reaction score
I d*cked an opportunity to go fishing today. I'd finished my mole patrol by 11am and could have detoured to one of the rivers I'd pass on the way home. But the heat got to me.

Instead I went home and spent the afternoon in the cool of the basement boiling some bait. I'd got some peanuts and hemp seeds soaking and made four big bags of boiled and ground peanut mash and eight bags of hemp seeds. Then I reduced the hemp liquor and used it to make four bags of sticky method mix groundbait with some ground hemp seeds, maize flour and ground maize ground bait. The freezer is almost full.

john step

Reaction score
Nicepix, I have just had a couple of weeks in Charente. I concur about the heat!!
Had a wander along a couple of rivers (without rods). Some beautiful stretches above Pons. Like a mini Hants Avon:)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I've not heard of that place John. We regularly go to the Cognac area where the River Charente is similar to the Thames and much further downstream near to Saintes and Rochefort it is tidal and good for mullet. The area around Marans is an angler's paradise.

The problem at the minute is the heat. This is the first 'proper' summer we have experienced and after four weeks of it I'm wilting. We are currently on an orange warning for thunder storms. I've just been out and secured everything that needed to be.