How did you get on?

rubio

Reaction score
Having taken an enforced week way from fishing to deal with all the issues that follow one around until they just have to be dealt with, it was very good to get out for a few hours today. It was a 10pm decision made last night so I didn't expect miracles, and by golly, I wasn't disappointed !
It was the promise of rain in the forecast that got my a$$ into gear so it was a case of deciding baits what might do best. In the end I went for bread flake/crust for the wet/overcast period first thing and then hemp/tares as the light improved via the promised sunshine from mid morning. The freezer was raided and a few slices of medium thick plus the hemp and tares were left to defrost for the 04.30 off.
Yes, we had the rain for an hour or two and the flake produced a few roach, but for some strange reason and over an hour or so, every bite producing a fish became every bite producing ziltch. No rhyme nor reason, they just went finicky on me....

The hemp and tares gave me a few more fish, but I became fixated on the flake missed bites and tried a few things to rectify it. The 14 hook with small pinches was changes to a 12 with more hook point showing and this improved matters to some degree. I then went OTT and used a 10 with larger lumps of flake, but things only improved markedly when quite by chance I recast with just the remnants of the original flake still on the hook and took a nice roach around 10" long.
In the end I was using pinched ( or part flattened ) 6mm discs of flake ( produced by a meat cutter being pushed through the bread ) on the seemingly oversized hook and this took a dozed fish between 6" to 11" long......Yes, a 6" roach on a size 10, and fairly hooked in the top lip !

Sport gradually fizzled out as it got warmer and despite a change back to H & T I gave it best around noon.

Not a bad session, with a bit of lateral thinking giving me the edge..........just !

ps Oh, and I learned something new as well !

Maybe a try with 'wet' bread when you get into similar territory again. And with roach you always will. I love discs for bread fishing. Squeezed, dunked, half-press, folded............a dozen different baits in one. I been using old pole sections for sometime now to cut them. Easier I find than meat punches in similar sizes.
Also I managed a small roach and one crucian last time out. Not much but two fish better than last 3 trips out.

neil1970

Reaction score
I got out for a couple of hours today, with a shallow spot in mind that I though might hold a chub ready to accept a lure.

I was right (for once) and caught a tiny one on a surface insect almost immediately, then went on to lose two much better fish in quick succession.

On the walk home I swapped for a tiny soft plastic and caught plenty of
small perch.

nicepix

Reaction score
I got out for a couple of hours today, with a shallow spot in mind that I though might hold a chub ready to accept a lure.

I was right (for once) and caught a tiny one on a surface insect almost immediately, then went on to lose two much better fish in quick succession.

On the walk home I swapped for a tiny soft plastic and caught plenty of
small perch.

You are getting pretty good at that game. :)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter crabtree
Hooked 2 lumps and smashed 2 light rigs during the day .
3 hours yesterday tying whip rigs kind of paid off Skippy'...
Swung most of them but didn't lose any at the net....

I think you might find big angry sea trout hooked at night rather more challenging than a 4oz half dead skimmer. You want to try some proper manfishing sometime but remember to bring a change of underpants !

Sorry guys I thought this was the opening shot in seatbox wars, must have been mistaken:confused::wh

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well after Saturdays totalo fluff on the golf course leading to a cragged up back i thought sod work today and went fishing at a small private pool i am a member of ,

What a day it turned out to be straight from the off 4 stonking Crucians ( my all time favorite fish to catch) followed by 3 Tench the big female one bending the scales at 6lb 9oz . plus a few nice roach and bream total of 17lb 3oz not bad thou i say it my self Oh and sorry folks i DID take the camera but made the big mistake of putting the batteries in here at home so by the time i needed it flat bloody Olyimpus optio ..

PG ..

john step

Reaction score
I went to a small club fishery up on the wolds today and had to depart smartly like a right wus.

There is a type of virulent biting horse fly in swarms that seems to be getting worse every year. They attack in numbers and spoil any concentration needed
to fish. Fishing has to be enjoyable not an ordeal.

I ended up on another club lake for 3 carp and about a dozen lumpy roach.

neil1970

Reaction score
I met Simon down the Colne today, he was already catching lots of perch, chub and roach on the stick float. He ended up with 5.5lbs in a few hours.

I went roaming for a big perch...and caught loads of small ones:eek:

Nice day.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Neil I really enjoyed my 4 hour session.
Thanks skippy too for these lovely Lignum vitae floats you gave me a few years back...

Great floats, which being made of dense hardwood give you the weight to cast with minimum shot...

Neil, mate, there are 16oz to the lb. it was 5lb 8oz...;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You are most welcome,Simon. That was one of my rare moments of spontaneous generosity and though they are jolly nice floats tbh I never really got on with them. I'm glad they are getting out rather than rattling around dry as a bone in my tacklebox. Buqqers to get the shot loading right as I recall.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
From Sunday 12th to Friday 17th I was at my favourite lake in Devon chasing big carp - well that was the idea - heavy rain all of Saturday night slowed the fishing down to almost nothing,caught a few nice commons though but had 5 fish fall off,hook was sharp,I wouldn't have wanted it in my lip but as always the wildlife filled in the blanks : kingfishers,buzzards,
nuthatches,jays,ravens,peregrine falcon,sparrowhawk & all the smaller birds made it good to be there.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another four hours or so on the river, which is getting even lower than the painfully low it was last week. It's so bad that trotting is getting difficult, unless you really pick your spots well. The first spot I picked was a bad choice. A combination of unhelpful wind direction and poor flow meant that it was a struggle to inch the float through. After two grayling and a trout, I upped sticks.

The last time I fished the place I moved to, I had a netful of good dace with a bonus chub as well as the obligatory grayling and trout. This time was harder work, but I did manage eight grayling, three trout and a dace. My usual involuntary chub repellent also failed me again.
411508550.jpg

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well nice day (apart from the rain ) down at my small pool this time i got pictures ( only from the phone) and only the ones worthy of mention 2 nice Tench there were 3 others but tidlers by comparison Bream few nice one Crucian only one today normally more than that plus a load of smaller stuff i did not bother photographing .

Oh and brought myself a new rod as well first outing for that a "Carbolino Maxim Power waggler" 13 or 14 foot impressed ..

PG ..

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
After a week on the home front (my Mum's on the Wirral), Yosemite Sam finally told me "you've reached your destination, ya no good bushwhacking varmint". Unbelievable how sweet those words were.

This morning, car packed, to the Commie I go - first item packed was the I-pod. I just wanted to be left alone to catch some fish. Much as I love me Mum, a week there accompanied by putting her house on the market in order to downsize removed the tag of holiday. A change is as good as a rest? Cardiac arrest, maybe.

Arriving, rocked up to a swim I'd had an eye on a wee while back, on the end of an island. As well as 13m of pole to reach it, I also fancied something a bit different and also set up a Drennan Tench float, PXR 4000 with 8lb main to a 14 to 6lb bottom. This was for a bag of prawns, in the first instance.

Started on the pole with a musical accompaniment of some serious Motown toons, The Temptations, Martha Reeves, Edwin Starr, that kinda thing.

Potted in the usual mix of chilli hemp, 4mm spam and 1mm micro pellets. Five minutes in with my mind wandering, I missed the first bite. Not happy, my mistake. Growl. Back out with a 6mm spam cube and made no mistake after another ten minutes, a tiny common around a pound and a half. The start of a run of commons, mirrors and F1's, nine on the bounce from around 1 to 4lbs.

Coffee and a change of tactics, baits. Out came the rod and prawn cast past the island and reeled back to the edge. The decent sized prawn didn't attract too much (ie: any) attention whilst my coffee did. Just as I finished the first cup, it went. Struck into what felt fairly solid as it tried to escape back behind the island. I steered it back out into open water and, eventually, a nice looking mirror of maybe 5 and a bit slid into the net. Back out, more coffee, and an F1 around 2lbs nailed the prawn.

Coffee done. Back on the pole and into the second hour. Spam again. A couple of skimmers in quick succession, both around the half pound mark. Then the carp returned, three more between 1 and 3lbs. I potted in a whole cup of hemp and a few cubes of spam and this seemed to kick some life into it. After one more carp around a pound, a succession of skimmers and roach turned up. The skimmers from around 4oz to a pound or so and the roach from 4oz to about 10oz. Nothing giant but all looked mint condition.

Hour three and the fun really started. The first carp was the biggest of the day, circa 9lbs and kicked up a right old fuss, a real battle from a real old warrior which looked like it had had a real hard paper round. Proper toughie.

The day was going exactly to plan, a few fish and nobody (especially predatory estate agents) bothering me. After a handful more roach, skimmers and a solitary perch around 4oz on the spam, the float dipped to kick off a fight which felt a bit unusual, didn't think it was a carp as it didn't go charging off but corkscrewed down to the bottom, as it felt to me.

It turned out to a bream around 3lbs. Fun. Washing my hands from a bottle of sparkling water, back out and a few small carp were waiting. I tried prawn on the pole, had a couple of carp on it but nothing out of the ordinary so back on the spam.

Into the fourth hour and I regret to say the barbel were conspicuous via their absence today. No tench either, or any of the stillwater chub that lurk beneath.

Three more carp soon followed, all around the 2lbs mark, with a sprinkling of skimmers and the very odd roach. I also managed to bump something which felt big and angry.

The last hour went the same way, another handful of small carp and one of around 6lbs which put up a good show.

I'd have to guess (not that it worries me) that the final bag would have been 60 - 70lbs. The day gave me what I wanted and needed, a few fish, some me-time and time left to get home and fill the washing machine with a week's washing. Deep joy. I could feel a fish and chip supper coming on.....:)

Take care, all.

neil1970

Reaction score
Really nice day today - my wife and two girls met me by the river (Simons peg from yesterday)

She caught her first ever fish, a chub, followed by two perch.

The girls had two perch each and I had my usual quota :D