Thanks Thanks:  507
Likes Likes:  71,082
Page 1106 of 1362 FirstFirst ... 10660610061056109611041105110611071108111611561206 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,060 of 13616
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get on?

I fished Tuesday morning after Tench but was plagued by small Perch, I was using whole mussels as bait and they were on it like piranha's almost as soon as it hit bottom whittling the bait down till one could get what was left and a size 8 into its greedy gob. Did manage a few Tench this was about the best of them.

On to today, no mussels just meat and hemp but as happened on Tuesday the Perch were a pain, managed to hook one Tench which managed to throw the hook after 20/30 seconds.

The day wasnt helped by some blokes putting in a new stage using sledge hammers and some idiot that thought it was ok to cast almost into my swim from the other side of the lake so packed up early, it had been a lovely morning up till then.

•The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

How did you get on?-img_0672.jpg

Well....my first attempt at posting a picture certainly needs some work ! No idea why its done that.

The Big Feller fancied a go for a cat this afternoon so we barrelled off to Pondwood but nearly did a prompt about face as the place was absolutely rammed. It was proper heaving with tracksuits and leg tattoos...really not what we had in mind at all. Anyway....we chatted to a bloke who'd been there since 0630 [ for 2 small cats] who said he was off in an hour so I persuaded Grumpy to wait for him while I went round the corner into pretty well the only swim left on the lake. That way we'd have one corner stitched up and nobody could drop in between us. Chunk of mackerel on a size 4 Eagle Claw freelined down the edge and 2nd chuck I'm away. The usual tug of war under the bank ensued and at one point Captain Cat had me hooked up on a root but on 45lb Quicksilver I'm fairly confident about giving them some stick so I slackened off for 30 seconds then clamped down and heaved him out. By no means a big cat but at 12 and a half pound I was more than happy.

About 40 minutes later after I'd told Grumpy where to put his bait [ he was too far along and too far out] he's away too with an almost identically sized fish....his being 3 oz heavier. We then suffered a number of frustrating twitches and pulls for the rest of the afternoon, none of which materialised into a proper run. Regulars there reckon its small cats playing with the bait.....could be I suppose but given even a 10 pounder has a mouth like a bucket I'm not convinced. Anyway...we packed with a fish apiece and saw no other cats caught while we were there.

Not somewhere I want to fish very often but its fairly local, its a bit different, they pull like hell and are magnificent looking things so its worth the odd trip.

I know there's no other anglers visible but you cant fish the opposite bank. Every other swim to my left and right was occupied.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 30-08-2018 at 20:31.

I’ve not devoted as much time to fishing in one day for nearly a year, didn’t do me much good though. Started early morning lure fishing a new lake (lac de Miel= Lake of Honey!) in hope of a large mouth bass, I’ve caught small mouth before in the States but any largemouth would be a PB. However 2 hours wandering round fishing to any structure I could see produced nothing, no takes no follows, nothing, zilch, rien. I was also hoping to spot some carp or tench to mark down as future targets, still a nice lake visually, and I’ll certainly keep trying for that Billy Bigmouth. This afternoon once I finished filling cracks ( ooer, Missus!). I made a minnow trap from a cut down plastic water bottle ( the bottle was plastic not the water) and very successful it was so spent the evening on the river, casting float fished minnows into likely spots hoping for chub, perch, trout. Guess what .... nothing, zilch, rien. Oh well made a change from my daily 5lb bream from the bottom of the garden ( there are worse problems to have)

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    How did you get on?-img_0672.jpg

Well....my first attempt at posting a picture certainly needs some work ! No idea why its done that.

The Big Feller fancied a go for a cat this afternoon so we barrelled off to Pondwood but nearly did a prompt about face as the place was absolutely rammed. It was proper heaving with tracksuits and leg tattoos...really not what we had in mind at all. Anyway....we chatted to a bloke who'd been there since 0630 [ for 2 small cats] who said he was off in an hour so I persuaded Grumpy to wait for him while I went round the corner into pretty well the only swim left on the lake. That way we'd have one corner stitched up and nobody could drop in between us. Chunk of mackerel on a size 4 Eagle Claw freelined down the edge and 2nd chuck I'm away. The usual tug of war under the bank ensued and at one point Captain Cat had me hooked up on a root but on 45lb Quicksilver I'm fairly confident about giving them some stick so I slackened off for 30 seconds then clamped down and heaved him out. By no means a big cat but at 12 and a half pound I was more than happy.

About 40 minutes later after I'd told Grumpy where to put his bait [ he was too far along and too far out] he's away too with an almost identically sized fish....his being 3 oz heavier. We then suffered a number of frustrating twitches and pulls for the rest of the afternoon, none of which materialised into a proper run. Regulars there reckon its small cats playing with the bait.....could be I suppose but given even a 10 pounder has a mouth like a bucket I'm not convinced. Anyway...we packed with a fish apiece and saw no other cats caught while we were there.

Not somewhere I want to fish very often but its fairly local, its a bit different, they pull like hell and are magnificent looking things so its worth the odd trip.

I know there's no other anglers visible but you cant fish the opposite bank. Every other swim to my left and right was occupied.
    Skippy, that's the corner I mentioned to you when we had our chat. Due to people viewing the house, this week seems a bit of a right off, so I aim to get down there next week now (kids are back at school so it should be quieter).

Interested in your set up though, is that Quicksilver the hooklink or mainline?

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
    Skippy, that's the corner I mentioned to you when we had our chat. Due to people viewing the house, this week seems a bit of a right off, so I aim to get down there next week now (kids are back at school so it should be quieter).

Interested in your set up though, is that Quicksilver the hooklink or mainline?
    Steve

Yes...forgot about the schools still being off. Should quieten down a bit when the little darlings go back. Reliable corner that one...as indeed are all the corners at PW. You couldn't have got a toddler on the island today...absolutely rammed.

Quicksilver trace to 12lb Sufix Synergy mono mainline. Freeline...no weight at all and fished quite slack. If they've a mind to have it it just roars off. By no means the only way to catch down there but it seems to work and doesn't require much thought. Right up my street at the moment as I'm not terribly well.

Skippy
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 30-08-2018 at 21:44.

Went to the lower river in search of roach. I found them, along with perch, dace, chublets and some of the biggest bleak I've ever seen. The biggest fish I could muster were roach and dace of the only just needing the net variety. I quite enjoyed myself, but the reality is that I could have done just as well, bar the roach, by travelling five miles rather than twenty five. I suppose that a change is as good as a rest and it was nice to not get minnowed to death. I did manage one though, I never seem to avoid them completely.

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

I have finally worked out how to upload pictures! Such a simple process, thank you FM!
    Whom ever helped make this site what it is today deserves a pat on the back!
    (I cant pat you on the back but here is a beautiful Gloucestershire sun set to sooth your soul) How did you get on?-20180623_214909.jpg

I fished a few places in the Stroud/nailsworth area recently. I lure fished for wild brownies in the Frome, Had a stab at Stratford parks "lake" and fished the gin clear "Stroudwater navigation" (canal) there.

The canal (although jaw dropping beautiful) was the least productive and also the one I spent the least time on (correlation maybe lol?). It is home to huge shoals of pristine chub but you essentially end up chasing the shoal up and down the cut because every time you catch one the shoal scarpers! Had chub to half a pound
    The canal:How did you get on?-20180825_195227.jpg

I couldn't get any pictures on wild brownie day as it was peeing down all day but caught plenty of small browns and a bonus rainbow. Turns out a club up the road from Stroud stocks rainbows every year! Used a sh*t ton of different lures and found that spinners (blue ondex, TY tigger) and spoons caught lots of fish around the 5/6 oz mark but the jerk baits, soft plastics, crank baits and the like scored much larger fish on average. I tried a method I read about some time ago, A bobber with two feet of line to a dry fly. I was very skeptical but stuck at it for ten mins moving back through a few swims I had already covered with a little "wee"crayfish crank bait and was rewarded with A TWO POUND RAINBOW! I wish I'd risked my wifes phone to get a photo!

Last but most certainly not least, my couple of hours at Stratford park lake. I wish I took a photo of the water but these things slip my mind! It was at least a meter below its usual water level and you could just see the silt 6 inches below the surface all the way across.. It was not looking good but I had paid my money so I thought I would at least try and wet a line. As I was walking to my "peg" I found the fattest lobworm I have ever seen.. One of the gods was smiling down on me. I put it on a size 16 micro barbed with an SSG to pin the line down and waited... and waited... I eventually got bored and started feeding the birds when suddenly the baitrunner started clicking away slowly.. I dropped all the bread, jumped up and set the hook........
    How did you get on?-20180826_150647-0-.jpg
    My first eel!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-img_20180423_163947.jpg 

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Dont know how that last photo snuck on there

Blog Entries

Were you feeling a bit peckish???

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

it was a picture of a bream i found in the winter, wonder what killed it