How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Poor day yesterday-my weather radar was telling me Rudd and I should have followed it and gone to the same canal I fished last week as there are some good Rudd there. However, I went to another river for a change but it has no Rudd. It has been a declining river for some years and I go back every now and then to see if it has turned, it has not. Plenty of nibbles but it must be all small stuff. Finished on another river for an hour but full of chub-lets and gave up pretty quickly. All I had all day was one small roach which I lost. Should have gone to the canal and chased some Rudd. Used some yeasty paste and hemp but apart from the nibbles no fish.
Low point of the day was walking up a steep bank only to discover my reel had fallen off and all the line was wrapped around some thistles, after taking half an hour to unravel it I found my end tackle had wrapped itself around a electric fence.
High point of the day was the sylph like goddess sitting opposite me on the bus on the way home. Small mercies.
I did not take a photo, getting arrested would have just about summed up my day.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Definitely the right thing around the photo........As for the rest, I suppose one has to put such days down to experience and hope they are not repeated too often !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Definitely the right thing around the photo........As for the rest, I suppose one has to put such days down to experience and hope they are not repeated too often !
She will remain indelibly embedded in my memory for ever more-I am sure it will be repeated often Tee Cee.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was up bright and early, about 10'ish, brilliant sunshine and stalked my way through the boxes to the rear living room - no fish, but that's another room almost finished and only about another 50 boxes to sort through. Should be back on the rivers in another month, or so......................

theartist

Reaction score
Had another camping trip up the Severn. the river was low and clear and the sun overhead meant many I talked to had blanked. I managed a few nice chub trotting pellet including one of around three pound that got attacked by a pike so go figure how big that was.

Next day was off to the Teme where a couple of dozen grayling succumbed to probably the lightest float I have used there. Some dace, salmon parr, trout and a couple of lumpy chub made for a good days fishing. A pair of kingfishers flying either side of me was pretty impressive too.

On the way home I stopped off on the Arrow at Redditch and had a mix of perch, trout and dace but didn't stay long as there was a few undesirables around and was worried about the car so all in all a mixed bag over three days.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the weather forecast looking a little on the wet side for the next couple of days I thought i'd slot in a couple of hours trotting after tea time today. I'm glad I did as it was quite a busy session ! There was a pain of a downstreem wind that made it difficult to keep my float going down the line I wanted it to but I managed ok. During the session I counted up to eleven barbel and then lost count (again), must have had another four or five. I had a few small chub, a decent chub and a decent trout also. I lost count of the number of times I had to cut my line off above my float and re-tackle due to my line being so badly grazed/frayed. When it gets grazed like that it's daft to carry on as it's only gonn'a snapat some point when playing a fish and knowing my luck it would be a clonker lol.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
My son Stuart and I thought we would attempt to catch a few Tench for a change from the usual Barbel, Chub and Carp and decided to try a club lake not far from Whipsnade Zoo which has been producing some nice bags of Tench recently.

There are two lakes on the fishery which used to be a Trout fishery before the club converted one of the two lakes into a coarse lake; keeping the other as a Trout lake for the fluff chuckers amongst our members.

This fishery has been producing some nice catches of Tench recently plus some good sized Roach and Rudd and a few Pike it also holds 21 large Grass Carp between 18 to 23lb-plus although catching one of these Grassies is a rare event; although they can be seen lolling about just below the surface. One bonus is that it holds no Snotties so there are fewer bottom feeders to compete with the Tench.

We arrived at the fishery at around 2pm just in time to see the only other fisherman there walking back to his car. He told us that he had caught 4 Tench of around 4lb-plus and that the fishery contained a lot of Signal Crayfish which were becoming a real pain in the neck if you fed too much.

I was fishing a waggler in the gap between two islands using sweetcorn as bait.

We sat there all afternoon watching Kingfishers flitting up and down and catching lots of quality Roach of around 5 to 6oz and beautifully coloured Rudd up to over a pound all on sweetcorn but we had no Tench (or Crayfish).

At around 8pm just as the light had started to fall and the air smelt of Tench I heard Stuart curse loudly as his line had formed a tangled mess around his reel which he couldn't sort out so we decided to call it a day and leave the Tench for another day LOL. But we had both had a great afternoon catching some good Roach and some real quality sized Rudd for a change.

Catching quality Rudd like this was a real treat for me.

The Roach were not as large as the Rudd but still quite a nice size.

Keith

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
That's a lovely reel tigger I'm jealous.
You got it just in time if you read the attached.
Chris Lythe Centre Pins
Home
Introduction
Making your new centre pin
About Chris Lythe
Centre pin reels
Customer comments
Using a centre pin
Enquiries
Fishing gallery
Fishing links

Hand crafted, custom built centre pin fishing reels
Telephone (+44) 01423 867267 | Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm
Barbel Master centre pin reel
Barbel Master centrepin fishing reel
View full size image

Introduction to Chris Lythe Centre Pins
14th July 2015
Dear angler,

Due to an ever bulging order book and on-going problems with my back, which is limiting the number of hours I can work each day, I have decided to stop taking orders for my centre pin reels.

Customers with reels on order will be contacted as normal on completion of their reel or whilst in production if I have questions.

My intention, once my current order book is cleared, is to continue to make high quality, hand crafted centre pin reels - but at my discretion. With this in mind I have some very special variations on the drawing board of which I will reveal more as they take shape.

May I take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support and understanding.

Tight lines,
Chris

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Seth49...I speak to Chris quite often and he told me about his plan to have a change.
He is going to complete all the orders on his book which will take a couple or more years and then he's going to start making a batch of reels first before advertising them on his web page, then it will be first come first served so to speak.
Chris is a perfectionist and his reels are proof of this, they're not only lovely to look at but they're a dream to use.
I did post a pic of the Spitfire the other day but removed it because I know Peter doesn't like his thread going off track but since this post is here now i'll put a couple of pic's of the reel.....

Last edited:
B

binka

Had an absolute cracker on the river today in terms of the silvers.

I was picked up by a mate at 6.15am and we were on the river around half an hour later and a new stretch to both of us which was a bit of a hunch that eventually, after some work, came good.

I took a downstream swim where I trotted double red maggot in an eight foot gulley right off of the rod tip in some extremely pacey water and my mate was two swims upstream where he sat it out on his usual two rod barbel approach which, unfortunately, resulted in a blank for him last weekend.

I was quite surprised by the depth and given the pace of the river in that particular area a bit daunted too as I wondered how on earth I would get loose fed maggots down to feeding depth within a practical trotting distance and I almost didn’t even bother setting up the light stick float rig but I did anyway, opting for an 8 x no.4 Dave Harrell dome top wire stem shotted throughout with no.4’s instead of the usual lighter droppers over the last eighteen inches but this rod stayed on the bank in preference to a 4grm Avon on the heavy float rod with 3 SSG bulk shot around eighteen inches from the hook and a BB dropper halfway between.

The fish certainly weren’t there in any great numbers to begin with and a few trots through produced no response until the regular feed began to make an impression but bizarrely for this type of swim a change to the lighter stick float rod made an immediate impression with a “chub a chuck” succumbing to the lighter, finer presentation.

I should actually say “chublet” instead of chub.

After some faffing with depth and feeding as far upriver as I could throw I found that the fish were taking around six rod lengths from where the feed was going in and around eighteen inches off bottom at that but once I had got it right it was several hours of silver bliss as even the stamp size of 2oz put a bend in the rod extending into the middle section, such was the pace of the flow.

Barring a handful of other species which included a couple of perch, a dace and a handful of roach I must have had three hundred chublets and along with a bonus chub of around two pounds which really gave me value for money I think I easily had 40lb of silvers off the river.

I did hit one fish which I suspect was a very big chub except there was no head shaking at all, just a casual kite into midstream where we then played a game of deadlock as I was maxed out and the fish was just pumping and holding its own in the strong flow before I got impatient and put a bit too much on it which resulted in my size 16 pulling out.

As for my mate?

Well, he’d had a slow morning and had invested heavily in feeding via a bait dropper for the very first time and he ended up with seven barbel to 9lbs and his best day on the river this season which I was absolutely made up about as I sensed he was becoming a bit dejected after his blank last week and a lean period prior to it.

Fish galore, an altercation with paddlers reported elsewhere on the forum, a river rising rapidly towards the end of the session and the icing on the cake after I had packed up and made my way to my mates swim and produced two cans of San Miguel which were an impulse addition to my bag earlier that morning, to say the look of disbelief on his face was similar to that of a parched man in a desert is an understatement.

It’s never dull, is it? :w

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another short sharp session on the river. Wanting to watch the football meant I wouldn't usually bother on a Saturday. I also tend to leave the weekends for those that only get to fish weekends. However, after the rain in the previous day or two, the river had shot up and was fining down nicely. I had to give it a go, even only a short one.

Things didn't look good to start with. The first bite took half an hour of steady feeding to materialise. Predictably enough, it was a daft trout. In a heavy flow, it felt like a monster. It turned out to be no more than a pound. Another quickly followed before the kamikaze trout gave way to tiny little plucks. Occasionally, the tiny little plucks turned into stonking great dace up to the 10/12oz mark. Decent dace scrapped like tigers and felt huge in the strong flow.

During a quiet period towards the end of the session, my chub repellent failed me again. It wasn't enormous, but it wasn't too bad. I had to play it fairly gingerly on relatively light gear. I didn't have my scales with me, but I'd give it a very cautious 3lb. I suspect it would have weighed a fair bit more. Unlike the early season chub I've had, this one was in tip top condition.

411573646.jpg

The final tally of six chunky dace, three trout and a chub made for a good couple of hours.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't think that's likely to happen since the member who starts them is banned.

no you started it

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

and Mr Brailsford
just like you started this fresh round of it

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
no you started it

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

and Mr Brailsford
just like you started this fresh round of it