How did you get on?

wes79

Reaction score
four hours on the Dorset Stour in heavy rain for diddly squat.

I very nearly did myself, been baiting a swim up for 3 day's where I had previously had a visual of my quarry, came to fish it last night and it took me 4 hours after losing what felt like 3 very strong fish, all in a row (?), set up twice after snagged within minutes of the last cast, tried multiple rig changes/method tweaks, nearly stood on my rod and lost my footing and did one of those sharp-bolt of adrenaline dances you do trying not to do a back flip into the water, I even sharpened the hook before a cast when it was needed, offered more free bees (to little or to much?) and a ever increasing will to just say give up and go home to the warm and dry whispering in my ear....was really craving a coffee with a few hobnobs.....ended up ditching the weight and free lining a pellet on a band and feeling for the bite, eventually in extra extra time managed to net one Barbel of around 5lb, very nearly blanked, lots of movement in the water and knew there was a few fish in the swim, yet no Chub....maybe other fish there but would they play ball? :confused: nearly ended up swimming in the river again...not good but wouldn't be the first time, hard fishing for one fish. pleased with my fish but very relieved to be back home after that, physically and mentally drained after that session, maybe my expectations were to high.....

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
My local lake, 50 acres, is full of small rudd and roach amongst other things. I am sure there must be some big rudd but have never caught one or heard of one being caught. Sometimes the rises on the surface look as though they are bigger fish but this can be deceptive.
Thought I would attempt a bigger rudd today with long range waggler, maggot and sweetcorn. I did a hell of a lot of walking a lot of casting and all I could get were small roach and a few small rudd, nothing bigger than 8oz. All very frustrating, think I'll go back to the river next week.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
robertroach......Would not bread flake be an alternative.... just a thought.

50 acres !! Maybe a smaller lake ? Even a very good head of big rudd would be hard to find in such enormous water - as I know to my cost..................say no more.

Good luck on the river, though !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pretty much the same for me yesterday, some Roach and Rudd, nothing exceptional. Hoping for some big roach. However it was a very over grown small stream I sometimes fish that has gone into decline. The EA have still not dredge this which they normally do by this time of year (government cuts again maybe). It used to be spot on for some big roach, 1lb+ fish when the conditions were good and they should have been yesterday. Although the expected over cast turned into bright sunshine but I still expected a bit more than I got. Its been sometime since the big roach appeared in this water but a angler who stopped by said he hooked a carp in it last week and lost it on his pole. No sign of carp yesterday.
Still running with the yeasty maggots but they did not work as well yesterday however, whether that's down to this declining water similar as my last venue, maybe, maybe not. Also tried some brown bread but just nothing much on that either.
Next time, a better water, still could do with some bigger fish. However, a nice day, a bit of a challenge and having a float to watch for a few hours always a nice thing.
No small mercies this times, no guest appearance from the sylph like goddess, bus was full of fat old Ladies.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
Tee Cee, its Sherborne Lake, Dorset. Everyone seems to be struggling to catch decent fish there in any quantity at the moment. With 50 acres its a job locating the fish. To be honest, I think bread would be a good bait but I don't feel I was ever in with a chance, the small roach would ravish the bait straightaway. If you had a dinghy and a fish finder you might be able to find some of the bream that are definitely there. Only consolation is that its a beautiful lake in a perfect parkland setting.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Back to the local pools for a short session which was liable to get shorter if the predicted downpours materialised. Usual swim was quiet and the Roach I caught were only around the 2-3 oz mark. Moved to the other side and although the sizes improved the bites were finicky and apart from bread they weren't having anything else (meat, corn or pellet). The demise of West Wales Angling has restricted bait options at the moment. Had a bonus Tench that didn't quite go 3lb and half a dozen Roach that required the net the best just about half a pound.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mick, nice to see you are now managing to avoid the snotties - that post deserved a well earned 'like'.........................;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice afternoon with Neil1970 down the Colne locally. Stick float and maggot.
Loads of perch, one roach and numerous dace .

Later on Neil called me from downstream.
" lo about 3lb it led him a merry dance on light gear...

B

binka

I’m pleased to say that my run of good form has continued from last weekend with a recent session on stillwater, having spent the previous few sessions stood in the river I was ready for a bit of a change and a sit down.

Having agreed a venue earlier in the week with my mate, I picked him up at just gone six this morning after a lighter than usual Friday night on the vino due to being out early and we were beside a large, twenty acre plus lake by around six forty five and the only consideration I had was getting on the end of that warm southerly that was blowing up from the continent and boy did it pay dividends!

I set up a heavy bodied waggler rig comprising of a bulk of 3SSG around the float, a BB at half depth and it took a string of 8 x no.4 just dragging bottom to combat the tow along with a single no.4 halfway between the bulk droppers and the hook which was set around twelve inches over depth.

Groundbait was mixed, worms chopped and I’ve now started adding the groundbait to my chopped worm instead of the other way around as I find the chopped worm doesn’t tend to get lost in the entire mix so much and I can gauge it better just how much is actually going in, quite easy too as I use a round pint bait tub for chopping which offers plenty of room to add the groundbait…

I baited a size 12 Kamasan B911 barbless in the usual way by nipping off a dendrobena just below the saddle and working the broken end around the bend and up the shank of the hook so that even a size 12 was well hidden and sitting nicely into the worm…

That was it really as far as the set-up and preparation went.

All quite straight forward and it was now time to cast into that head on, warm southerly and bait up with three tangerine size balls of feed before sitting it out for the first bite which is always a bit of a test of faith for me and it probably took around forty five minutes for that to develop but I never looked back from then on in as some quality roach showed in numbers.

I was more than happy catching these but dare I say they then got bigger as the swim began to build…

It soon dawned on me that I was enjoying some real red letter roach fishing here and by midday I had taken around sixteen fish of a pound and a half plus with plenty in the half a pound to a pound bracket along with one very special fish taken at around nine o’clock which gave me a new pb roach at 2lb 3ozs…

To say I was a happy chappy is an understatement!

The roach were still feeding albeit not so aggressively by early afternoon and this is when I decided to switch to a dibber rig right under the rod tip, still with the large piece of worm on a size 12 and my hunch, namely that the perch would be using the steep marginal drop off as a patrol route, came good and I enjoyed an extraordinary afternoon taking good size perch right at my rod tip with one nudging two pounds, several around a pound and three quarters and I lost count of the half a pound to a pound and a half size fish that I took, I’m guessing around thirty or so in all…

Quite a remarkable session and certainly one that will go down as a red letter day!

As per last weekend that’s me about fished out again now, I can cope with my temporary situation of just one session a week if they’re like this :w

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Great post Binka, what a great day and some lovely fish.

Today I visited a club pond. I had some 'normal people'stuff to do this morning but managed to pop in the tackle shop where it was my intention to buy a few sundries and a pellet banding tool.

As mentioned in previous reports I am attempting to use pellets more and think this will help.

However after gathering my intended items my my eye was caught by rod display (as usual).

Mmm, I'll just have waggle of this. What harm can come of it? Ten minutes later my wallet was lighter to the tune of one Drennan ultralight 14 footer plus sundries.

This was when I decided to try the small pond stuffed full of small fish. Well you have to try out new tackle dont you. Back home new rod out and plastic off the cork into the rod bag. Tackle bag grabbed along with some corn, pellets and maggot.

Arrived at the pond and set up a small insert waggler to a size 16 on my new rod and plumbed up.
Fished three swims one left and right to the edges of some lilypads hoping for a crucian or two, maybe a small tench and one straight out.

Unfortunately new tackle curse blighted the day, only managed a few small roach before the thunder storms rolled in and I decided that waving 14 feet of carbon while holding a carbon net handle under a wonderfully conducting brolly spike was probably a bad idea.

Still on a bright note, I'm glad I picked up the new rod. It feels fantastic and I can't wait to get it on the river.

lambert1

Reaction score
First session for three weeks due to various reasons. I deliberately chose a swim where I was not likely to meet anyone and I could be alone and lose myself in the fishing. Could literally feel myself unwinding and feeling a great deal more contented. Had a wonderful few hours with a pint of maggots and some maggot feeders. All the captures were small, but the bites were positive and it turned into a lively session with the tip pinging away most of the day. 10 Dace, 5 Roach, 4 Gudgeon and 3 Chublets. The river was carrying more water again and things look much better for the rain. I had a lot of sucked maggots and there were a fair few who got away, but it was great fun. Batteries well and truly recharged and thoughts of pursuing some larger quarry next session. Fishing as therapy certainly works for me:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well after a dissapointing purchase (seperate post) this morning finished the Saturday chores ie the shopping , Winding them up at the Golf club got home headed for my local cut a few hundred yards away .

Deciede to use a new rod i got a couple of weeks ago a 6 foot NGT spinning rod but used it on float 4lb line to a 2.5g puddle chucker with a 14 hook 3 white maggots , I'll be blowed the Rudd were havin it today ok pulled out a dozen rudd in the 12oz to 1lb range a couple of the normal pesky perch and a couple of skimmers then the thunder started , .

Now i have had enough ellectric shocks to last forever so thouhgt better of all the carbon and metal in my hands packed up and ,,,,,,, :wh got the timing so completely WRONG i had been under cover of overhanging trees not too bad the odd spot but nothing much picks everything up heads back to the car in the open and whoosh doown it came soaked to the skin drowned rat not a single stitch of dry to be found Maggot not appy :mad: .

But one the bright siide the little NGT rod is a bute for the price bang on ideal on the cut with a puddle chucker on ..

Stay dry folks .....

PG ..

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A sudden and most un-Skippy like urge to go a-barbelling came over me Friday night. Big Dave had called to say the beat was empty and after queing up last trip I foolishly grabbed my gear and braved the M25 ofa Friday night for barely 3 hours bankside.

The motorway bit went OK.......the fishing didn't. Bit of water on but no colour oddly so it was neither nowt nor summat. I had one modest chub and that was it. Barny the owl rocked up and that really was the highlight.

Walking back to the car my rod sleeve suddenly started misbehaving.....like some invisible hobgoblin was trying to pull it from my hand. Very odd. Further investigations revealed an empty reel and line stretching back from whence I came. Bollox ! I'd obviously snagged my line on something and spooled me reel walking back to Old Faithful. Now I could have just cut said line and hoyed off but that would have been irresponsible and downright bloody dangerous so there I was,at midnight, winding line round my hand as I walked back down the lane,through the gate,through the wood and virtually back to where I'd been fishing.

I got it all....but then couldn't get it off me hand so there I was with Big Dave trying to cut the line off without cutting me in darkest Surrey with people peering from the house opposite no doubt wondering what these two odd men were getting up to.

Happy days ! Next time I feel a spontaneous urge I think I'll go lie down till it passes !

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps we should organise a coach and get down to Binka's place, PDQ !

He's obviously missing out on the really big fish.............

flightliner

Reaction score
Cheers Mick and apologies for having to cut short on the phone twice during the session, hope the seaside was nice :)
No apologise needed Steve, needs must.
Yes, my seaside visit was really good, I ended up with a four lb cod.
SORRY , I'll rewrite that last bit. I ended up with a £4 cod, the chips wer'nt bad either.:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was in two minds whether to award Skippy a Crabtree bad angling award..
However on reflection, I refrained, wondering how many other anglers would have bothered at midnight?
Nice one mate...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
PITA but a no brainer really. 10lb mono stretched as tight as a cheeswire across a path for 200 yards ? I dread to think what might have happened and I didn't want that on me conscience.

Bloody odd sensation though. I thought me rod sleeve was possessed !