How did you get on?

slaphead

Reaction score
One small chub today, no photo cos I always forget something. :eek:mg:

Today it was me camera. :)

neil1970

Reaction score
I managed to get a **** photo and the head balliff is now aware.

I think I might start fishing with cheesewire and a 30lb lead :D

I forgot, I did actually land something today:eek:
An old (and heavy) crayfish trap, completely broken,with a crayfish living in it.

It must have liked its home as it didn't bother to move while the thing was being awkwardly hauled out of the river:w

barbelboi

Reaction score
What the hell are they doing there ? !

Fishing of course uncle 'S', at least going though the motions - the river was still very clear - fished from 9-3.30pm (nice to meet Neil for the first time and had a good old chin wag with Simon) two chub and for the Piece de résistance - a 10mm halibut pellet with a halibut/paste 'overcoat' - yep you've guessed it, the rod wrapped around for a ******* jack..:D

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying some new venues for a while and decided that Sunday afternoon was the time to go for it. I'd been told about a fishery in Mawdesley (West Lancs) called Bluestone which by all accounts comprises a couple of ponds in somebodies back garden! I say by all accounts, because having driven 40 mins to get to within 400 yards the bl**dy road was closed off for an Iron Man cycling event... grrrrr. Charity farm was another on my list & not too far from there - I tried 5 different routes, each one thwarted by the same race before deciding that I'd wasted enough time. So I just headed back to my usual where, to be fair, I had an excellent if somewhat shorter than anticipated session. No monsters but plenty of roach, rudd, skimmer & common carp on meat & corn so I ended up both frustrated and happy :w

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
During the week had a stay at Bridge Inn Lenwade. Good value accommodation (£30 per night, good food) even though it is a bit shabby by "modern" (=family/wife) standards (eg no ensuite!).

Adjacent Wensum had lots of good dace, chublets, roach and perch to 8oz or so trotting (mate had over 10Ib in a few hours wading out to fish a narrow run), but much of section very shallow and weedy - infact barely fishable. Barbel are apparently long gone unfortunately (ottered) and theres certainly many fewer decent chub about than when i last fished the Wensum 25 years ago.

Managed to snare a 4Ib Bream on the main lake on site and heard of a few carp, tench and larger bream caught by those bivvied up with requisite three matching rods, bite alarms etc.

Last edited:

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Had a lovely couple of hours spinning on the Chesterfield Canal last night, had seven or eight perch from half a pound up to two pounds... Even had two little jacks of about four pounds!

It was the first time I had done any spinning/lure fishing since about February and I'm definitely going to get some new spinning gear at some point soon and enjoy the next month or two with the occasional lure session!

Currently gearing up for a river session on the Idle, going after big chub and roach but hopefully a few barbel should be about!:p

neil1970

Reaction score
Fast one today, 11.30 -1.30.

I fished single caster on the hook over hemp and caster.

The result was a single perch.:eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Glad to see the swim's picking up Neil..........;)

PS Probably brave the heat on Friday for a few hours - not sure which stretch yet..

neil1970

Reaction score
Yes Jerry, a bit better today, still very uncomfortable under that sun though.

I'm taking my daughter to a backwater tomorrow morning (school hols are here!) & might give the upper stretches a go on Friday for an hour or so.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I should have gone yesterday evening. But I had forgotten about Little Wife's choral engagement and that put paid to my plans. Shall be off tomorrow though. I managed to get a couple of hours walking the river yesterday and have found another new place to try. :)

neil1970

Reaction score
I took my daughter on her third fishing trip.

Maggot feeder on a slow flowing backwater.

After a few chucks, job done -

She also caught her first bream, which was tiny.
She wasn't happy with the state of her hand after :D

We walked back along the Colne and indulged in some 'impatient roving' - 2 chucks in every swim, then move on after 10 minutes max!
I managed a roach on the way home.:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went yesterday afternoon, well, I had to go really as the wife was entertaining a group of friends for proper afternoon tea and I didn't fancy 'waiter' duties, and although hot and really oppressive, it got me out of the house....
Normally an 'early bird' fisherman I didn't really know what to expect, or indeed what swim I might be able to fish (that afforded some shade) but in my head I had at least worked out which side of the lake I could head for. Fortunately one very nice,sheltered swim was available (not to mention the whole lake!) and I took my time setting up at around 2pm.

Rarely have I known such hot air temperatures, and the weird feeling that something was trying to push down, to drive me into the ground almost, and this with a gentle breeze blowing across the water.......In fact I did wonder if I'd done the right thing in coming as my mind drifted back to a cool house with plates of finger sarnies and dainty cakes...

I cast such weak thought from my head and persevered........

First cast saw my rod arch over as a silly carp headed North which made a mess of the end tackle, but by 3pm I'd taken a couple of 3/4lb roach on flake so things looked promising, and so it turned out, as I caught steadily til around 7.30 and eventually amassed a bag of 20+ fish to a lb or so, along with half a dozen smallish tench.
Most fell to bottom fished flake or crust on a 14 x 2lb bottom coupled with a 14' rod with an ancient Allcocks 'Flick-em' attached.
Unfortunately the desired crucians didn't show, but I was happy with my catch and I headed home somewhat pleased that I'd made the effort.
Driving along my mind turned to what might be leftover from the afternoons entertaining at home and I had visions of covered plates of smoked salmon sarnies with a selection of cakes/scones awaiting me......a perfect end to a very good day, sort of thing..Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed as the 'leftovers' were just that, leftover! Curled up egg and cress sarnies, complete with a now crumbling Vienesse Whirl, didn't do it for me so I settled on a cheese and tomato creation of my own which went down well with decent cup of coffee...

Still a wonderful day though.......

ps Along the bank from me a Grandad and grandson combo (in teacher and pupil mode) managed a few fish and it was good to see quality fishing knowledge being passed from one generation to the next. Grandad had the patience of a saint but Grandson was a willing learner and between them they had an enjoyable couple of hours.
The respect shown by the Grandson was palpable and very nice to witness, although I'm sure 'boring old fart' crossed his mind once or twice as Grandad overdid the 'teaching' aspect !!

pps 'Grandad or 'Granddad'.......both are okay, I guess ??

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
First cast saw my rod arch over as a silly carp headed North which made a mess of the end tackle, but by 3pm I'd taken a couple of 3/4lb roach on flake so things looked promising, and so it turned out, as I caught steadily til around 7.30 and eventually amassed a bag of 20+ fish to a lb or so, along with half a dozen smallish tench.
Most fell to bottom fished flake or crust

Had a similar session in the heat last Sunday down in Wales. Fished from around 12.30-3.30, had one nuisance fish in the swim but never found the Tench. Started on flake and punch but struggled to connect with bites, switched to corn and finished with 30+ roach with three pushing a pound and a solitary small Perch, 4lb mainline, size 18 Kamasan "Animal" 2.5lb hooklength and the 13'0 Maver match rod that resides at the flat

nicepix

Reaction score
It was 30C+ yesterday and no cloud so I headed for a shady swim on the River Glane. This time it was a new area I'd found while walking the dog and consisted of a backwater off the main current that is 5 to 7 feet deep right under the rod tip and benefits from plenty of overhanging trees. The down side is that the far bank is the wall of a factory building stretching along the river for about 50 metres. They make porcelain and I must have been sat across from the clay mixer from the sound of it. Reminded me of the Trebor Bassets swim on the Don at Hillsborough, Sheffield.

I had a 10 ft cane Avon, Trudex 'pin and started off with red worm on a 16 under a quill float hoping to catch a couple of roach, chub or bream to use on rod number two;- a catfish rod.

Go three bites straight away and landed three lip hooked crayfish :mad: Tried shallower but nothing troubled the float and so I went through the baits; sweetcorn, micro pellet, 6mm pellet, half a fish boilie all without a bite. Saw one carp of around 3lb under the rod tip and loads of fry disturbing the surface, but that was all.

Packed up earlier than anticipated and went in search of other swims on the same river for next time.

neil1970

Reaction score
Two hours in a lovely swim* today saw my bait continually eaten by crays.

No fishing for me for at least a week now as I'm off on holiday.

Six month old Daiwa Regal Z br will be meeting its maker, and will hopefully return by the time that I have :)

*sorry for the cheesy effects:D

lambert1

Reaction score
I too had only Crayfish to show for my efforts. Two of the little sods! Thought the earlier rain would freshen things up but alas no. Turned into a lovely evening though:)