How did you get on?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I managed a few hours at the river this afternoon. The Lot has finally dropped a little and I could fish this magical little private haven for the first time in months.

1715623625867.jpg

The fish were not exactly obliging, but I scraped out a couple of little barbel.

1715623600928.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
Tench fishing dawn. Mist rising off the water at 5am..... Probably, but I didn't get up til 8.30 and waited til late afternoon to drive out to the tench pit. It's a late starter some years and this year has been cold and wet. It was looking pretty, but there was nobody else there and there was 18" of water where I'd usually put my box so I sat with water up to the top of my wellies

CC1.jpg

The hordes of small to medium tench live in the masses of soft weed that grows in the 6' margins. I plumbed around without picking up a single bit, and it looked like they'd still be out in the deep water. You can catch them on a small groundbait feeder when it's like this, and I'd brought a bomb rod, but I wanted to float fish so I settled for trying to catch one or two 2.5 rods out.

After half an hour of dripping in bait and twitching the bait around the first little tench of the year was welcome

CC2.jpg

Between 5 and 6pm, they switched on and another 15 or so of this stamp resulted

CC3.jpg

But just as quickly they stopped feeding and I couldn't tempt another for the next half hour. I decided I'd wrap up and go and watch the football. A bloke who stopped to chat said he'd fished here on Friday with a friend and neither had caught a tench, so it's clearly just starting to warm up.

Water bird life was in full swing, with mallards, moorhens and grebes busy and bird song ringing around the pit. The five young coots getting fed next to me were at the stage where, in the bright sun, their heads looked on fire, like little punks. At one point a ferocious bleating broke out behind me. It was a girl with a pet sheep on a lead. She told me the breed, but I've forgotten

CC4.jpg