Thanks Thanks:  433
Likes Likes:  64,627
Page 1280 of 1283 FirstFirst ... 28078011801230127012781279128012811282 ... LastLast
Results 12,791 to 12,800 of 12829

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Interesting hexagonal scales!

Blog Entries

Reflection of the net?

Without a shadow of a doubt!

For older viewers that bream is a blockbuster

Blog Entries

I had a first time out for near on four weeks two days ago.
    Family/ house/ garden commitments and maybe an unusuall lack of mojo all played there part in my bankside absence.
    I arrived late and didn't start fishing until 11-30 as I met an old friend and chatted for some twenty minutes before I found my place to fish.
    There was no real rush however as no other angler seemed to be catching much so, a simple waggler rig complete for a mag and wag attack I finally got underway.
    Slow at first, an odd bite, the odd tiny roach with the slow sinking bait but nothing of note and after a half hour the sun was becoming uncomfortable and to make it worse the hot concrete slab my feet were resting on was like a hot plate -- not good.
    I was becoming a little tired of my results , the constant casting was tiresome in the heat so so after putting my brolly up as protection changed my approach to placing some creed wheat mixed with hemp close into the right hand margin and with no tackle change put creed wheat on the hook and laid on long in the shallower swim.
    It wasn't long before a few carp began to pay me a visit, tight on top at first but later a few encouraging puffs of mud began to erupt on my baited area, it wouldn't take long.
    The first bite came with a bang, the rod hooped round and I was connected to a very lively common that when landed would maybe have pushed any scales to three lb or so.
    Another ten minutes later and it was looking good when I was paid a visit by another angler who stood right over my baited area - maybe eight foot above and a foot from the edge only has one result with carp so near to it ------- wheeeeeeeeee - farewell, goodbye- auvidersain, arividerchi!
    I wasn't best pleased , grrrrrrr, !
    It went very quite after , maybe a full hour then they came back and at the end I ended up with seven carp to around five lbs.
    It could have been better but matey and an earlier than expected Finnish because of the heat had me back on the road home for a cooling shower. Still had a touch of the sun however- the tip of my left ear will be skinning in a day or so lol!
    Last edited by flightliner; 16-05-2019 at 08:40.

Had a trip out Tuesday with dad after some more big gudgeon on bread, managed a couple but no bigger than last time, there was also a succession roach, crucians and even the bream and small tench were taking on the drop as I was using a light pole float with no weight other than the punched bread to cock it. It was of course deadly for the carp to 12lb 8oz which is a decent size for the match pond, they varied in condition but this 8lb mirror had great scales just a shame about the dorsal. Seemed a relaxing day on the pond, the difference a day makes.

How did you get on?-img_0452.jpg
    Last edited by theartist; 16-05-2019 at 16:57.

Just got back from a few hours on the canal today which saw a really weird day, caught loads of roach dace and perch with one just shy of 2lb but all that seems irrelevant compared to everything else.

This is what happens when a tree falls across a canal if you're unlucky, I hope no one was in

How did you get on?-img_0461.jpg

How did you get on?-img_0463.jpg

Then the bream were breeding, some lumps too about 40 of them, they drew the attention of the passers by and were also oblivious as I took many photos right under my feet, at the time I thought this was wonderful and I left them alone to fish elsewhere. However the local youth didn't do this and in twenty minutes I watched as at least four of them were foul hooked and lost as they had no net and were attempting to land them in a bucket!

I walked off angry at myself for not saying anything but was a bit outnumbered and these guys weren't the sort you'd talk to, I also thought it's better them than a group with a big net and fishmonger contacts. I thought that aside from no net they actually weren't doing anything against the law, this didn't seem right, this made me wonder whether I should be fishing and should leave it for a while whilst the majority of the fish are breeding. Lots of thoughts went through my head and the worst of all was I spent more time worrying about those bream than the poor folk who could have been in that boat

How did you get on?-img_0455.jpg

How did you get on?-img_0453.jpg

Pretty dispirited right now, like I say the difference a day makes
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-img_0459.jpg 
    Last edited by theartist; 16-05-2019 at 16:58.

Rob when do you get the time to draw?

Gordon (wetthrough) has joined one of my clubs and we plan to visit a pool I like and which also appeals to him. Well being a caring so and so I thought the least I could do for a pal would be to check it out to make sure it was still there and prebait a swim for him:

I managed five carp with one mirror over 12lb and the bream of 4.5lb pictured! Despite the sunshine, I was in the shade and there was a cold breeze necessitating a hoodie and I was still cold!

I thought the grass was a little long around the lake so arranged for it to be cut ready for Gordon! Not really but this lake and another close by which we may visit have had the cutting and pruning treatment today . It's ready Gordon
    Last edited by mikench; 16-05-2019 at 16:31.

Now for something completely different.

I was talked in to leaving our local waters for the day and motoring 20 minutes north west to the 96 acre Naseby reservoir that neither of us had fished before. First impressions? The water level was low so there would obviously be less acreage of water to ponder over – secondly, the car park/reservoir was devoid of cars/people which isn’t generally a good sign.

The car park is adjacent to the dam wall and from there I could see some fish activity in the shallow, virtually gin clear, weedy bay in front of us. Good place to start so grabbed a rod, X-lite, bag and net and set up on the far side facing the dam wall (so that’s whittled it down from 96 acres to around an acre with some fish in residence). I decided to use a 1.5t/c Avon, 10lb ProGold to an old Shimmy Aero 5000GTE, a small fox bubble, about 3’ of Reflo .19 hook length to a B911X size 12 with a KK to a pellet band. Bait was an 8mm pellet.

I overfilled the bubble to sink gently on to the pond weed and cast about 30’ out ‘poulting out some pellets from time to time. We had the place to ourselves, apart from a visit by the bailiff who relieved us of £5 each, a commented that he was surprised we were catching as the place had ‘not been fishing’. Fished from 10-3pm for 9 carp between 14.10 and 19.14. The last hour got somewhat chilly as the easterly wind picked up so it was handy that the car was so close to grab a fleece................
    How did you get on?-naseby-16may19pic3.jpg
    How did you get on?-naseby-16may19pic1.jpg
    How did you get on?-naseby-16may19pic2.jpg
    How did you get on?-naseby-16may19pic4.jpg
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

A few hours to kill before the footie started combined with what is supposed to the the last of the sunny weather tempted me out again. The potential case of after the Lord Mayor's show wasn't as bad as it could have been. I'd intended a spot of bit bashing with a twenty five year old Daiwa rod. It didn't quite work out as planned, despite a 2lb 6oz hooklink and size 18 Drennan Silverfish Maggot hook.

I did have a few unremarkable bits but the bigger fish turned up and pushed them out intermittently. I did lose a couple of what I'd assume to be carp. One to a simple hook pull, another to an opened up hook when I had to try and stop it getting into some lillies.
    The first, and biggest, of the two carp I had went 11lb 7oz.
    How did you get on?-dscpdc_0003_burst20190516175515979_cover.jpg
    Whilst I generally got on better than I expected with the sliding rod bands. The better fish had the rod bent double and the reel moving around just enough to make me uncomfortable.
    No such issues were had with more sedate 4lb bream. I've had them before from this water when they've fought pretty well. This one was the proverbial wet sack.
    How did you get on?-dsc_0030.jpg