How did you get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Last week I did a mole trapping job at one of the many commercial holiday / carp fishing lakes nearby. The angler hadn't had a fish all week and I reckon it must have set him back the best part of a grand. So I don't feel quite so bad at blanking.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Last week I did a mole trapping job at one of the many commercial holiday / carp fishing lakes nearby. The angler hadn't had a fish all week and I reckon it must have set him back the best part of a grand. So I don't feel quite so bad at blanking.

Is that moles or fish Clive?.......................;)

nicepix

Reaction score
Is that moles or fish Clive?.......................;)

Cheeky buffer! :rolleyes:

After I'd put the traps in the lake owner and the angler who had rented it for the week had a discussion and estimated the tally of moles would be 3 or 4. I landed 8 on Wednesday and 2 more on Friday :w

I did blank on moles last week though for the first time ever. I had five jobs on and got to the last one a bit earlier than expected. The householder wasn't home and so I went for a look around the extensive gardens. I couldn't find a mole hill anywhere :confused: Then I heard an ultrasonic mole repeller and homed in on the sound. The device was standing guard over a bloomin' rat run in a flower bed :eek:mg:

So, I explained to the customer when he returned that there were no moles in the garden, just rodents. Probably explains why his wife's bulbs were being eaten from below. I reckoned they were the garden dormouse type things. As I have a no mole - no fee arrangement I was reluctant to put traps in and have to go back twice to check them as I didn't expect to trap any moles there. But he insisted that they were moles and so I waived my guarantee and he paid me up front.

Result; one garden dormouse trapped, no moles seen and €120 in the bank :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had another good mornings fishing from around 05.30 when the temperatures were a little lower. In fact the cloud was slow in breaking up so ideal conditions for a few roach. I fished a different swim which offered more shade for longer and it wasn't until 11am that the sun finally caught up with me...
I caught 8" fish steadily on flake in 7' of water but the bigger ones kept themselves to themselves. I tried other baits, including hemp, which caught well a couple of weeks ago, without a touch. Back to crust and fish came again but no bigger....In between times I had half a dozen tench, four crucians and a passing carp of around 5lbs.

Around mid morning the bites became finicky regardless of bait and hook size, with supposedly 'sail away' bites resulting in zero returns although I still caught fish spasmodically.
Strangely, the bites increased after midday and so did the size of fish when some reached the 3/4 to 1lb mark and this with the sun on the water. It only goes to show that on some occasions, time of day matters not a jot.....

All in all a great day of intense, fun fishing which saw my thermos still 3/4 full as I left for home such was the rate of catch (and the necessity to hold the rod at all times)..

Hopefully Monday will bring a bit the wet stuff and a drop in temperatures..................

barbelboi

Reaction score
I started to get a bit nadgy late this afternoon with all this damn heat so I grabbed the lure gear and headed for the river for a few hours.

Nothing much doing, I did get into one mini battle of attrition with a small jack that had a go five times and still managed to miss the lure!

I don’t suppose I could get away with saying I banked this but by the time I had turned around with the phone the heat had gotton to it a bit…

I need to get out tomorrow, not sure where or what for yet but it might be an early morning visit for the hour or so of opening for the tackle shop for some bait.

That's a nice trilby it's wearing Steve...........;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I actually went fishing today !:eek:

After yesterday's bunfight on the M25/M3 taking daughter to Southampton [4 hours there...2 hours back :mad:] I needed some me time so I had my very first go at dropshotting down the GUC...a quick couple of hours before it got too hot.

Being a total d/s virgin I was in a right 2 and 8 to start with but I slowly got to grips with what I was trying to do...I think. 2 or 3 taps from what I guessed were small fish kept me honest then just when I'd had enough of the heat & was about to dismiss dropshotting as rubbish the line went slack on me & I tightened into a fish.

It was the only one I had but it was a cracking perch of about 1.5 lb and a real delight on my newly purchased dropshot rod. I think I could get to like this dropshotting lark:D:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Interclub fixture on the GUC today. Beautiful setting in the shadow of Ivinghoe beacon in rural Bucks. Fairly coloured water c. 16m wide with moorings across.
Started setting up a waggler rod and found I had no wagglers...Doh!
I tied an 0:75gr pole rig on instead and set it a foot overdepth with the olivette just on the deck. First chuck across to the boats with maggot a good skimmer which stayed on about 5 seconds.. Out again and hooked it again landing it this time. Good start. A few more and some roach before the swim dried up and the boat traffic got heavier. Fished pole over GB with pinkie and got gudgeoned out. Last hour back across on the rod and a good roach followed by some more skimmers. Weighed in 5lb 12oz.
Winner had 50lb 12oz, mainly bream and one carp c.7lb.
2nd was 12lb+. 3rd 12lb+....
28 fished....

law

Reaction score
I went to a lake for some tench today.

The lake owner insists that there is only female tench in the lake and that there is nothing under 3lb. It states it on the website too.
So imagine my surprise when I had loads of 2" long tench, loads of crucians, a goldfish and some tiny common carp. Along with various tench between 1 and 3lb.
Also had one with a bit of a wound....the second pic. Any idea what can cause it?

Anyway, This was the biggest
10525789_10152548117960365_2287218574066832557_n.jpg

10525625_10152548135665365_961803640710700822_n.jpg

C

chefster

Not posted for a while,so thought i would.... fished a match,guesting with Bulkington at Makins fishery today on Reptile lake...drew a peg on a point,had no margin swims,island was 20m,so had to chuck the splodger all day,with GB and dead reds ,managed 16 carp for 43-10-0,losing a fair few ,through hook pulls,i did manage 1 ghostie on the 5m meat line....for 2nd.....winner was Phil(The Power)Porter with 59-8-0,and the organiser Mark had 3rd with 43-6-0,so i only just snuck 2nd..i,m fishing an open at Toft carp on tues and Barby Banks on thurs..Good luck,Gazza

The Runner

Reaction score
Nice couple of hours down the Colne yesterday evening, only one chub around 3-8 but pretty much a roach or perch every run through in the last hour.
Not so good today, club match on our lake nr Wraysbury. Drew same peg as last time on the shallow side. Only had meat, boilies, corn and 8ml pellet with me apart from half a pint of maggot left over from last night, most of which I rolled dead before the whistle, as its big fish or bust here.
It usually is anyway. Had 3-8 of roach and small skimmers by accident on heavy gear- didnt have enough maggot or any appropriate groundbait (or a waggler rod) to fish for them properly and sure I could have framed if I had.
Four carp for 48-9 won it, then a couple of 11s and 9-12 last in frame.
Had a run of half a dozen liners mid match that convinced me something would happen, but no.
The place has been virtually devoid of small fish for the last 4 or 5 years so definitely a good sign- will make sure I give myself the option next time.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Had a reasonable day yesterday, fished a local weirpool in hope of the odd barbel*. Didn't catch any, had some nice chub and bream though.

Day was spoilt by some idiots on the opposite bank turning up and going for a swim - even climbing the weir with small kids, btw the weir is about 20' high.

*E.T.A,: so as not to detract from another thread - 1.5lb tc 'Avon Rod' 8lb mainline 6lb hooklength. (sarcasm hat on)

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
I went to a lake for some tench today.
Also had one with a bit of a wound....the second pic. Any idea what can cause it?
I'd guess at merganser / goosander - with a saw-edge beak - possibly a jack but it looks the wrong shape. Nice-looking tench piccies.
:thumbs:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished a local farm pond yesterday with a couple of friends and one's grandson. A good day for all with a mixed bag of crucians, roach, rudd tench and a few ferrals.............A very hot day so the plentiful shade there is always welcome.

PS Didn't get there until about 10am - Tony had probably been and gone......;)

farm714_zps2e027469.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've finally worked it out - it's that bl**dy black and white cat I manage to see EVERY time I go to a certain water !
The alarm means I set off at the same time, give or take, so consequently I end up driving down the same bit of road just when this animal is on it's way home and it crosses in front of me EVERY time ! It's almost as if it's waiting for me....absolutely weird !
Anyway, what have cat's got to do with it, you may ask ? Well, obviously, if the damn thing was black all over I would undoubtedly catch more fish, wouldn't I (?)

However,it has to be said, I overcame the 'lack of black' on Saturday (as one does..) by catching 25/30 roach plus a decent tench for the water, and a lonely crucian....None of the roach could be classed in the 'glass case' league but some were reasonable and all in excellent nick...All fell to flake although the best fish took hemp on the drop, but again, a one off for some reason and this at midday when no self respecting decent roach would be seen dead taking a seed..
Monday, I made the mistake of going back to the same swim with the obvious result that the bag was somewhat smaller...
Tuesday, I threw caution to the wind and fished another swim where carp gave me a hard time on an 18 for a while, before roach started feeding at the unearthly hour of 10am. (Now where have I heard that 'time' before??)

Today, I shall be doing an afternoon stint from around 2pm til 8ish, in a swim shaded by trees (which should keep off some of the promised rain/storms), and one I rarely fish... Yes, I do like to test myself all the time even at the expense of catching nowt !!

I might just give the some nice ultra soft flavoured wheat a go for a change, with hemp and flake as back-up...However this will not happen if I fail to remove said baits from the freezer (and sharpish!) which is where it lays at present !!

All of this sounds dead casual, doesn't it, when all the time it will be good, hard, 'go for it' fishing - me against them !!!

Last edited: