Thanks Thanks:  506
Likes Likes:  70,924
Page 1308 of 1361 FirstFirst ... 3088081208125812981306130713081309131013181358 ... LastLast
Results 13,071 to 13,080 of 13601

Default Re: How did you get on?

I had to give Mr. Crabtree’s post a double take, not use to seeing a lone angler without another old codger insight!

Meanwhile, I gave the double header at Hythe another bash in search of a trio of preds, pike, perch and bass.

Arrived at the Military canal 3 hours before high tide across the road giving me ample time to tick off the first two and a delicious coffee from the boathouse cafe.

The canal was teeming with fish, rudd and bream everywhere and the Jacks were in a feisty mood, had half a dozen and just one small perch.

After refreshments walked along the prom between Sandgate and Hythe and everything looked good for some lure chucking.

But that was about to change very quickly as Mark had experienced most probably not many miles away, the wind swung round and had become a stiff onshore breeze, all clarity gone and getting a lure further than 30 yards was difficult, waved the white flag after ten minutes.

Went back to the canal taking in some of the many historical features on the way.

Had another couple of Jacks and then came apon a shoal of carp, most into double figures, I shall come with bread and a carp rod next time!

Been a while since I last posted on here.

Decided yesterday to have my first trip of the season to one of my local rivers to reacquaint myself with the art of float fishing on running water.
    Bait for the day was maggot, bread and meat.

Below is a pic of my chosen swim.
    How did you get on?-20190620_134430.jpg

I chose this for the long steady glide which shallows nicely from about 4' to 3' about 30 yards down. This is not a particularly deep river. I also liked the the overhanging bushes opposite which are directly above a nice clear weed channel.

First trot down resulted in a roach of around 3/4 Oz, great thinks I things can only get better. Over the next hour or so I had 27 of these tiny beauties and a number of minnows.
    Unfortunately the wind picked up and kept blowing strongly downstream and across making mending the line near impossible without the float heading towards the near bank, I even switched to a very heavy 4BB stick which helped counteract this somewhat but without real joy.

I was therefore forced to resort to the feeder rod and decided to try meat hoping for a chub, alas without success.

Below is a pic of my ancient seat box which I still use more than any other seat I have. Although my backside fills the lid a lot more than it used to.
    As can be seen I am not the tidiest angler.
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-20190620_134449.jpg 

Blog Entries

Arrow Re: How did you get on?

I’ve just returned from visiting various ports along the Adriatic, Ionion and Aegrean seas visiting various places in Turkey, Greece, Montenegro, Italy and Croatia in temperatures of between 25 to 35 degrees but I really missed good old Blighty and its fishing, even though I've heard that tbe weather at home has been a little wet at times, I still much prefer being beside one of our beautiful waters on a summers eve or morning catching some of the quality fishing that we have back here. I’m off to my local estate lake with my son on Sunday after a few Tench and Carp and I just can’t wait, and even if I don’t catch a couple of whoppers I will be back in my element, so watch this space

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 22-06-2019 at 17:07.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Lovely photos John, as usual. Lovely county Kent!

I went down to a small park lake the other evening for a couple of hours into dark. After everyone has gone you an creep round and stalk the fish in the margins. Its very exciting fishing right under the rod tip and a wayward footfall will have them zooming away.

It was chilly & after completing almost 1 lap of the lake with nothing showing I noticed some rocking & ripples right in the edge, a fish was feeding inches from the bank. I inched forward till I was right over it & lowered my float down into the ripples. The little betalight lay flat on the surface as it was too shallow to cock. The rocking water continued, a good sign, I had not spooked it. The float twitched from time to time s the fish brushed the line which I ensured I kept slack. A minute or so more with me standing like a statue & trying not to breath & the betalight started to pull slowly and deliberatly away into open water …I struck and was in. I could feel it was not a monster so played it pretty hard and after a spirited battle bundled it into the net. It was not till I switched on my little head torch and looked into the net that I realized what it was.

I had seen this Koi occasionally swimming about but due to the large head of other fish in the water knew the chances of ever catching it were slim. The fact it also came from a natural lake open to all rather than a commercial purposely stocked with them made it a pleasant surprise so I sacked it and came back after sunrise to take its photo.

How did you get on?-koi.jpg

How did you get on?-img_3658.jpg

How did you get on?-img_3656.jpg

I disappeared to the same venue but a different peg and again caught a good variety of fish with several crucians amongst them. The one in the pic was perhaps the best. No tench but plenty of carp, bream and gudgeon. I actually came home because it was too warm which makes a refreshing change. Maggot, pineapple boilies( 8mm) and chick peas were the dishes of the day and I float fished again.

I managed a few hours back at one of the local rivers yesterday stalking some chub. Quite a bit of bank walking and watching for three fish, bait was free lined lob...........Fished from 11.30-3pm.

How did you get on?-ise21june2019.jpg
    How did you get on?-chub-21june2019.jpg
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

On the banks of the local reservoir at 5am this morning,mist rising gently off the water,very little breeze - perfect hopefully for tench.The plastic corn rod had the first bite,a bream of about a pound and a half,better than a blank but not a tench.Three ospreys then captured my attention for 15 minutes as they circled both arms after breakfast and then suddenly they were gone replaced by a hot air balloon and after that two very noisy microlights circling over the water.
    Switched the second rod to a 10mm esterberry boilie and off it went and what felt like a tench fell off in the weed.Recast and had a female tench of 6lb 9oz grace the net,fighting fit despite a horrific gash to the wrist of the tail - cormorant damage?. This was followed by a male tench of 4lb again on a single esterberry boilie. A solitary osprey paid two separate visits before I packed up headed homewards.

Well, it’s been quite a week, since my tench session on Sunday I’ve been back on the river at the bottom of the garden,, with 2 frustrating evenings on the feeder for nothing but missed bites, an evening trotting maggots ( 1/2 litre for 5 euros and half of that sawdust!) saw me bagging up on minnows and pulling out of the only decent fish. On the plus side we opened as a BnB this week with guests from USA, France and Germany and this evenings fluff chucking produce a dace and a brine trite both on a dray flay ( in retrospect the trout the other week was a sea trout!!) took a risk and tried a photo in mid stream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Early start on the Dam on Friday arriving at 5am. Slider at 30+M and a small bodied 3mm tip waggler at ~12M. Started off fishing where Mike did on Tuesday, 3" on the bottom at 8'3" having told Mike it was 7'6" It seems Mike loses count quite easily How did you get on?. Tuesday was woeful by normal summer standards. I'm not sure how many I got as I didn't have my counter with me but it wasn't many. What a difference a couple of days make.

It was forecast to bucket down at 8am which I'd gone prepared for but it only lasted about 10 minutes. The rest of the day was perfect. Bites coming from the off but all on the drop. Once it settled they weren't interested. Just one or two from the bottom until I shallowed up. Ended up fishing at about 3'6" with most of the lead up near the float, bites and fish were quite regular but in fits and starts. It would fish well for a while then go quiet. Possibly Pike presence but I didn't see any and none came after my catch. I'd gone equipped but decided not to bother. Switching to the slider when it went quiet produced nothing at all. Probably not surprising if they're up in the water. Loose feeding maggots hemp and caster at 12M after an initial two balls of loose groundbait followed by 3 to the bottom. Mostly going to caster and I couldn't single out bigger fish with anything in particular having tried sweetcorn, bread, tares and maggots. Noticed that the fish were quite warm to the touch.

Nice fish, all Roach bar one small skimmer. Roach to around 5+ the skimmer not much bigger. 66 in all although it was a long but quite busy day, around 11hrs fishing.