Thanks Thanks:  508
Likes Likes:  71,193
Page 1321 of 1363 FirstFirst ... 321821122112711311131913201321132213231331 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,210 of 13630

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post

Speaking of which can anybody who saw it tell me why the USA defender that clipped Ellen White's shooting leg for our penalty wasn't sent off ? If that wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity I dont know what is. Pity there's no football equivalent of rugby's " penalty try".
    New thread surely..? Please..

Blog Entries

Speaking of which can anybody who saw it tell me why the USA defender that clipped Ellen White's shooting leg for our penalty wasn't sent off ? If that wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity I dont know what is. Pity there's no football equivalent of rugby's " penalty try".[/QUOTE]

No I cant,ridiculous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I foolishly, with hindsight, opted to fish with a bomb rod and feeder whereas Gordon stuck to the float and caught 54 fish to my 10. There were 4 crucians in my paltry total like this.
    Mike forgot to mention that 6 of his 'paltry' total were good sized Carp and that probably 50% of mine were Rudd and as most will know, not catching Rudd is considerably more challenging than catching them! Just one small Common and one Mirror for me which interestingly took a Tare as did one that got away.

The Damsel fly was in my peg on and off, a striking looking insect to say the least. Looking forward to Friday

Blog Entries

Went out for 3/4 of an hour yesterday evening after work and managed another lure caught Roach in between the tiny perch and solitary jack.

Back to the Warks Avon without my boots yesterday as one is in the English channel somewhere right now. I thought I was going to end up there as well yesterday as a road closure and my subsequent bodged diversion took me right off course. I did go through some wonderful Cotswoldy villages that were well off the beaten track, a little bit of English magic even if I was dying to find the river. I do like an adventure after all and maybe a sat nav would have ruined all that I told myself as my phone bleeped and went dead on what was now a proper old school journey.

Despite a half an hour detour I arrived to find the swim where last time I had loads of chub empty so I was confident of a good chub day. Maybe it was the weather or they have moved but I couldn't get through the small stuff trotting maggots and the only highlight was an angry perch that was determined to take a bleak I had on, slurping it of the surface at the third or fourth attempt. It was quite a lean fish and looked much bigger in the water than the 1lb 11oz it weighed.

I moved to swim I knew was full of bleak so I changed to pellet in the hope of chub and roach and whilst the former were strangely absent the redfins turned up in style. It was hard work as it was the kind of swim where the float would only go under at more or less the same spot each run through but it was rewarding - 21 netters with most around the pound mark biggest going 1lb 7oz I only swung in 2 or 3 fish.

A few bream showed including a roach hybrid that spun on the surface and looked so roachy I had to do a double take, it would have been 3lb if I had weighed it but I didn't want to torment myself with that one. Pike turned up when a bit of cloud cover came but in between it was roach fun in the sun
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-img_0603.jpg How did you get on?-img_0595.jpg How did you get on?-img_0591.jpg 
    Last edited by theartist; 14-07-2019 at 16:49.

GUC Tring station was the scene of last nights evening fixture. A fairly narrow stretch with little in the way of far bank features.

Just 7 of us fished due to holidays and the top 5 in the league looking uncatchable..
    It was a walk off as usual and I drew 1 so I made straight for a sunken tree which looked promising but awkward. I opted to fish behind the snag which was taking a big risk but I figured I could pull any fish out to the left into open water.

I fed a good pot of chopped worm and casters in the spot, you can just see my yellow tip float above, and left it for 10 minutes while I tried punch and liquy away to the left. Had a couple of small roach immediately but I got tempted away to the other line fairly quickly. I dropped my rig in with half a Dendra and a caster on a 16B611.
    It wasn’t long before the float buried.
    A bream headed straight for the snag ripping elastic out so I pulled hard to my left and it jumped out of the water and over to my side of the snag with a splash.
    Second put in an immediate bite and another tussle ensued, this time things went to plan and I steered it away from the sunken branch.
    A good start but I think those 2 bream were the only ones there, my hopes for a shoal were dashed. During the final 2 hours small roach, perch and a ruff were the only bites.
    It was a struggle for the rest too, only one beat me with 4:5:0 with my 3:10:0 coming 2nd once again. Still, valuable points for the league and an enjoyable evening’s fishing....

I was up early and set off for my current favourite water with a cunning plan in mind. Last Sunday I reverted to floater fishing by basically freelining a floating dog biscuit. I enticed about 8 carp to take my bait and enjoyed the experience. My Titan coped admirably but was probably not the best tool for the job. So today I took a pellet waggler rod, a white Stradic 4000 with 8lb line, a controller float (15g) and a pile of dog biscuits.

I thought a fluorocarbon hook length would be suitable being alledgedly invisible but it sank even with an application of mucilin.

I then made a 5' hooklength out of Drennan float fish with a mucilin application and this stayed floating and the bait wasn't drawn to the float. The carp were cruising and taking all the freebies but they didn't want to know my hookbait at all. At one point my hookbait and 5 freebies provoked a frenzy of carp. As it dissipated only my hookbait remained.

I returned to my Titan and punch as hook bait and immediately had a carp on the drop. I had 30 fish all told mainly roach to 8oz , gudgeon and skimmers. I do like gudgeon and hate small perch. They swallow whatever bait presented to them even when you strike at the earliest opportunity. Are big perch the same? A lovely day nonetheless and perfect weather.

Hope to get out again on Friday.
    Last edited by mikench; 03-07-2019 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I do like gudgeon and hate small perch. They swallow whatever bait presented to them even when you strike at the earliest opportunity. Are big perch the same?
    No Big Perch don't swallow your bait like without you knowing but they will wolf down your Gudgeon

Re the tiny ones swallowing bait try a dust shot a few inches from your hook, with the float dotted down and fish exactly dead depth that way the float WILL move with any movement of the bait

Thanks Rob; cracking perch by the way.

Went to Coppice again today , Chair broke again ! ( Hey fatty Bum Bum )

Got there mid afternoon and already had some swirls in my margin so leaned up against a tree , in the shade and well back from the edge and fished a float off the tip and maggots ( without feeding anything ) had a few roach and something big took my bait but the hook pulled.

Started feeding a few maggots at a time and this seemed to increase the activity in the margin , still sat well back.
    I seemed to be missing bites on the float so switched to a bomb ( made semi fixed by a drennan float stop ) fished a banded pellet but fed maggots , one hook up but the hook pulled

changed to a shorter hook length ( still banded ) nothing
    Switched to side hooked maggots couple of roach
    switch to side hooked maggots and a much smaller hook size ( 18 ) immediate pick up , massive swirl , hook length immediately broke ( thought I was OK with 4lb obviously not )

Soooo.....

fed a greater number of maggots , short hook length , around a 16 wide gape hook to about 7lb length , side hooked maggots on a bomb plopped in the margins , line neither slack or tight

Maybe it was the time of day but BAM , had one about 8 lb then one about 10 then one that seemed to big for the net that night have gone 12 , all 3 took a load off line when they took off and , even though I coaxed them into the net by putting my rod in the water they all made several runs once they got close to the bank.

An enjoyable afternoon sat in the shade propped up against a tree feeding a tame duck maggots.
    Last edited by bennygesserit; 03-07-2019 at 20:37.