Thanks Thanks:  504
Likes Likes:  70,826
Page 1335 of 1360 FirstFirst ... 335835123512851325133313341335133613371345 ... LastLast
Results 13,341 to 13,350 of 13594

Default Re: How did you get on?

Until the very last line I was wondering where you could fish at Lakeside!

Lovely report.

Blog Entries

Fished the Dam a few times since last posting but have been a wire short of a USB cable. The old one got utilized in a permanent fixture where the other four have gone is anyone's guess and I wasn't paying £15+ from Curry's!

For those that aren't familiar, the Dam from the dam head, east to the left. There's about another 200M beyond what looks like the far end.

How did you get on?-ld_full_20190712_052349_sml.jpg

Got a right royal soaking first trip but still caught 62, one skimmer of around 1:1.5lb the rest Roach but not bad sizes. Unusually they were taking corn for the most part. Corn hasn't done well up til now, particularly in the morning. I'd get one or two on corn but mostly they've been caster dominated sessions. There are signs of big fish feeding which there haven't been up til now. I'm guessing it's down to the spot being in the shade for most of the day until late summer. Second trip fished like a plonker. Couldn't make my mind up whether to fish up or down and ended up doing neither very well or both badly depending how you look at it. Did catch 25 Roach despite that and one really nice one maybe just under 1lb:

How did you get on?-ld_roach_20190712_080109_sml.jpg

Third trip much like the first minus the skimmer and the rain - 42 but it's maggots ruling the day.

Last trip, same peg and they're going for Tares. Very strange. There's just no way of telling what's going to work best on the day. Had mikench's Pike for company for much of the day. I couldn't see it, the water's a bit coloured anyway with all her crashing about but suspect she was parked right under the peg. I kept putting the fish back in in different places but she stuck around eventually getting her teeth well and truly locked into the landing net which is now bent. 52 altogether with one good sized Roach and a bonus Perch which took a caster.

How did you get on?-ld_roach_20190716_163608_sml.jpg

How did you get on?-ld_perch_20190716_102454_sml.jpg

Chatted to the lady angler on the way back and she's got a sizeable Pike parked by the peg, motionless and clearly visible, probably around 6:7lb.

Do you think she was missing me Gordon? Pike gear for me I think next time at the Dam.

Club fixture yesterday on the Thames at the Medley, Oxford.

This was the scene at 9am.

With a nice view over Port meadow opposite and a favourable upstream wind, what could go wrong?
    The river is shallow compared to other stretches at a max of 5’ deep in most places so naturally there’s weed growth during the summer.
    I did set up a feeder but found it impossible to find any spots without weed.
    Out came the 15’ rod and peacock waggler set shallowish to just trip across the top of the weed.
    At the all in I started spraying hemp around a third of the way across the river. Tare on a 16b611 and first chuck hooked a nice 8oz roach. Was this to be the start of a roach bonanza?
    They kept coming as I alternated between tare and corn with a pouch of hemp every cast.
    I did try maggots or casters but got bleaked out every time.
    As the morning went on a few groups of families, students and kids turned up and sat on the grass behind me, it got progressively noisier. The bites slowed but I was picking off the odd roach meantime. By 2pm the throng of Oxfords finest grew bigger with inflatable boats, surfboards, people swimming and dogs chasing balls .
    Despite the pandemonium I fished on.
    A group of teenage girls appeared in the next swim down to my left, It seemed like they were having a competition to see who could scream and shout the loudest. Their pink inflatable unicorn naturally caught the flow and they soon ended up in my target area.

I could do nothing so remained calm and did still catch the odd roach despite the racket.

Ended up with 5:14:0, all roach and one chub....

.....which got me 6th place out of 12 . Winner had 2 big bream + bits for 11lb, all the framers had persevered with the feeder and caught bream despite the weed.
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 23-07-2019 at 06:16.

Nice venue. I know it but I must ask why a club would pick this known "resort" area for a match this time of year on a Sunday?

Because we (Tring anglers) are affiliated to ODAA and are allocated dates to fish their venues...

Over 20 years ago I put a Barclays Bank AA match on Medley - 24 pegs - and it was on the last Saturday in July in a heatwave. Many of the anglers by then had switched to commercials so it was an ordeal by water for many but it fished well despite the boats and swimmers. I had a dozen 18-year-old German female canoeists in the swim above which wasn't pegged but distracting although they were courteous and didn't disturb me. The colour induced by the general commotion plus the heat meant the river fished well though a 'ringer' for the local team won with 24lbs, 17lb was 2nd and I was 3rd with 16lbs, mainly a mix of silver bream and roach on caster on the waggler plus a bonus 5lb bream, also on the waggler. One angler moaned to me at the end but as I explained a bite a cast for 5 hours can hardly be faulted!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Their pink inflatable unicorn naturally caught the flow and they soon ended up in my target area.
    I can't imagine that has been quoted too many times in fishing reports!

Another day chasing the Rudd on Stonar lake. Arrived at 5-30am and it was already t shirt weather. Hopes were high for a good haul of the golden bars with hot sunny conditions.

Usual setup, whip for shallow, rod with slider float for deep exploration.

A truly disappointing day, lots of bream but just four rudd, three being caught on the deck in 20ft of water, the best going a pound and a half.

Think I chose the wrong side of the lake, the wind has changed direction I wonder if the guys on the other side did any better.

Peter Cràbtree: your catch in those conditions was fantastic, I take my hat off to you (not joking). You have more patience than I have!