Thanks Thanks:  489
Likes Likes:  68,826
Page 1336 of 1336 FirstFirst ... 336836123612861326133413351336
Results 13,351 to 13,360 of 13360
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get on?

Not only that Simon,if it had been overcast and blowy,you wouldn't have had the issue,sad,but it's how lady luck treats you,,the venue is full of fish,but many things can go against you,that's just one of them....

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I've been down to Godalming again today chasing crucians and for once I wasn't pestered by tench....not that I've got anything against tench but I dont get up at silly o'clock and hack my way round the M25 to catch them.

No....its crucians I want down there and today the fishing gods smiled upon me. Unfortunately my phone is dead so I'll post some pics once it ( and I) have recovered.

Despite arriving at about 10 past 5 all my favourite swims were occupied which forced me to go elsewhere...and am I ever glad I did. Picked a spot just up from the corner into which the wind was blowing which, I think, was significant and a damned fine choice. I had a crucian first chuck and caught steadily all day until the sun came out about 3-30.

I finished with 23 crucians, 1 tench and a carp. The tench was about 3lb...the carp an ounce shy of 21lb ( and I lost a bigger one cos I couldnt get it in my 26" net ! ) . The smallest crucian went 2lb 3oz...the biggest 3lb 10oz and I had 14 over 3lb in weight. I was most certainly not expecting that.

I dont know how I'm going to tell the BF. He was full of it after his trip last week which produced 11 tench and 4 crucians.

1 on a 6mm pellet, 2 on rubber casters and the rest on artificial corn inc both carp.

That'll do nicely thank you very much.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; Yesterday at 21:36.

Just one word......wow.

Blog Entries

I got out on the river for a quick one last night.
    The target was perch and chub.
    I caught a couple of perch before this crashed the party.
    Took my first fish selfie as well.....could have turned out better

Blog Entries

Very nice fish Neil, but that fish looks a lot happier than you mate

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Went to one of the local pits with the father in law last week. Targeting tench, but they didn't oblige (not a sniff of one all day), so instead we were bagging up on silvers. I reckon we managed 20-30lb bags each, including roach, rudd and hybrids up to about half a pound. It was a fun and productive day, but a tad frustrating that nothing more sizable put in an appearance.

More annoyingly, a shoal of decent sized rudd to over 2lb were congregating in a large hole in the weed in FIL's swim, but they were too far out for the sensible gear that we both had with us and neither of us could reach them.

At least we know for next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    Very nice fish Neil, but that fish looks a lot happier than you mate

Keith
    We've all got one like that, I got one of my first big roach years ago and it was a case of "Dad it's the silver button.... no the big one...no the one on top...FFS dad".... Click! "Done it son, you could have smiled"

Oh the wonders in hindsight of a decent camera with a good self timer

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

As promised here's a selection from yesterdays crucianfest....with a gatecrashing apple slice mirror.

How did you get on?-img_1269.jpg

3-3 and 2-9..I'd just landed the bigger one when the other rod roared off.This happened twice.
    How did you get on?-img_1271.jpg

3-4 ( I think ? )

How did you get on?-img_1262.jpg

3-10...best of the day.

How did you get on?-img_1281.jpg

The Gatecrasher.....20lb 15oz

Happy Days !

Sorry....just checked my notes/times. That 3-10 above is actually a 3-5.This is the 3-10 with apologies for the rubbish photo ( the sun had come out) and the Binka-esque foot shot

How did you get on?-img_1287.jpg

Typical ! Its inverted
    Last edited by S-Kippy; Today at 13:32.

Another much-anticipated trip to the club lake with fingers firmly crossed that some spots we knew to have day-long shade weren’t occupied. They weren’t and so I set up on the swim I fished last week as it has literally tons of waters to have a go at.

Started on my favourite banjo feeder packed with damp micros, a chocolate orange 6mm wafter and a splodge of Tiger Nut Goo. Stuck with this for around half an hour through some twitches and nudges but nothing positive.

Change of tactic and on went an in-line Bomb, a 15” banded hooklink and an 8mm carp pellet. Cast to an aerator, as it’s always easier to fire feed over the top if you’ve got something to aim at.

After the third pouch of pellets, the rod pulled round and the Baitrunner screamed and after 10 minutes of arm aching battle, in came a bit of a lump. I don’t weigh fish much any more so your guess is as good as mine!

The day moved steadily forward and my total had advanced to 12 fish by the time we decided to call it a day at 3:30. My mate in the swim next door only had 3 but they were all lumps. Of my 12 four of them were lumps, one was a bream (ugh) and one was a tench of around 1.5lbs, couple of mirrors and the rest F1s.

I used to use Bomb and Pellet to great effect on another water in the past and it’s the first time I’ve used it on my club lake. Certainly seemed to sort out some of the larger fish anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-0b6a819d-dff5-4d6f-b407-be36741a733b.jpeg How did you get on?-db68bf4b-efb9-44ff-a3b7-d67d32c719ca.jpg How did you get on?-adcf7552-5010-42e0-80c3-0b1f1d0fc1d1.jpg How did you get on?-f958f594-027a-4c25-b675-d7c2bfe30d50.jpg 
    Last edited by John Keane; Today at 19:46.

We had a bit of rain on Saturday which put a couple of inches on the river, which needed refreshing. With a further heatwave forecast, I thought I'd have a couple of hours on Sunday evening before the low,clear and bright conditions settled in again.

I must have been in a masochistic mood as I picked a pig of a swim that looked fishy but was a nightmare to sit in. With a 30 ft bare earth slope, everything wanted to slide into the river. I even wound a screw-in bankstick into the ground and tied a rope to it, just in case.

I started off with no feed and a bit of flavoured punched meat rolled under the trees below, and this got a bite after about half an hour

But a lack of further bites meant I needed a re-think, and I bait-droppered in a pint or so of hemp, small pellets and chopped meat, ate sandwiches and drank tea. That made a big difference, and there were now quite a few fish in the swim. These were the next two

And a further two followed, but by then I was past bothering to edge my way round the slippery slope to the unhooking mat to take a pic.

By way of a change, I went for a walk along a tiny local river this evening. I've never fished there in summer before. I threw some bits of crust in and walked down to see if anything happened. I'd kind of given up when a group of medium-size chub took the lot. It's great to see fish take food off the surface, and I'll go back and try it before long.