Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,978
Page 1349 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 34984912491299133913471348134913501351135913991449 ... LastLast
Results 13,481 to 13,490 of 14678

Default Re: How did you get on?

Is that the true meaning of pole fishing Keith. He owes you a pint at least.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    I love this dinky little alarm, a Wychwood Signature, it’s around a third of the size of a Delkim and costs £19.99.
    Have used these and similar priced alarms for years. Have never understood why people pay out £100's for alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Is that the true meaning of pole fishing Keith. He owes you a pint at least.
    Not if he’s as tight as his brother, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in that family.

Last night I fished the GUC at Marsworth, the final match of the evening series..

My place in the league was already established so this result made no difference. Lucky really as my 4:2:0 didn’t frame...
    I fished punch close in on a light canal grey waggler taking roach and small skimmers..

Came 4th out of 14 in the league which was tight at the top.

Grabbed a few hours on the estate this morning anxious to get some fishing in before the impending storm. Arrived at 8-30 with Ralph already set up and landing a roach.

A succession of skimmers and the odd roach, interrupted from a shout from Ralph that he had a decent fish on, his first estate tench, well done Sir.

I was getting a bit grumpy with the constant harassment of my bait with skimmmers, tiny roach and rudd, the lake really needs thinning out, the cru’s and tench are so much harder to target than in previous years. Many of the members choose to chuck a lead over to the far bank where the carp reside and so it would seem do the tench, strong tackle is needed with the wild carp going to twenty pounds, not really my cup of tea, ok when scrapping with the carp but the tench aren’t great sport winching them across the lake on 12lb line.

Anyway, somewhat foolishly I stuck a heavy pellet waggler float onto my 4lb line and cast as close to the reeds on the far bank as I dare, didn’t take long before the float disappeared with a carp taking me straight into the reeds with no chance of having a short battle. I refused to give in and the next bite was struck into with some prospect of a fighting chance and a few moments later a tench or about 2 to 3lb slid into the net.

That was my lot for the day, Ralph had already left and I was left pondering how to approach the lake on future visits, take the carp rod with 12lb line or persevere with the match rod using 4lb line on the float spending hours catching skimmers with the hope of a cru or a tench at some stage of the day. Luckily just sitting in such glorious surroundings soon soothes any grumpyness and anything else must be regarded as a bonus.

Early alarm call in the morning for another bass search.

Blog Entries

A big Tidal Trent tide and a "spent " flood - lots of fresh water and fading colour-- what better conditions to have a session with hemp n tare on the river.
    Twenty minutes without a bite then I had four on the trot, nice stamp roach too.
    Then the tide turned and my position made it difficult to run my John Dean stick so I decided on a break until the ebb.
    It turned at 2-30pm and a few free samples in the swim and first trot I was in again-- they wanted it !
    Bites most run down and typical tare fishing they were fast but not unmissable and Inside the hour I had twenty in the net.
    The wind picked up and it made presentation difficult , foot hi waves must have had the tare dancing like a yo yo but still the fish wanted it with gusto.
    Then came a heavy shower that soaked me to the skin but hey, so were the fish so I carried on , it was warm so no matter.
    I finally ended up with sixty three nice Roach with a cracker that went a pound plus and a few more a half pound or so.
    I loved every minute.
    I fished a total of three and a quarter hours with near perfect conditions save for the wind.

Stick with the match rod John ; far superior and more fun. Try a feeder rod instead of a carp rod.

Great post Mick. The like button has gone awol so I couldn't press it.
    Last edited by mikench; 07-08-2019 at 16:38.

Blog Entries

Click refresh and it comes back Mike...

Blog Entries

Footnote to my post.
    I picked an angling times up today and they've done a big spread on Trent roach. One line had me smiling as it said ten years ago you couldn't get a bite from a roach!
    Loads cods tbh, all you had to do was fish the lower Tidal , the lower the better as a tide would/will / does colour up the water .
    They never went away down there, ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Last night I fished the GUC at Marsworth, the final match of the evening series..
    I'm not being funny, but why do you have such a long rod rest? I've often noticed. It looks as if the tip section rests on it. Doesn't your rod sag in the middle? You asked me once why I set my seatbox back to front, and there was a reason, so I'm assuming there must be an explanation.