Thanks Thanks:  592
Likes Likes:  78,957
Page 1376 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 3768761276132613661374137513761377137813861426 ... LastLast
Results 13,751 to 13,760 of 14674

Default Re: How did you get on?

Went out this afternoon for a reccy of some club water on the river. I originally joined this particular club for one stillwaterand had little intention of ever visiting their bit of river. All of it is over or on the limit of my self imposed travel limits. As it happens, I wasn't keen on the bit I went to see or, more precisely, I wasn't keen on the parking. Well away from prying eyes, but within walking distance of the local town.

As it was on the way back, I thought I might as well drop in for a look at the Association water that also comes as part of this (and other) club. This looked more my style and I had some gear with me to see for sure.

Went for my usual long rod, centrepin and bolo float set up, but had the luxury of a few extra feet of water to play with. I got bites from the off and ended up with an OCD satisfying seventy five dace, three grayling and one single roach. The last fifteen dace took an awful lot of time and effort. I probably should have knocked it on the head at sixty. Needless to say, this wasn't my usual river.

Went up to Alders Farm today, fished the Pines lake....

Had the place to my self, completely..

Fish everywhere.

Lobbed some GB in early doors then setup and started fiishing banded pellet...

The swim picked up about an hour in, I was fishing about 2 feet the from the edge of the lake and was pretty much catching on evry cast....

Think I had nearly a dozen, but here some pics of the better ones...How did you get on?-758b419e-c059-4e22-9348-5aabad021b53.jpgHow did you get on?-0982ef8f-1a60-4d93-924e-48cd3e6f2e48.jpgHow did you get on?-img_1726.jpgHow did you get on?-d16aff2b-90fb-41fd-aa87-7cf64c74f1fe.jpgHow did you get on?-img_1727.jpg

Blog Entries

Now that's a commercial with a capital C,must say I'm not keen and prefer Eaton Bray,though I haven't been for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Did you fish the moat hertsbloke,I really like that lake,I fished it for tench on floating crust when I was a teenager and although I haven't fished it for two years have had some brilliant days catching tench,bream,carp and some now passed crucians,including one of 2lbs 13ozs...
    Hey, I grew up fishing there too! Cycling there or taking the 61 bus from Dunstable. We used too dig red worms from the manure heap ( with mr French’s permission). We never caught a crucian though.

Blog Entries

Small world Roger,the crucians weren't there when I first fished it,after a gap of quite a few years I returned,finding the tench fishing better than it ever was,but odd crucians(and I mean odd),but big ones,as for the 61 bus,I used to catch it from the bus stop by the M1,bread was my bait of choice...

Now that's a commercial with a capital C,must say I'm not keen and prefer Eaton Bray,though I haven't been for a while...
    Indeed...

Skillfull its not, but for me, its a fantatstic learning experience, and Im catching fish way bigger then I could have dreamed of as boy.

Blog Entries

It's not really the skill needed that turns me away from proper commercials,it's the carp only stocking and the lack of a challenge to me personally,that said I've done my time fishing them and it took me a long time for the realisation to sink in,I think it was on one particular day when two mates and I fished Mallory Park on three totally different methods and all bagged,I changed from surface to the bottom on different bait after catching 78 nice carp,to double figures,within minutes I was catching similar carp again,I packed and watched a mate for the rest of the day,another similar ending at Alders Farm,I caught 100 carp for around 300lbs plus and packed at around 2pm and slept behind a mate,this isn't being big headed,because I'm not proud of these catches,in fact though several years ago I can still feel the boredom of them,yuk....
    Last edited by whitty; 10-09-2019 at 09:30.

It's not really the skill needed that turns me away from proper commercials,it's the carp only stocking and the lack of a challenge to me personally,that said I've done my time fishing them and it took me a long time for the realisation to sink in,I think it was on one particular day when two mates and I fished Mallory Park on three totally different methods and all bagged,I changed from surface to the bottom on different bait after catching 78 nice carp,to double figures,within minutes I was catching similar carp again,I packed and watched a mate for the rest of the day,another similar ending at Alders Farm,I caught 100 carp for around 300lbs plus and packed at around 2pm and slept behind a mate,this isn't being big headed,because I'm not proud of these catches,in fact though several years ago I can still feel the boredom of them,yuk....
    The commercials do have their uses. If you want to get kids interested in fishing you have to take them somewhere which almost guarantees a catch within 30 mins, or they get bored.

Playing around with bait ideas? A runs water is what you need, because if it doesn't work there, it ain't going to work full stop.

Had a couple of blanks? Go hit a commie to get some fun back in your fishing.

I'll be heading back to Whitepost later this week as I want to play at catching Carp on the float, haven't done it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
    The commercials do have their uses. If you want to get kids interested in fishing you have to take them somewhere which almost guarantees a catch within 30 mins, or they get bored.

Playing around with bait ideas? A runs water is what you need, because if it doesn't work there, it ain't going to work full stop.

Had a couple of blanks? Go hit a commie to get some fun back in your fishing.

I'll be heading back to Whitepost later this week as I want to play at catching Carp on the float, haven't done it for years.
    Exactly that...
    By the way,all my fish above were in the float.

Blog Entries

B
    It’s the same for me too. The only times that I fish a commercial water is when I’m fishing in a team match against another team, or practicing for such a match, otherwise you wouldn’t find me anywhere near a commercial fishery stuffed with f1’s and other hungry Carp, because catching pasties one after the other just bores me to death, and negates any skill of finding and catching decent sized fish through my own hard earned watercraft skills in more remote and more naturally stocked waters which is what I enjoy doing the most.

Even when I fish for Barbel at Marford farm I usually tend to fish downstream on the long walk rather than fish the easy swims on the more prolific short walk.

I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with commercial fisheries at all if you like fishing them, some ‘basic’ watercraft is still very useful, but they are just not my cup of tea; and of course you still need some skill to ‘regularly’ catch large weights of pasties, but the fishing is usually just a tad too false and more often than not a little too easy for my taste.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 10-09-2019 at 17:28.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)