Thanks Thanks:  545
Likes Likes:  74,770
Page 1383 of 1405 FirstFirst ... 383883128313331373138113821383138413851393 ... LastLast
Results 13,821 to 13,830 of 14044
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get on?

The carp tend to cruise continually and like the outlet end near the pilings and to get there they have to cross the wide shallow bay and as they are pigs with fins they are always looking for grub,these carp are cruising your bank too,if you sit quiet and don't slam your car doors like most do,I fed 4mm pellets and used perhaps a pint and a half,with expanders on the hook,I chatted with a couple of guys and worryingly there haven't been many tench out for quite a while,if this is true it's sad as it used to be solid in there,I've had them to 6lb 6oz there...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoJ View Post
    Thanks mate.
    It did look very nice. Someone told me they are pretty rare?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    There certainly not common(excuse the pun),mainly because that scaling has to be bred into them at the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    The carp tend to cruise continually and like the outlet end near the pilings and to get there they have to cross the wide shallow bay and as they are pigs with fins they are always looking for grub,these carp are cruising your bank too,if you sit quiet and don't slam your car doors like most do,I fed 4mm pellets and used perhaps a pint and a half,with expanders on the hook,I chatted with a couple of guys and worryingly there haven't been many tench out for quite a while,if this is true it's sad as it used to be solid in there,I've had them to 6lb 6oz there...
    I was really hoping for Tench tbh.....started off using a plastic twin corn hooklink and after a few stinkies, swapped to banded pellet....

I have been out fishing 3 or 4 times since my last post so please bear with me if I have a string of posts now.

My son and I, in developing our feeder fishing, ended up on our own angling water to see if we could fool any of the bigger fish.

How did you get on?-image.jpg
    All set up on our water.

We set up on a platform in a shallow bay at one end of the lake and whimsically decided to float fish during the day.

The rig was the usual one of a peacock quill fished with a couple of shot just heavy enough to sink it very slowly pinched on an inch and a half from the size 4 hook. The hook was on a short length of braid. Essentially it was a vertical lift bite set up. My son chose a Drennan Red Range 12ft carp waggler as his rod
    The rig is simplicity itself.

The rig

We tend to keep two inches or more of the float emergent from the water as large fish rubbing against the vertical line will sink a dotted down float every other minute leaving you exhausted from continuously striking into thin air or turning the air blue after losing yet another foul hooked fish. I will put a link to a short video to show how the float behaves to a classic Rohu lift and run bite.

Rohu (Labeo rohita) are a largely diurnal fish and duly provided the bulk of the sport during the day interspersed by mrigals (Cirhinna mrigala) and kalabans (Labeo calbasu). We even caught a small white carp (Cirhinnus reba), which rarely grows to a foot or so.

A Rohu comes to the net

Son, Mandan and Mrigal

White carp (Cirhinna reba)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WSASuZ3EgvvPy7yE6

The promised clip of the float (30 seconds, I really should edit it but don't know how). You might need to give it a little time to load and run. I hope it opens for you.

All the best

Lakhyaman
    Last edited by lakhyaman; 15-09-2019 at 20:40. Reason: Photos not showing

Darkness meant it was time for my son and I to add feeder rods to the float rods and move on to a large platform facing the main lake.

We had made up a plethora of feeder mixes with various concoctions of oats, weatabix, fish feed powder,mixed with sweet corn, green peas, fish feed pellets, red kidney beans, chickpeas, besan flour, you name it.

A plethora of feeder mixes and particles.

But what interested us the most was a particular mix to complement some pellets of approximately 10 mm size. One cannot buy the fishing pellets used so often with a feeder in the UK. So we made our own following the recipe and instructions on this YouTube video:

how can i make my own fishing pellets - Google Search

We used fish feed powder instead of pure fish meal. We had no krill powder but did have a litre can of krill liquid. So a 100 ml of the liquid was beaten up with the required one egg. Ovens were not accessible but two minutes for a fully loaded dinner plate of the pellets in a microwave oven when no one was looking seemed to do the job producing firm but slightly spongy pellets which sank. An extra half minute gave us a few floaters.

To complement the pellets we had mixed fish feed powder with coarse wheat flower (for stickiness) wetted with water blended with 100 mm of krill liquid until we felt it was the right consistency for our flatbed method feeders.

We used 70 gram Avid Carp, and ESP Megafeeders
    with a semi fixed bolt rig set up.

Would this work was the question. The answer was in the affirmative as we fished through till dawn catching double figure Catla after Catla. They are extremely strong animals and will test your tackle and you to the very limit.

Son, Mandan and Catla caught on our homemade pellets.

The rod the boy is holding in the picture is a J W Young travel barbel rod. It has two tips. I have used it as a quivertip before and it was fine. However, we both found it a little too much of a poker with the "normal" tip on. We both like bendy through actioned rods. The Shakespeare Agility specimen rod with its 2lb test curve and through action was much more pleasant to use

Catla on a Shakespeare 12ft Agilty Specimen rod.

The moon rose up over the trees to light up the way to dawn.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hertsbloke View Post
    I was really hoping for Tench tbh.....started off using a plastic twin corn hooklink and after a few stinkies, swapped to banded pellet....
    I'm a bit of a traditionalist as far as tench go and tend to float fish for them,all my bream Saturday were on a match rod,I can't tell you how many carp,tench,bream I've caught,next season start fishing it as soon as it opens in March,in my last few year's fishing it(haven't fished it for two years)I didn't fish it after May and usually caught 4-6 tench in a session.

Great posts Lakhyaman as usual with lovely pics. They were worth the wait. Those Catla look a real handful and I bet they do pull back. Your set up looks delightful and I'm fàscinated by the differences in your coarse fish. You and your son clearly enjoy your fishing and it looks like Mandan does too. All the best to you.
    Last edited by mikench; 16-09-2019 at 07:23.

Love your reports Lakhyaman, keep them coming.

Had three trips since last reporting into HDYGO.

Saturday... had planned to head to the river looking for chub but such was the glorious weather I couldn’t resist being by the sea, should have stuck to the river with yet another blank at Westgate on Sea, conditions were surprisingly poor with little if any clarity.

Sunday..... An afternoon visit to the local estate with the sun still beating down, couldn’t do any better than a few skimmers and bream. Another angler turned up and had four beautiful carp in an hour, I’m going over to the dark side next time I visit, I’m getting frustrated with the lack of tench and crucian showing with the glut of skimmers grabbing anything and everything.

Always a view to make it worthwhile though.

Today.... a trip to Hythe along with my local vicar, thought it might be a shrewd move as he may have his prayers answered.

Unlike Westgate on Saturday the English Channel looked superb, calm, clear, weed free and overcast, we just had to catch a fish or two surely!

The vicar had two bait rods out and I was going through my ever growing collection of lures, in the first hour not a bite for either of us. Then on the umpteenth cast I had a fish on, a beautiful Garfish of some considerable size, sadly it managed to slip my barbless hook as I was reaching for my phone to capture a photo and it was away in the surf, happy not to have man handled it anyway.

The vicar meanwhile had started fluff chucking for mackerel and it wasn’t long before he started hauling them in. I’ve never fished for the species before and couldn’t understand when I placed a string of feathers between my dexter wedge and mainline why I could get get a bite.

He put me right by telling me they only seem to attack the feathers on the drop, so a sink and draw method which I now realise is what all the anglers do when fishing for the macks.

So a quick adjustment and I was in straight away catching my first mackerel which will be on tonight’s dinner menu. The vicar had 22 so I guess his prayers were answered.

Last edited by s63; 16-09-2019 at 16:25.

I always found 6 mackerel caught on feathers quite a handful particularly on light Tackle. A unique experience. Lovely pics John as usual. The estate lake looks stunning. I plan to go to Chernobyl( so named by Tigger) to try for more tench.

Now I know carp are not regarded highly by some on here but at the moment locally to me they are the best bet to get your string pulled.
    I went for probably the last time this year to a club lake that has only carp and F1s. The cormarants have seen to that.
    I indulged myself with a pin and a pole float with bread flake and slop. I had 9 carp three were doubles and one F1.

The runs were incredible out into the deep water with the pin spinning. If only they were tench. I get quite envious of some of the posters on here who seem to have decent tench venues locally. Here is a bit of a famine. The tench seem to go in cycles.