Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,189
Page 1384 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 38488412841334137413821383138413851386139414341484 ... LastLast
Results 13,831 to 13,840 of 14858

Default Re: How did you get on?

My lure rod is quite a light one, and an expensive one, hence cutting the feathers down to just two, just a pair of mackerel trying to swim off in opposite directions is enough for this rod Mike!

I had a few hours spare this afternoon, and as the river has been very poor of late I headed down to the coast for a bit of topwater Bass fishing.
    The mark I chose is a small reefy area surrounded by sand, it can fish well from low tide for a few hours up, the fish move into the gullies as the tide rises.

How did you get on?-img_20190916_155229236.jpg

I've only fished it once this year, and there were a lot of small Bass around, which is unusual as you usually get nothing or a decent one here, so when i hooked into one of about a pound after 10 minutes, I was expecting the same.
    However, after about another 10 minutes, I had a slashing take at the lure, but no hook up, damn! I carried on retrieving, and it came again, nothing!
    So i just let the lure sit, and wallop, fish on!
    After a short tussle, I had it on the rocks..

How did you get on?-img_20190916_151607953_hdr.jpg

Not bad, at 53cm and about 4lb.

I carried on for another hour or so, and had one more solid take that didn't stick, and a few swirls, and then they were gone.

And that's what they do. I remember fishing off our boat and catching over 200 mackerel in a few hours. We gave everybody loads on our caravan site. The boat took hours to clean with guts, scales and s*** everywhere. A much underrated fish from a culinary perspective.

I think I'm about daced out! Reverted to a bolo float on a slightly more sedate middle Tees. The pace of the river is reducing as the levels drop as low as I've seen them recently. I simply chose a lighter, thinner bodied, and finer tipped model of float. 135 dace, 5 grayling, 1 chublet and a surprise bonus (half decent) roach later and I'm knackered. Mercifully, no grayling were pinched today. Not even a hint of otter going through the swim. Though I've no interest in sitting it out legering big baits for them, I'm starting to wonder where the proper chub have got to.

How did you get on?-dsc_0107.jpg

That’s what you call a net of silvers!

So, on the pier yesterday, I haven’t fished on there for years, used to catch some nice bass down by the pilings then in the sort of sea I had today so, that was what I started out doing. A float with two hook trace with sand eels on and a clip on the end for a big weight that sinks the float. This sits on the bottom but the float keeps the rig up so the sand eels waft about just off the bottom The weight wants to be big enough to hold the rig steady in the current as lots of snags under the pier and you don’t want it to drift under in the strong current that was prevailing. The other point being I can change the weight quickly (a small drilled bullet with a piece of line through it that can just go on the clip)and fish on the top if the mackerel show which they did after about an hour. (you can cast with this off the beach alternating between static and floating although you won't cast as far floating weight but if you get tired of constantly casting with a lure makes a break).
    Small pods were spotted just off the pier; I had plenty of takes but failed to hook many of them, maybe blunt hooks or they were too big but I did manage two in the end. I went for smaller pieces of sand eel and put the bigger weight back on and left it static where the mackerel were appearing, fishing deeper like this produced more takes and gave some rattling bites.
    Only one other angler on there today and predictably he had quite a few feathering. Still I prefer float fishing on my light telescopic carp rod; they fight like little tigers on that gear. Four nice mackerel fillets went in the pan when I got home, very tasty they were to and I didn’t blank for a change, only just though

I fillet them on the beach Mike, avoid doing this at home if possible, a very sharp knife, just cut down behind the head to the bone and work the knife along the bone to the tail, less messy than gutting them, you lose some of the flesh but a lot cleaner and no bones, give them a run under the tap when you get home and they are ready to go. And rub your hands through sand or small pebbles afterwards if possible gets them clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-apicsfish-001.jpg How did you get on?-apicsfish-002.jpg 
    Last edited by markg; 17-09-2019 at 06:59.

Well I returned to Chernobyl and whilst Tigger was invited , he declined blaming car trouble. He is a wise man.

This was the scene.

How did you get on?-img_4213.jpg

It looks perfect and I was very optimistic and duly set up a carp rod and a feeder rod. The day was very pleasant and warm. There were a lot of positives to be drawn from the day and only one negative.

The positives included a wide peg, no disasters with Tackle, no smelly landing nets and plenty of bait left over. The negative was a blank!!!

There is always the CL tonight. Ian you made a wise decision as the catch reports were depressing.

A cold start this morning at the local reservoir, 4C, on Saturday it was 2.5C and not so much mist/fog.
    More fish rolling and splashing about than Saturday.The first run after a few head shakes the fish fell off,only a bream I told myself,the next bites was a skimmer.The third was just a single tone and a very hard fighting tench was coaxed out of the weed and into my landing net - a female of 4lb 10oz. And that was it ,no more bites but it did get warmer,one more tench than Saturday when I only had two real bream and two skimmers.Plenty of buzzards trying out the thermals but the best sight was when a van went down the lane and the breeze from it passing a buddleia caused 30+ red admirals,small tortoiseshells,commas and other assorted butterflies,bees etc to erupt in a massive cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Well I returned to Chernobyl and whilst Tigger was invited , he declined blaming car trouble. He is a wise man.

This was the scene.

How did you get on?-img_4213.jpg

It looks perfect and I was very optimistic and duly set up a carp rod and a feeder rod. The day was very pleasant and warm. There were a lot of positives to be drawn from the day and only one negative.

The positives included a wide peg, no disasters with Tackle, no smelly landing nets and plenty of bait left over. The negative was a blank!!!

There is always the CL tonight. Ian you made a wise decision as the catch reports were depressing.
    Its that time of year when things seem to change. The nights are cooler and the colour starts to drop out of the water.
    Dusk gets more and more productive. Species to target need to be thought about with more finesse tackle wise especially in those waters that have been hammered. Its why predator fishing has been popular in the winter.

How did you get on?-20190907_170335.jpg

Typical carp from out the margins late on at AstWood fishery - great fishing there
    Been a couple of times now with my Lad and also been to Coppice Lane ( Mostly listening to the Ashes ) but also doing a bit of fishing
    Including a feisty 8 LB carp on a light(ish) elastic plus others to 14 LB