Thanks Thanks:  548
Likes Likes:  76,062
Page 1387 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 387887128713371377138513861387138813891397 ... LastLast
Results 13,861 to 13,870 of 14214

Default Re: How did you get on?

s63-I walked the pier yesterday, the wind is up a bit and the sea was slightly choppy but still clear apart from the tide line about 20 yds. The deeper water at the end of the pier was very clear and some mackeral had been caught. The sea is still 18c apparently so I expect the mackeral to be about for a bit longer.
    I have seeen them in November though, a mild calm spell a few years ago brought hundreds of them inshore alongside huge shoals of Shad which people where collecting in buckets of the beach just a few yards in the sea, the sea was black with them and they where just dipping thier buckets in and picking them up.
    Last edited by markg; 20-09-2019 at 06:21.

Thanks Mark, I’ll let you know later if they’re still inshore at Hythe.

Been funny with them the last few years. There were loads about down here last year in January.

Early start again yesterday,we were first on fishery again,so back to same swims as Tuesday, just swapping with one and other,so I had the best swim today, beside the out of bounds area, feeding small amounts of pellets draws them out.

Slow to start with, no bites for well over an hour, fishing method feeder as usual, cockles didn’t work today, but the robin red pellets did,had a run of four fish in a row, which made me think I was going to have a good catch today, then it went quiet again, back to the odd bite, half an hour to an hour apart.
    A couple of today’s carp.
    How did you get on?-69516de4-0d01-4fb4-8115-a168e14c820e.jpgHow did you get on?-4c9f520d-b1fa-483a-8326-30bfbaa6eb52.jpg
    Now I been loosing a good few fish to the hook lengths breaking, as it’s hit and hold fishing to stop them getting into snags,
    Four inch hook lengths were breaking to easily, not enough give in them perhaps, even stepping up to twelve pound breaking stain line didn’t work,so last time in the tackle shop I bought a spool of good old maxima in twelve pounds bs, there’s more stretch in this than more modern lines.

Must say it worked a treat, hooked ten fish and landed eight, none lost to line breaking just hook pulls, so hopefully that’s that problem sorted,I always used maxima when I used to salmon fish, it was always strong reliable line.

Just have to tie my method hook lengths in this now for the carp.

Blog Entries

Went yesterday to the deep lake and after shenanigans(see bait box)ended up with 14 roach and 2 skimmers both about a pound and a half,a real yukky day spent coughing my heart out and feeling sh1t at the end of a cold,the fish are obviously feeling autumn coming,even though it was warm and as evening approached,I looked across the lake at the Norfolk reeds and it looked like a winters dusk....

I couldn't resist a last minute dash up the Severn yesterday, the flow levels looked perfect like last time but instead of going for chub and barbel it was an opportunity for big roach. I was armed with pellets and a bucket load of confidence even if the big girls had been elusive for me up there aside from one good day early season, conditions seemed right this time unlike on many previous trips.

On arrival my heart sank as I was greeted with a dark brown peaty river with about a foot or so of visiblilty, even the barbel guys struggle when it's like this, cold dark coloured water released from the reservoirs in wales. Trotting pellets in this colour would prove futile however I gave it a go, but with no success, I had something big on briefly but i'm dead certain it was foulhooked, so they were down there. Luckily I had taken a few maggots so caught plenty on them and It says something about a river to catch 7-8lb of dace and roach to 10oz and call it your worst day on that stretch, really needed three times the amount of bait I had though.

The scenery was as stunning as ever though, this photo doesn't show the true colour of the water

The only noise to be heard was the steam train opposite and the many splashes of heavy weights breaking the silence from the busy opposite bank, at once stage looking downriver I could see a dozen lines glistening in the sun all cast to my bank all motionless. All the features were on their bank and If they only knew they were casting into rocks and weeds my side in a foot of water. Bdoosh! every couple of minutes - the fish must feel pretty pressurised when it's like that. The only guy to catch was the one who turned up opposite me and cast to where I was feeding pellets mid river when I left, he had a barbel as soon as I got up the bank. I will always wonder why anglers on the lead don't feed like float anglers do on rivers, if they only knew how much it gets them feeding. I was happy for the guy though as he respected my side whilst I was fishing there and almost fell in at one stage.

I took the long drive home thinking of coloured water and taking up legering, those thoughts didn't last to long though and I'll be running a float through again somewhere else soon

Blog Entries

A change from Carp to skimmers, not my choice it was all down to the fish.
    Method with pellet hook bait, only had nine fish to around 2lb, most barely a pound.
    Loads of liners, proper bites were hard to come.
    Far too hot for my liking, it seems the bigger fish were all up in the water. I just refused to fish up. Spent most of the day enjoying a look around, watching other anglers.

Gordon (wetthrough) and I met up this morning for a day on a club water which I visited many times a few years ago but one which was new to him. I feel it is my duty to show him the club waters I have been to particularly when they can be tricky to find.

On balance i wish we hadn't bothered. It's a picturesque little water in a lovely location.

Attachment 7610

We had caught nearly a dozen fish within the first hour mainly perch to 8oz and roach of a similar stamp. I concluded, prematurely that we were in for a good day. I hadn't fished the water for 2 years or so and in that time trees had become overgrown and intrusive and the Lilly beds and reeds and bull rushes had tripled in size making a number of pegs unfishable.

Attachment 7609

Gordon can be seen probably frustrated by this time at the sudden switching off of the fish. I suspect the water hadn't been fished much and the landowner has changed. Those early fish probably sent a message to all the others that the barstewards were back and to give all unusual food items a wide berth. They certainly complied. We only managed a few more fish in the hours before we packed up. The sun shone, the à blew and we had helicopters for company. A lovely day though and thanks again Gordon for your company.

Attachment 7611

The water has some good roach, bream and tench but they were conspicuous by their absence today.
    Last edited by mikench; 20-09-2019 at 17:48.

5 of us fished at Runnymede today, our last practice session before Sunday’s club fixture. Bright sun, a parky east wind on my back and very little flow on the river.

Once again I set up a slider on my 15’ rod, a 12” waggler with a b611 size 16. Balled it with gb and got going.

Fished from 9:3 to 2:30, mostly roach 5 to 6oz took my double caster with one on tare.

Last edited by peter crabtree; 20-09-2019 at 17:55.

Blog Entries

An enjoyable day thanks Mike despite the fishing not being up to expectations.