Thanks Thanks:  549
Likes Likes:  76,204
Page 1389 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 389889128913391379138713881389139013911399 ... LastLast
Results 13,881 to 13,890 of 14227

Default Re: How did you get on?

Hi

First post in here, hopefully not the last. I had my first crack on the Stour today looking for perch. First time lure fishing in freshwater having only started in saltwater for bass back in may. I thought this could cover me for the winter and so I wanted to start looking for places I could go. I was set with a new 1-9g rod, 1500 reel, general bits and lures. I go to my location at 9am today and got the rod and unhooking mat and net out of the car and headed tot he river. I got there to find that it was quite a bit more over grown that I thought it would be. I was starting to think that the pole on my net would be too short, but would have a few casts anyway, when i realised i had forgotten my waist pack with all my lures. So I headed back to the car for them. I thought as I was there I would pop into Argos and bought a new net with a much longer reach, a Matt Hayes jobby, looks ok. I grabbed my lures as well this time and headed back to the river.

As well as the river bank being overgrown, the weed in the river was pretty dense and made it hard to go over it through it and in between it, so i was searching for pre-stamped swims and gaps in the weeds. This was quite difficult in its self. I could see lots of fry but nothing else bigger around. I tried casting tot he far bank, up river and down river and nothing was around, the water was crystal clear

I was tried all sorts of lures on dropshot around the 1 inch length mark (and on 2g and 3g jigs), surface salmo lil bugs, crayfish on jigs. And not a sausage. I walked about a 3/4 mile down the river trying everywhere I could. Nothing!!!

I was getting annoyed with the delicate nature and getting snagged in the weed, most of this down to me needing more practice on the new rod with such light weights. By now it was 12:30 so I decided to head back up the river to avoid the punts that were now coming through every 5-10 minutes and I guess disturbing the fish a bit more. Not sure if they could be reason for bad fishing, other than me of course, but I doubt it.

I walked on past my entry point to the river and found a bridge, there was no weed under the bridge, i guess due to light levels. I thought that this would be my last area to try before heading home. I stuck on the 3.5 inch crayfish lure with a 3g jig head. I started fan casting around, the water only up to 18 inches deep. I could feel the rocks and stones as I jigged and reeled slowly back in. Then I thought I had knocked into a big rock and there was a double tap. Then the rod bent over and the reel started clicking really quickly. After about 2 minutes I had a nice surprise, and was happy that the jinxing of buying a net wasn't applicable, a nice 51cm pike. He jumped a few times clear of the water and gave great account for itself. It looked like he was nibbled on recently under the rubbish in the picture below.

How did you get on?-pike_stour_51cm_crayfish-brown_210920191-1313-2-.jpg.jpg

I popped it back and it swam off ok. I then realised I didn't weigh it in all the excitement. So i changed lure to see if it would catch again, but no joy, not surprising really. I then spotted it about 8 feet out and the top was a perfect match to the silt and the fins almost not moving, I am not surprised at how close prey will get to them even in the open crystal clear water before the launch at it.

In your experiences what would a fish this size typically weigh, just to give a guideline?

I am thinking the river might be a bit over grown for me at the moment, so I am going to let it die down before I go back, but at least I have a winter area to go at.

Until next time

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGA; 22-09-2019 at 00:28.

Nice pin Sam. Is that a Browning?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGA View Post
    Hi

First post in here, hopefully not the last. I had my first crack on the Stour today looking for perch. First time lure fishing in freshwater having only started in saltwater for bass back in may. I thought this could cover me for the winter and so I wanted to start looking for places I could go. I was set with a new 1-9g rod, 1500 reel, general bits and lures. I go to my location at 9am today and got the rod and unhooking mat and net out of the car and headed tot he river. I got there to find that it was quite a bit more over grown that I thought it would be. I was starting to think that the pole on my net would be too short, but would have a few casts anyway, when i realised i had forgotten my waist pack with all my lures. So I headed back to the car for them. I thought as I was there I would pop into Argos and bought a new net with a much longer reach, a Matt Hayes jobby, looks ok. I grabbed my lures as well this time and headed back to the river.

As well as the river bank being overgrown, the weed in the river was pretty dense and made it hard to go over it through it and in between it, so i was searching for pre-stamped swims and gaps in the weeds. This was quite difficult in its self. I could see lots of fry but nothing else bigger around. I tried casting tot he far bank, up river and down river and nothing was around, the water was crystal clear

I was tried all sorts of lures on dropshot around the 1 inch length mark (and on 2g and 3g jigs), surface salmo lil bugs, crayfish on jigs. And not a sausage. I walked about a 3/4 mile down the river trying everywhere I could. Nothing!!!

I was getting annoyed with the delicate nature and getting snagged in the weed, most of this down to me needing more practice on the new rod with such light weights. By now it was 12:30 so I decided to head back up the river to avoid the punts that were now coming through every 5-10 minutes and I guess disturbing the fish a bit more. Not sure if they could be reason for bad fishing, other than me of course, but I doubt it.

I walked on past my entry point to the river and found a bridge, there was no weed under the bridge, i guess due to light levels. I thought that this would be my last area to try before heading home. I stuck on the 3.5 inch crayfish lure with a 3g jig head. I started fan casting around, the water only up to 18 inches deep. I could feel the rocks and stones as I jigged and reeled slowly back in. Then I thought I had knocked into a big rock and there was a double tap. Then the rod bent over and the reel started clicking really quickly. After about 2 minutes I had a nice surprise, and was happy that the jinxing of buying a net wasn't applicable, a nice 51cm pike. He jumped a few times clear of the water and gave great account for itself. It looked like he was nibbled on recently under the rubbish in the picture below.

How did you get on?-pike_stour_51cm_crayfish-brown_210920191-1313-2-.jpg.jpg

I popped it back and it swam off ok. I then realised I didn't weigh it in all the excitement. So i changed lure to see if it would catch again, but no joy, not surprising really. I then spotted it about 8 feet out and the top was a perfect match to the silt and the fins almost not moving, I am not surprised at how close prey will get to them even in the open crystal clear water before the launch at it.

In your experiences what would a fish this size typically weigh, just to give a guideline?

I am thinking the river might be a bit over grown for me at the moment, so I am going to let it die down before I go back, but at least I have a winter area to go at.

Until next time

Chris
    Hi Chris
    Well done catching the Jack, most probably weighed a couple of pounds. I think I know exactly where you fished if you were troubled by punts, they end in a few weeks time. Try fishing further downstream from The Millers pub going passed Sainsbury’s, the punts don’t go down there. You’ll wait a long time for the weed to die away, not til late winter.

Great report, keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Nice pin Sam. Is that a Browning?
    Mike, Browning pins have a nasty habit of being a corporate red wine colour, which means you can spot them a mile off.

Nice post and well done Chris from Herne Bay. It is difficult with weed nowadays. I dont know if they are still fisherable or indeed still in existence but when I lived in Kent I fished some drains near Seasalter. Might be worth a walk to see.

I fished a match yesterday. A rare thing for me but it was in memory of a member deceased.
    I fished my socks of for under 3lb of bits to come nowhere. If you didn't have a carp or two in front of you you didn't have a chance.
    Nice day with lots of banter nevertheless. I must say I found it strange fishing that close to the angler either side of me.

10 of us turned up at Runnymede this morning, cloudy and damp but quite warm. The Thames was like a millpond and as usual barely moving.
    I drew downstream end peg which was pleasing until a pleasure angler dropped into the next peg down...
    Set up slider on my 15' rod and pole at 13m, a top 4 rig with a 1gr float.
    Started on the slider and double caster and no bites after 15mins, changed to double maggot and had 2 roach but it was slow.
    After 45 mins I put the pole out in 10’ of water over the gb I’d potted in earlier. Immediate bites from dace and roach but no size.
    Midday the rain and wind set in, stayed with the pole as I couldn’t cast the waggler with the brolly up.
    From 1pm to 4pm it was painfully slow but I was picking up the odd roach and perch on double maggot.

Weighed in 7:14:0 which got me 3rd, winner had top end peg and 10:7:0. 2nd 9:7:0...
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 22-09-2019 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Nice post and well done Chris from Herne Bay. It is difficult with weed nowadays. I dont know if they are still fisherable or indeed still in existence but when I lived in Kent I fished some drains near Seasalter. Might be worth a walk to see.
    They still exist John, access definitely for the more agile and adventurous angler, but there are rewards to be had so I’m led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post

It was my hope to go back to Hythe and catch more mackerel but looking at various webcams I was put off by the strong winds blowing, here at the estate all was calm, beautiful and serene.

It has got up the wind and stirred it up a bit. I believe this drives the whiitebait out to deeper water and the mackeral follow them. The sea is fairly calm today but still murky, some maybe caught but not in the numbers of recent days. It's getting time to lob a big bait out for Autumn bass or a small worm on small hooks in the murky shoreline for some Dover Soles, I fancy they will still be about as the sea is still warm and they will come inshore in the day time with a bit of cover, in a clear sea it's normally night time.

I should have gone, a mate had 17 on feathers, they were chasing white bait into the beach and that was in rough murky water!