Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,978
Page 1397 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 3978971297134713871395139613971398139914071447 ... LastLast
Results 13,961 to 13,970 of 14678

Default Re: How did you get on?

Well that was upcock. Two photos!! The 2nd one appeared from the past. I dont know why. 1st One was today.

My angling rehabilitation continues!

A weeks Barbel fishing in France. Great banter, good food and wine and I caught 51 Barbel to 8-12 (8 chub to 4-08, a 4lb Bream and 3 Roach over a pound. Fabulous week.

Most caught on banded glued elips behind an open ended feeder.

Planning next outing.

Stu

I have not done much river Carping for quite some time & have had a hankering to try and bank a good one so with the days drawing in I knew it was now or never for this year. I cooked up a few buckets of mixed particles, some sinking dog biscuits and some boiles, and prebaited a spot on the river. Its actually a tributary but still a large river in its own right. I don’t have time for long sessions so it was going to be short sessions & I wanted to put the odds in my favor.

Prebaiting take some effort ,preparing bait, filling the buckets, making the round trip to bait up often well after dark (@1 hour to get there bait and return) and then go through the motions again each day. I am usually confident fishing a swim after 3 days of baiting but for various reasons I could not get down to fish it till after 5 baiting trips. I noticed on the last trip several swirls close in as I arrived to bait.
    The swim itself was on some little steps down to water level but completely overgrown, ideal as clearly no one had been fishing it and I could bait and fish undetected. I cut myself a nice opening in the undergrowth and created a tight little swim from were I could fish 2 rods.

On arrival I flicked out a couple of baits and settled back. An hour or so later the rod tore off and after a short but spirited battle I landed the Mirror below. He was a bit of a warhorse but these are wild fish from a big river not a small stocked pond. Every one is welcome. 3 more bites came my way, a Barbel, a Chub and a nice Bream so it was a nice quadruple for a 3 hour session and good start in the new spot. It also summed up why I like the rivers so much, you just don’t know what the next bite will be.

I’ll keep the bait going in and cross my fingers.

How did you get on?-carp.jpg
    How did you get on?-river.jpg
    Last edited by Philip; 04-10-2019 at 21:29.

Lovely Carp - any idea on weight ? Looks a good double ?

Thanks, I didn’t weigh it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Thanks, I didn’t weigh it.
    The one i caught last week, probably only about 4lb but it is the catching of a wild river carp that does it, something very satisfying about it I find whatever the weight.

Just a couple of hours on the pier yesterday to use up some left over bait from a month ago, about 5 lug and 5 sand eels, frozen of course which is not always the best bait. Did not catch anything and the rain drove me off in the end but as often is the case it’s the people you meet that made the day.
    Three other blokes fishing, serious guys with all the gear, last Wednesday they had loads of fish, one bloke kept a log of it all which he showed me and allowed me to take a picture. Pouting, Dover Soles, Dogfish, Whiting and 4 Cod!! The cod were about 4/5lb he said, not seen any caught on the pier for a long time. What a day they had, his log book recorded the lengths, not the weight and he said they had had 40ft and so many inches of fish between them. He knew exactly and that wasn't counting all the small fish about 70 he said, what a character and what a day’s fishing. He showed me some pictures and there were some hefty Dover Soles up to 2lb.
    So, they are there on the right day and you’re prepared to put in the time and effort, wish I could do more of that.
    The sea was churned up a bit with a 4 or 5 wind blowing, I was using my carp rod with a 2oz weight and a two hook trace casting at the bottom of the peir into a little gulley hoping for anything but, bass sometimes follow that gulley which is what I was hoping for. I missed the high tide though which would have been better. The guys on the end were only catching loads of pin Whiting this day and they got fed up, they just snaffle everything up before anything else gets a chance. No two days are ever the same fishing!
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-afish30th-004.jpg How did you get on?-afish30th-005.jpg 
    Last edited by markg; 05-10-2019 at 07:45.

Got a bathroom to fit at home, and doing my utmost to avoid starting it, so went down the river for a few hours armed with some bread and a few maggots. Nice gentle weather today, and the river was looking nice.
    How did you get on?-img_20191005_104502515.jpg

Chucked a bit of mash in a few swims and had some runs through with a bit of flake, not much doing, so changed to maggot and things really picked up.
    Ended up with a nice mix of small Chub and Dace, with a few better ones of both.
    About 15 mins trotting in the net head.
    How did you get on?-img_20191005_122052238.jpg

Took my youngest down to the weeping willow swim described in my last post here. Target species perch, bait was lobworms. She only had one fish but it was a nice one that had the clutch whirring.

How did you get on?-2019-10-05-15-08-26.jpg

Love the pink perch gloves!