Thanks Thanks:  551
Likes Likes:  76,569
Page 1398 of 1429 FirstFirst ... 398898129813481388139613971398139914001408 ... LastLast
Results 13,971 to 13,980 of 14281

Default Re: How did you get on?

You obviously managed to get enough lobs the other night!

I'd only been fishing for barbel until lately, and it didn't seem worthwhile to keep posting the same report, plus or minus a barbel or two. But just before the latest floods, I had a day with Steve (Binka) on a little river over his way. We got saturated in no fewer than three separate downpours, but the fishing was a treat with umpteen different species caught on canal-style gear. Steve had four tench and four carp, and I sat on a little weir, trotted a little waggler, and caught chub, dace, perch... and tench! If you look to the left of the chub's nose, you can make out Steve among the foliage.

Today, with the main river just starting to come down from 6' on, I thought I'd try the marina if I could find a bit of dry land to fish from. I ended up in armchair comfort, with water conveniently lapping the edge of the access road.

With 12' of water under the rod tip - it was a long rod - I opted for a centrepin and a 2AAA waggler sliding a foot between stops with an olivette at half depth and light shotting below. A few balls of groundbait and loosefed hemp got plenty of bites from roach on tares

Seed baits are best for the roach here, but I'm always sorry that you miss out on the perch, so I fed another line with casters and had a try for a perch now and again

The conditions - weather and water - were just right, and the fish were keen to feed. That includes the pike, and there are plenty in here. The first two to snatch a roach spat it out after I'd played them for a bit. The third got itself hooked in the scissors, and after a long fight that covered pretty well every inch of the water in front of me, I was looking at a beautiful beast of a pike that I'd guess weighed over twenty pounds, parked on the surface in front of me. My landing net was about a quarter of its length, so I detached the keepnet and tried to steer it in. I had its nose in when it decided to react explosively, and that was that. It seemed a shame that, having got the thing in, I couldn't get it out, but I'd had a decent morning's fishing

A visit to Grove Ferry and no Lithuanian trawlers insight.

Bagged my favourite swim which surprised me being a Saturday and arrived just as the tide was about to turn and ebb out.

I normally have to spend an hour feeding the swim little and often to get the roach going but today they were biting from the first cast and a few were in the net after the first hour. They then decided to switch off and the next few hours it was hard going trying different lines and different depths.

The upside though was the fact that the roach were slightly bigger than usual and using a size 22 hook to 1lb 10oz hooklength meant a few needing the net.

Last visit I was harassed by over enthusiastic pike, today they were absent, much to the dismay of a pike angler trying his luck in the next peg.

Enjoyable as always with a few fish to show for the effort.

I had a few hours on my favourite venue and spent a good part chatting with members. For reasons I cannot fathom I was often asked what tactics to adopt , the best swims and baits- as if I had a clue.

I caught 30 fish but no carp pleasingly . Today was gudgeon city and this pic shows a monster.

How did you get on?-img_4312.jpg

Very enjoyable and Liverpool won so what more can I ask.

I felt like a change today so I went down to the Colne in town.
    Low chair, and rucksack instead of 4 wheels and a pile of gear..
    Started off in this swim....

Nothing there so I moved upstream to another one.

Just took meat for bait and punched out pellet shaped baits which I impaled on a 12 barbless carp feeder hook.

I started getting tugs on the bait but whatever it was wouldn’t take it properly? I began to think my 8” hooklink was too short so the fish were feeling the lead and spitting the meat. A quick change to a 2’ hooklink and I recast. As I tightened up and went to put the rod down it was nearly wrenched out of my hands.. Fish on!
    It must have taken the bait on the drop and hooked itself against the tip of the rod...
    After a tug of war I landed it, a chub of exactly 5lb..

The swim was trashed so I set off downstream and settled in another swim.

Had just one proper bite and the fish shot off like a train heading for a fallen tree. I managed to divert it into net distance and it surfaced, an angry slab..

Then someone started chucking a big lure in the next peg up, of course it was Neil 1970.
    Had a good chat and a cuppa back at his....
    Happy day..

Is that the North Harrow Waltonians stretch ?

No. Next one up..

Had an hour and a half before darkness fell at a local pond, One mirror carp of around 2 1/2 lb was all that took interest in a hair-rigged punch of Plumrose's finest, but the sights of the approaching evening were better than the fishing, across the water I kept hearing the splosh of boilies being dropped into the margin, but no one was there, several times I saw and heard the splosh splosh, then realised a Jay in the overhanging oak tree was gathering (and dropping a fair few) acorns, and flying off with them. the call of a green woodpecker, echoed around, then a brief fly past from it, a rat swam by very close unaware or uninterested that I was sat there quietly. a genuinely memorable short spell of not catching much, but at least it wasn't a blank.

Blog Entries

Well the casters survived, they lasted pretty well in the pellet pump. A breath of fresh air every day to prevent them from dying and they were quite fresh looking.
    Had my day tormenting roach, not very successful.
    I managed a few smaller samples, very slow going. May have had a few more if my terminal tackle could have stayed intact, kept getting trashed with carp.

A quick couple of hours on a local day ticket spot, last minute decision, The dreadful forecast was rather wrong again, or I would have planned to go earlier, and apart from the wind, it was a great afternoon, 4 common carp, ranging from 1lb to 6lb, then this 15lb-er zoomed off a hundred yards from the margins where it gulped double sweetcorn on a size 14.....How did you get on?-img_.jpg
    Birdwise, a Buzzard, a Kestrel, a group of Long-Tailed T1ts. a good few dragonflies about enjoying the sunshine too.