Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,978
Page 1399 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 3998991299134913891397139813991400140114091449 ... LastLast
Results 13,981 to 13,990 of 14678

Default Re: How did you get on?

Thames at Windsor today for a clubby. Lovely place but hell of a walk to the pegs...The flow on the river was quite pacy after the recent rain.

I set up on the bank as there was just enough water for the keepnet. 15’ rod and slider (as usual).
    Mixed some gb and prepared my initial bombardment...

Small roach first chuck followed by a proper one.
    Double red maggot on an 18 wide gape was doing the biz, the quality roach showed well for most of the 6 hours. At one point the water level dropped by about 2’ and my net was looking perilous. I had to dismantle my box and move it down to the gravel. An hour later it had risen and was almost touching the bank again, I dismantled it again and moved back after donning my waders..

After 6 hours the whistle blew phew! I was knackered but happy with my efforts.
    I thought I had about 13lb as the scalesmen arrived but I was surprised when he called 19lb 4oz.
    That was enough to win, 13lb 5 was second and 7lb third.

12 fished...
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 06-10-2019 at 18:41.

Nice to see some pics of decent weather. It started raining in my location at tea time last night. It hasn't stopped since. The rivers that were just about returning to a sensible level have shot back up. At this rate I'll be having another day on a stillwater, if the rain ever lets up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    I felt like a change today so I went down to the Colne in town.
    Low chair, and rucksack instead of 4 wheels and a pile of gear..
    Started off in this swim....
    Then someone started chucking a big lure in the next peg up, of course it was Neil 1970.
    Had a good chat and a cuppa back at his....
    Happy day..
    thanks for the lift home mate, much appreciated, and lovely to see you

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Nice to see some pics of decent weather. It started raining in my location at tea time last night. It hasn't stopped since. The rivers that were just about returning to a sensible level have shot back up. At this rate I'll be having another day on a stillwater, if the rain ever lets up.
    I very nearly booked a week in a cabin this last week to fish the river up there. Things happened domestically and I am glad I didn't regarding the amount of levels I have been watching on the website!!

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I very nearly booked a week in a cabin this last week to fish the river up there. Things happened domestically and I am glad I didn't regarding the amount of levels I have been watching on the website!!
    You missed the window of opportunity in the middle weeks of September. I was out fishing on the river nearly every day for two weeks. Since then, the river has been up and down (or up a lot more), like the knickers of the proverbial lady of negotiable affection. Just as it drops to a reasonably sensible level, it chucks it down again. On the bright side, I'm saving a small fortune in bait.

This is just a footnote really, nothing much to say about yesterday, just a short couple of hours on my free stretch and it was as dead as a dodo. However, I had a good little session last week and I have concluded it was the bait, some left over frozen hemp and sweetcorn mix. The sweetcorn had gone very soft and the hemp must have palyed a factor so, I will do that again next time, yesterday I was using bread.

As today was likely to be my last chance for some course fishing until mid November, I decided to chance the weather and go. The trouble with getting to know a venue owner on a personal and professional footing is that one feels guilty about not going. Today I went.

How did you get on?-img_4325.jpg

This lake, one of 4, had a good head of bream, Rudd and quality roach to 2lb and some perch over 4lb. Sadly the pollution caused by fertiliser run off in march killed them all or most of them. The carp survived however because of a different gill metabolism apparently. I hadn't been because of this and told the owner so. He plans to restock but doesn't know when.

I set up with the Amorphous Whisker at thirteen feet and a hybrid feeder with RR pellets and meat. I only caught three but this was a real bruiser of a mirror weighing just over seventeen pounds. My net was too small.

How did you get on?-img_4323.jpg

I enjoyed the battle and the rod was excellent. I have decided to stick with the original reel seat fittings rather than having a Fuji reel seat fitted , one to maintain originality and two I like them once fitted correctly and in line with the armalock handle. They say nostalgia isn't what it used to be; I disagree.
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-img_4326.jpg 

Last week I was faced with a raging flooded river Wye. Never mind, the local Indian restaurant in Ross provided a very suitable place to adjust our plans.

We had arrived on Monday evening to see nothing but water well into the fields and flooding the riverside pubs. Ross looked like an island amid a brown ocean, massive chunks of tree whistled past at a rate of knots together with the odd dead cow. But on a positive note not a canoe to be seen!

The following morning revealed the river had dropped by several metres and almost fishable (if you closed your eyes and thought positive thoughts).

But second cast to roughly two rod lengths out, upstream with a 3oz feeder and a massive bow in the line, produced a nice little barbel.

How did you get on?-71483082_10156650400337253_5379745918935367680_n.jpg

How did you get on?-71497442_10156655787162253_6715083626725244928_n.jpg

Not a lot happened for me after that but others did find a few, others didn't!

The river rose again during the day, then dropped, then rose again. So, the following day, after a leisurely breakfast, we reconvened on the river bank. Dodged a few showers and cowered under our brollies during a violent thunder storm and repeated the process of the previous day.

How did you get on?-71493393_10156650385682253_7036633186633252864_n.jpg

Several barbel for some, the occasional long distance catch and release for me and blanks for others.

How did you get on?-71203244_10156649538372253_9181671245895172096_n.jpg

How did you get on?-71883819_10156654543997253_9156500942244282368_n.jpg

All in all a superb couple of days in the best of company, can't wait to do it all again!

After my recent blank at the Moat, I decided to go and fish Alders Pines lake today.

Slow start,sunny turning to quite heavy rain.

After the rain stopped, the swim picked up quite well. Think I landed about 10 and lost one.

Using my Feeder rod and method feeder, with a 10mm pellet on a band.

This guy was about the best of the bunch, certainly did not want to come and join me bank side lol...How did you get on?-img_1861.jpg

Wandering about on the canal again this morning at Foxton hoping to catch something lure fishing,ended up chatting with a couple from New Zealand who had picked up their narrowboat yesterday in Market Harborough and moored with two other couples doing the same narrowboat holiday,one from the US,the other couple from Australia.Twenty minutes later another narrowboat turned up with three very polite Chinese or Japanese men on board.Time to leg it away from the locks to quieter waters where I had a perch of 15oz on a 2" minnow jig.Spent a few minutes watching a kestrel quartering a field on the far bank and on returning to the basin,the boat traffic had died down and had a second perch smaller than the first,then a coach load of children turned up - time to go.