Thanks Thanks:  541
Likes Likes:  74,620
Page 1402 of 1402 FirstFirst ... 402902130213521392140014011402
Results 14,011 to 14,016 of 14016

Default Re: How did you get on?

One of those days when it just didn't go right in many ways. I turned up at one fishery down a long lane on a farm. I could not get near it due to a humungous agricultural vehicle stuck plus all the attendant farm workers trying to work something out.
    I suppose one just has to accept this sort of thing in a rural county. Most times you get a venue to oneself.

I drove to an alternative with the "wrong" gear and blanked apart form some tiny perch.

There were these toadstools in abundance at the alternative venue. Pretty but they look deadly. Anyone know what they are called?

How did you get on?-001.jpg

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

They look like Fly Algaric but I'm no fungi expert. Very poisonous but very attractive....my brother gets them in his garden !

Blog Entries

Fly Agaric. Poisonous although deaths from eating are rare, it takes quite a few to kill apparently.

Amanita muscaria, or fly agaric.

According to my mushroom book....

"Poisonous, the common name comes from breaking the cap into a saucer of milk, used since medieval times to stupify flies.
    It is a strong hallucinogen, and used by the Sami in northern Scandinavia, they swallow pieces of the dried cap.
    Effects are unpredictable, and for practical purposes, the mushroom should be treated as deadly poisonous".

A late in the day, "screw it, I've got nothing better to do" session on the river.
    It's much lower than it's been for weeks, but it's still up a bit. The fish were up for it though, and no minnows! Seven grayling and seven trout in a couple of hours. I'm still left with enough two week old maggots for at least one more dabble.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    Amanita muscaria, or fly agaric.

According to my mushroom book....

"Poisonous, the common name comes from breaking the cap into a saucer of milk, used since medieval times to stupify flies.
    It is a strong hallucinogen, and used by the Sami in northern Scandinavia, they swallow pieces of the dried cap.
    Effects are unpredictable, and for practical purposes, the mushroom should be treated as deadly poisonous".
    I have been seeing quite a lot of mushroom-like stools lately but they have white gills underneath. I believe these are very deadly as well, so avoid them.