Thanks Thanks:  597
Likes Likes:  79,202
Page 1404 of 1472 FirstFirst ... 4049041304135413941402140314041405140614141454 ... LastLast
Results 14,031 to 14,040 of 14711

Default Re: How did you get on?

That’s looks a nice little oasis Kev, nice find!

Hertsbloke.

Catching your first ever tench mid October is pretty good, to me it looks 2 to 3lb.

2. Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    That’s looks a nice little oasis Kev, nice find!

Hertsbloke.

Catching your first ever tench mid October is pretty good, to me it looks 2 to 3lb.
    Yep - I said 2 1/2 at least when ai looked at I - great fish for this time of year!

Blog Entries

nottskev that looks like a great place. Ticks all the boxes for me! Great find and some cracking fish.

You lucky blighter Kev and with continued luck you'll have it mainly to yourself. An eclectic mix of species too; right up my street.

Back to my old fishery yesterday, thought I’d try for the roach for a change, and I’d be able to use my pole again, so back to my favourite pond on here, and the peg I wanted.

Plumbed up at six metres, and it was nearly six foot deep, as I was at the deeper end of the pond, fed a couple of balls of groundbait, it’s a black one they make in the local tackle shop, and it works well, also a bit of hemp and a few maggots.

First put in I had a nice roach of a good half pound, which was a good start.
    How did you get on?-9d1922e2-2dbb-4d7a-8ee7-d6858d4c0ba9.jpg
    That was to be the biggest of the day, although I did catch a lot more.
    Including this bream.
    How did you get on?-d3d9c1c1-46e8-4d3e-80a9-95b7bdce23f4.jpg
    Had quite a few small perch, as usually happens using maggots, this was the best.
    How did you get on?-ec3cdace-e89f-4f81-a36f-a200f8a2674e.jpg
    Never had a perch here bigger than a pound, although I have seen bigger ones chasing fry, they were doing that yesterday, also had a few Rudd including this one.
    How did you get on?-62b178e9-2255-41b1-b166-3c9b6f7a5df0.jpg
    I caught fairly steadily all day, finishing with a total of forty six fish in all, nearly all caught on the bottom, although I was loose feeding maggots over the top, only a few small roach on the drop, and nothing fishing up in the water.

Nice day out, it was warm in the sunshine around twelve as I had my sandwiches, till it clouded over later,around three it started to feel colder, so I called it a day.

Quite a few birds about, several lots of wild geese flying west, also redwings, long tailed ****, lots of wood pigeons, a kestrel, and I had a wren foraging for food right beside me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    PS. My Drennan 3 metre twistlock handle is no more a twistlock. I cannot see anywhere for a spare grommet on the web so I have left a message with Billy Clarke's. Fingers crossed as a new handle is over £50 I think. This is the longest I have ever had a landing net handle so Hey Ho !
    I had the same problem and resolved it temporarily by putting some small pieces of elastic band in the gaps between the forks.

How did you get on?-twist_lock.jpg

I think the main problem was leaving it locked when it was packed away. It relies afaics on slight outward pressure of the forks to stop the grommet turning. Leaving it locked might be enough for plastic memory to stay compressed enough to stop it gripping the inside of the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    I had the same problem and resolved it temporarily by putting some small pieces of elastic band in the gaps between the forks.

How did you get on?-twist_lock.jpg

I think the main problem was leaving it locked when it was packed away. It relies afaics on slight outward pressure of the forks to stop the grommet turning. Leaving it locked might be enough for plastic memory to stay compressed enough to stop it gripping the inside of the tube.
    It's not about memory, it's about wear. Sooner or later, both the tube it contacts and the contacting faces of the grommet wear down just enough that it no longer locks. I've no doubt your way will work, but it won't work very long. Eventually it'll wear so much that forcing even thicker bits of elastic in there won't help enough. You'll also end up screwing down into the widget so much that it'll strip the threads of the widget.

Paint the four contacting faces of the widget with something to build them back up. The snag is that the outer pole will eventually wear and get thin. Once that fails, no amount of mucking about with the widget will make any difference, it's new handle time.

If you can't be bothered with all of this, get onto Drennan and ask them for a new widget. The best way is to ask your friendly local Drennan dealer. Failing that, Facebook is worth a shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Eventually it'll wear so much that forcing even thicker bits of elastic in there won't help enough. You'll also end up screwing down into the widget so much that it'll strip the threads of the widget.
    We'll see. It's been working for about four months now. BTW it isn't very old, bought early last year. Bought from a local shop so if it does fail I'll see what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    With the feeder as a guide, it's difficult, but I'd guess at 1lb, although it is quite thick set so maybe more (the feeder might be putting my guess off).

We're in a transition period with fresh cold rain entering the watercourse the change in daylight hours and falling temperature, that feeder may have been a bit on the large size?

Well done on the capture, that's a nice looking fish
    Thanks!
    I have a smaller cage feeder, but as its quite deep, I was worried all the groundbait would have come out of it before it hit the floor. Not sure if thats actually the case tho.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    We'll see. It's been working for about four months now. BTW it isn't very old, bought early last year. Bought from a local shop so if it does fail I'll see what they can do.
    Mine's over ten years old and sees a lot more use than most. I've been maintaining it my way for all that time. It gets fully disassembled and cleaned. Then the grommet gets the surfaces built back up. This happens once or twice a year. It's not had a new grommet since the very first time I stripped the thread on one. They don't fail completely until they've worn significantly. Proper failure of the grommet will be either the threads stripping, or the plastic disintegrating. Failing to lock is just an indication that the grommet is worn.