Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,978
Page 1414 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 4149141314136414041412141314141415141614241464 ... LastLast
Results 14,131 to 14,140 of 14678

Default Re: How did you get on?

Nice fish John, to return after a soaking you deserved it.

I was out twice last week and both days were very hard going.
    The cold nights, high pressure, easterly wind and bright autumn sun simply killed it stone dead.
    Our codgers match Tuesday near Tring was abysmal with tiny gudgeon making up most of my net. 50 or 60 to the pound I reckoned...With 2 hours to go I chopped some worms and bait droppered them in on my near shelf, hoping to arouse some perch. Even this failed to produce a bite. Even the micro gudgeon which I’d been catching on the far bank had dried up. With 5 minutes left I decided to pack up but thought I’d drop in on the chop line for one last try and caught a skimmer...

Thursday a few of us went up to Leighton buzzard to practice for next Tuesday’s codger event.
    Once again it was cold, bright and an east wind, once again it was a major struggle.

Once again I tried the chopped worm and caster up the far shelf, this time on the pole. Once again I had one skimmer and a few tiny roach.

Yesterday and today were much milder but windy and wet and I just couldn’t work up any enthusiasm .
    River Thame tomorrow and I’m gagging to get out again but it will be hard I’m sure...
    Watch this space....

A strange one for me today. 5 or 6 wasps, nothing of significance but I was trying new spots and I can't complain.

While dropshotting off a lock bridge I noticed my line going for a walk. No bite to speak of, but I reeled in all the same. A little Tommy Ruffe was on the end! Never thought I'd catch one of them, bit of a strange one, but I'm pleased nevertheless.

No idea how rare they are but a few friends say they're not so common.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have neither caught one or seen one and I usually attract small fish. They must be rare then.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have neither caught one or seen one and I usually attract small fish. They must be rare then.
    Haha! I must admit I was very surprised. Such a weird take as well. It had swallowed a decent size worm, and the hook, it was a nightmare getting it out but we got through it!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a ticket for some woodland ponds on a big estate. Steve liked the look of it too and joined, and we met up there this morning. There's a chain of stream-fed ponds/lakes, and they'd been full to overflowing in the week, with the pegs - and banks in places - underwater, and the water heavily coloured. So it's not surprising, looking back, that the fishing was hard. But you couldn't ask for a prettier or more tranquil place to fish.

Last time I'd been, the fish - a lovely mix of ide, chub, bream and barbel - had all been in mid-water, so today, expecting the unexpected, I set up a waggler and a couple of pole rigs to let me fish various depths and distances. The last time I set up three rigs I was fishing for money - setting stuff up and putting it away aren't my favourite things. And as it turned out, a simple home-made dibber was the most successful on the day.

Neither of us had a bite for the first couple of hours. I was just complaining to Steve, who'd walked round, about this when the waggler dipped and there was a bream on the end. But that was it from the waggler line, although I fed it and tried it through the day.

An hour or so later, I had a little run of ide on the pole. I don't see ide often. They are handsome, solidly built fish, but to me they seem like chub with the batteries taken out:
    the resistance they put up is small for their size.

And after that my swim died, and I couldn't get another bite for more than an hour and called it a day.

Meanwhile, Steve had a more or less opposite experience. He didn't have a bite for the first half, then caught ide - one massive - and a barbel.

But it didn't rain, and the place is a delight!

That’s going to be wonderful in the Summer Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by tommos16 View Post
    Haha! I must admit I was very surprised. Such a weird take as well. It had swallowed a decent size worm, and the hook, it was a nightmare getting it out but we got through it!

They used to be so common on the Thames that they were a nuisance. Now I have not seen one for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    They used to be so common on the Thames that they were a nuisance. Now I have not seen one for decades.
    From a bit of reading apparently they're bouncing back quite a lot up north, but after asking my grandad who's fished for 55 years he'd never even seen one never mind caught one, so it's one for the record books for me!

Plenty in my local canal (Llangollen) they love worms and have big mouths for their size, There are quite a few in the Severn by me as well